• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • weezy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indiana
    I've come across some old medical books, and although some of the procedures seem straight medieval, they really did have other things pretty well figured out.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Pretty cool. That far back in history, it either worked or you died. No pharmaceutical company profits to consider, no malpractice insurance, no "well, it worked in the lab!". If you turned into a newt, you either got better, or died a newt.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Until we overuse it and breed resistance to it, that is...

I heard from a nurse once that the reason superbugs like MRSA developed was actually because of "underuse". That is to say, people would take their antibiotics, but instead of taking them for the entire course of treatment, they would stop once they started feeling better. This didn't kill all the bacteria the way it should have if they would have finished the course of treatment. The bacteria that were left then essentially became breeding stock for the superbugs. IANAD though...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    That is partially true. It is also partially because antibiotics have been way over-prescribed, including for viral problems. This kills off smaller bacterial infections that the body could handle on its own, but leaves occasional bugs that could resist the antibiotics to carry on and grow. Both paths have contributed to the problem.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is partially true. It is also partially because antibiotics have been way over-prescribed, including for viral problems. This kills off smaller bacterial infections that the body could handle on its own, but leaves occasional bugs that could resist the antibiotics to carry on and grow. Both paths have contributed to the problem.
    That makes sense. I think there's a lot of wisdom in the saying, "Rub some dirt on it." We've become such a paranoid, hand sanitizing society that kids aren't building up the resistance that they used to.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I heard from a nurse once that the reason superbugs like MRSA developed was actually because of "underuse". That is to say, people would take their antibiotics, but instead of taking them for the entire course of treatment, they would stop once they started feeling better. This didn't kill all the bacteria the way it should have if they would have finished the course of treatment. The bacteria that were left then essentially became breeding stock for the superbugs. IANAD though...

Both overuse and under use lead to resistant bacteria...it is a losing battle

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There was a program on History Channel a few years ago, back before they started airing "reality" trash, and they were highlighting ancient medicine. The had unearthed some apparent surgical tools that were dated at over 1000 years old. When compared to their modern day counterparts they were almost identical in shape and form. The modern tools were used for extremely delicate brain surgeries.

If we only know half of what we've forgotten thru the centuries it would be mind boggling how much more advanced we would be!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Fascinating read.
    Most doctors, if they're honest about it, would tell you there are multitudes of order more that they DON'T know...
    Amazing to see what they figured out way back when.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Both overuse and under use lead to resistant bacteria...it is a losing battle

Don't forget the gross overuse of antibiotics on herd animals to keep them alive and upright in feedlot type situations. Our quest for cheap meat has some potentially big comeuppances in the pipeline that doctors have been warning about for years. Substituting herdwide antibiotic shots instead of liveable conditions has generated a ton of resistant bugs.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Interesting. In 2011 I had MRSA infection on my cheekbone it was confirmed by a doctor. I didn't take the regular antibiotics, instead I used a mixture of Common Plantain, White Oak, Garlic, Onion, and turmeric as a poultice, and as an infusion 2-3 times a day. It worked extremely well. To this day I have had no recurrence of the infection.

One reason herbs and plants are so amazing is they are chemical factories. Common Plantain, Garlic, yarrow and so many others host a variety of antibiotic, antibacterial, antiinflammatory properties, each. This is much more than a specifically formulated synthetic antibiotic, thusly modified infections are able to spread when people don't have the variety.
    Back in paleo times, in colonial America, and ice age Europe a lot of wild plants hosting these properties were eaten as food, so they got pretty substantial doses of antibiotics daily. Probably why they didn't experience modified infections at the rate we do today.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Interesting. In 2011 I had MRSA infection on my cheekbone it was confirmed by a doctor. I didn't take the regular antibiotics, instead I used a mixture of Common Plantain, White Oak, Garlic, Onion, and turmeric as a poultice, and as an infusion 2-3 times a day. It worked extremely well. To this day I have had no recurrence of the infection.

I have had more than several guys with MRSA infections, usually attacks the legs for some reason.

1861, that is amazing. Where did you get the recipe? Have you related your experience to a medical school or the like?

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

There is a valid reason for prescribing antibiotics for viral infections. A viral pneumonia... rarely fatal by itself. The true danger comes from bacteria secondary infections of the lungs that lead to death. This is one example of why antibiotics are prescribed for viral illnesses.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    There is a valid reason for prescribing antibiotics for viral infections. A viral pneumonia... rarely fatal by itself. The true danger comes from bacteria secondary infections of the lungs that lead to death. This is one example of why antibiotics are prescribed for viral illnesses.

Nonononono!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    A few years ago, I had MRSA on my elbow. I rubbed a little bit of flu vaccine on it twice a day and it cleared right up. It gave me the flu of course, but just a little amoxicillin and clotrimazole got me over the flu in just a day or so.

Unfortunately, I'm now autistic as hell. :(

Top Bottom