XLBIsv5

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    ok have you tried live ammo?....the lips on them look chewed up....they might not be caught by the shell latch and letting them get pass...

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    ok have you tried live ammo?....the lips on them look chewed up....they might not be caught by the shell latch and letting them get pass...

They were new when I started, they are super chewed up as I have been trying this. Live ammo is doing the same thing though, just tried it now.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    yes i see that.....the dummy rounds is what i thought was the follower.......i thought is was spitting the follower out too....

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    When you put the trigger assembly back in did you put it in the cocked position before installing?
    My 1100 (1949 vintage) 20 ga will do something very similar to this.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    When you put the trigger assembly back in did you put it in the cocked position before installing?
    My 1100 (1949 vintage) 20 ga will do something very similar to this.

i didn't think the 1100's where made before 1963?...may be a model 11?....i never have cocked any of mine to get them back together and function right....

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    as i said no 1100's where built before 1963......read where it says Remington 1100 Facts:

I picked this up at USDS last year with 3 barrels. The rear sight on the smoothbore slug barrel was broken. WE looked everything up to find the part. The numbers showed it to be a '49 issue. Flat rear sight, on barrel, screw/spring adjustment.
    I'll have to dig this out and take another look at it. Sure seems to fall into the '64 or later according to the link. Good to know. Thanks.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Is it possible that my bolt is traveling too far back? I didn't think they'd make the gun that way but it was 1950. The bolt/slide pushes the carrier latch out to stop shells, and when the bolt is fully back it's well past the carrier latch so it isn't engaged.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    So I've managed to make something weird happen. If i simulate firing it my pulling the barrel back I can see the two different latches actuating.

So I did that, pulling the barrel back and it only dropped one shell because the barrel stopped depressing the shell latch and the timing was corrected.

However, it still dumps every single shell if i use the charging handle instead of the barrel, and it didn't use to do this. Before I would load the gun by putting two in the magazine tube, cycle the action using the handle to put one shell from said tube into the chamber, and then load my last shell into the magazine tube. Now if I try to do that it dumps every single shell (hence the thread).

With the gun working in this way, it's impossible to have the gun loaded without leaving one in the chamber so even though I could possibly shoot skeet with it I still want to figure it out.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    ok did some looking at mine and done some testing with mine 16.....the only thing that stops the shell from dumping with the bolt opened is the carrier latch.....i took mine apart and stuck a piece of paper behind the carrier at the bolt end.....guess what?......it dumped the shells took it out and shells stayed....

would you might have got some shaving from filing the dimples in behind it?......or just could be some goo back there that got balled up there when you took it apart?

this is what i have come up with so far.....

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    ok did some looking at mine and done some testing with mine 16.....the only thing that stops the shell from dumping with the bolt opened is the carrier latch.....i took mine apart and stuck a piece of paper behind the carrier at the bolt end.....guess what?......it dumped the shells took it out and shells stayed....

would you might have got some shaving from filing the dimples in behind it?......or just could be some goo back there that got balled up there when you took it apart?

this is what i have come up with so far.....

I definitely did get some shavings in it but I also cleaned the mag tube super well after. There was no way to get the follower out without filing the dimples so unless I did it upside down some shavings we're getting up to the follower and eventually the receiver.

I tried to only file at the dimples. I used a ten inch long round file and they're smooth as butter now. I think that the problem is almost definitely in the receiver somewhere because the mag tube is pretty simple. Also since it works when I pull the entire barrel back, which doesn't change anything for the mag tube (as far as I know), then I don't know.

I have a bid on a carrier latch on eBay. I think that might fix it but I don't see how it could since the latch looks intact.

Do you have a lot of play in your bolt assembly? Mine can slide all over the place but he firing pin and locking block definitely work.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    did you read where i said the CARRIER LATCH is what you got something behind it at the bolt end???????....as i tested it and reproduced your problem........and yes i have filed many many dimps out of sportsman so i know how it works....

Top Bottom