• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I know about the mech tech CCU for GLOCKS.

Some calibers benefit from very little ballistically from the longer barrel--9mm and .45 both aren't much faster from the longer barrel per BBTI. The ability to shoulder the weapon is the main benefit-- and the most important one.

Other calibers respond very favorably to longer barrels--especially the traditional magnum revolver calibers.

If I want a semi auto PCR that has appreciably better ballistics, what option besides 10mm mech tech is there?

Anyone else making a 10mm carbine?

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    10mm is an awesome round that a lot of people still don't know about. I know there are a couple H&K clones (Mp5 style) in 10mm, Olympic arms makes a 10mm AR and if you check youtube people have even done Hipoint conversions for 10mm. I don't think I would trust a Hipoint with a full pressure 10mm but whatever floats their boat.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I LOVE 10mm. I have several 10mm hand guns and EDC a subcompact glock 10mm. Im with tula in that I'm not really aware of any 10mm carbine options other than whats listed. I would however love a nice 10mm option. I'm going to bookmark this thread and hopefully someone has some real experience with one.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Other than the magazines, I love my Olympic Arms 10mm. I posted a side by side velocity comparison for several different 10mm rounds I did through the G29, G20, G20Longslide with 6.6"bbl, the 9" LWD G20 bbl, and my Olympic Arms. The velocity gain was appreciable.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I have a .40S&W AR-15 that I love! It uses Glock 22 mags. I don't see why you couldn't do the same bolt modification and buy a 10MM chambered barrel and use the 10MM glock mags. Not sure on the magwell, it may need to be larger.

My .40AR has a 4" barrel and I shoot it suppressed, but even without the suppressor accurate 100 yard shots are easy.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I have a .40S&W AR-15 that I love! It uses Glock 22 mags. I don't see why you couldn't do the same bolt modification and buy a 10MM chambered barrel and use the 10MM glock mags. Not sure on the magwell, it may need to be larger.

My .40AR has a 4" barrel and I shoot it suppressed, but even without the suppressor accurate 100 yard shots are easy.

^^^ Can we see some pics of this beast? Sounds awesome

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    10mm is an excellent cartridge out of a handgun.
    With full power (most factory loads from the big makers aren't really in this category) loads, it consistently outodoes the hottest .357 Magnum loads by roughly 50-150 foot pounds.
    Out of a carbine length barrel (assuming at least 16 inches), it should be even more impressive.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    You could just go old school, but the build and magazines are pretty expensive. A blast to shoot though.

mp5-10.jpg

FreeFAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I don't see how this would be superior or even equal to a centerfire rifle chambering.

Once I realized this point, it steered me away from a Sub2000 to a folding stabilizing grip AK pistol for my truck gun. Ain't much bigger, and way more effective.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I don't see how this would be superior or even equal to a centerfire rifle chambering.

Once I realized this point, it steered me away from a Sub2000 to a folding stabilizing grip AK pistol for my truck gun. Ain't much bigger, and way more effective.

Ballistically no, but less felt recoil, a lighter weapon, and cartridge compatibility with a side arm might be beneficial to some.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

How about the same muzzle energy as a 5.56 round, but from a round twice as massive and nearly double the diameter?

Not sure how a 5.56 is "way more effective" in that scenario.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I guess it comes down to as always, what you intend to use the firearm for. If said firearms intended application is for use in survival situations at maximum ranges of 100 yards or less, than a 10mm will be effective. But my criteria in such a firearm is governed by maximum versatility. In a purely survival application (defense and hunting) 10mm will do most anything a 223 will at 100 yards or less, but at any range beyond 100 yards the 10mm is ineffective VS the 223, and the recoil out of my 16" M4 carbine is a non factor. If the reason I'm buying a carbine is one of all around survival, then one chambered in a CF rifle caliber like the 223 or a 6.5 variant is in MY opinion a better all around choice then any HG caliber, again in MY OPINION.

Top Bottom