• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Is a 12 ga really that much better than a 20ga for shooting clay pigeons? I found a really nice 20ga over and under, but everybody tells me not to get it. They say a 12ga is much "better" for trap/clay/skeet, etc.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    20's are nice if your going to be doing a lot of shooting at once just for the recoil factor. but i shoot a 12. i need all the pellets i can get.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Over unders are great skeet guns, I'd say if you found a really good deal on one go for it. You might have to change out chokes with a 20 to hit the ones in the distance but it'll still be a great skeet gun. And you'll be that much better at if you ever go to a 12 gauge.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I prefer a 20ga for skeet. It seems like i can aquire the second bird a little faster with a 20ga because of less recoil and your shoulder feels better at the end of the day.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Cool. Those were my thoughts as well. This 20ga I found just felt perfect. You know that feeling. Just felt right. I'm gunna buy it! Thanks for the advice.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Cool. Those were my thoughts as well. This 20ga I found just felt perfect. You know that feeling. Just felt right. I'm gunna buy it! Thanks for the advice.

Every time you miss one you'll wonder if you'd have broken it if you had a 12. If you really want both a 12 and a 20, go ahead and get the 20. If you only want to buy one gun, get a 12 gauge.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine

I agree with 1BV8...

Over unders are great skeet guns, I'd say if you found a really good deal on one go for it. You might have to change out chokes with a 20 to hit the ones in the distance but it'll still be a great skeet gun. And you'll be that much better at if you ever go to a 12 gauge.

but I also think a semi-auto 12ga chuggin shell after shell is pretty damn sweet too :D

Lets hear back from you after you've had a chance to put it through its paces! :yesway: :ingo:

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    if you go with a semi-auto, 12 or 20 gauge would just be up to you as the recoil from them is much less anyway, although i prefer 20 for long days of shooting, but a 12 will reach out a little bit further

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Went to the Indiana Gun Club last night. Didnt realize that the Indiana State Shooting event was there this week. Lots of shooters. Everyone there said go with a 12ga. Auto is ok, but over and under is better if you do a lot of shooting. Less moving parts to wear out or fail. The gun I wanted is a Zoli 20ga over and under. They said its a good gun, but not made anymore and parts will be difficult to find if I ever need them. Saw a Winchester 101 12ga. for a decent price brand new that felt really good. So now I am really thinking about going with a 12ga over and under. Got some really good advise from a guy that competes and works for IGC.

splunkinoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    I'd say 20 gauge, I shoot skeet weekly and could not imagine doing it with a 12 gauge. It's not that I couldn't handle it now, but no sense in messing up my shoulder in the long run.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I know several people who use 20ga to shoot both skeet and trap. If you are looking for a challenge then go with the 20ga.
    If you are just looking to bust birds then go with the 12's.

I even know of one old coot who uses a .410, but only when some kid is bragging and needs a lesson in humility.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    It only takes one pellet to break a bird. Get the gun and caliber you want. The NSSF wouldn't have categories for 20 gauge and below if they couldn't break clays.

All Bore: 12 gauge or smaller.
    20 Gauge: 20 gauge or smaller.
    Small Gauge: 28 gauge or smaller.
    Sub-Small Gauge: .410 bore only.

DanS26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    SE Indiana
    Most times if you are going to shoot trap or skeet you will spend a few hours at it. A twelve ga just beats me up over that time period.

For trap I use a 16 ga full choke auto which will smoke most 12 ga mod chokes all day long. We play a game called "protection" in which if the first man misses then you can break his bird. My 16 ga full choke wins most times.

For skeet an open choke 20 ga will definitely do the job and you will be able to sleep that night without the sore shoulder.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Went to the Indiana Gun Club last night. Didnt realize that the Indiana State Shooting event was there this week. Lots of shooters. Everyone there said go with a 12ga. Auto is ok, but over and under is better if you do a lot of shooting. Less moving parts to wear out or fail.

Hummm? Interesting? Sounds strangely familiar.

Top Bottom