• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My 13 year old came and asked if he could get a job. My being rather stupid (and having grown up in NY) said "I don't think you can get one until you're 14 or something".
    He quickly responded that 13 year old's could get a job in agriculture in Indiana, as he informed me he had already looked it up n the internet, and tried searching for farm jobs without success.

I know my wife detassled corn as a kid here in Indiana, but most farmers around here are growing grain corn, so I am at a loss as to where to help him look. Any ideas? I'm guessing maybe 4H might've been a good help here (had he joined). I'm sorta clueless when it comes to farm jobs...
    I suggested posting a small ad in the local small town post office we have, and calling a retired DNR neighbor (who didn't know anyone off the top of his head, but would keep him in mind).

Any other ideas?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Liztucky?

Sorry, Lizton. Hendricks county, between Pittsboro & Jamestown. It's fairly rural.

Cutting grass.... newspaper delivery ?????

Um yeah... Most use tractors or ZTR's to mow around here. News delivery is done via car. It's not the suburbia I grew up in (having done those as a kid).
    There are a lot of farms out here... just seems most are doing grain/feed corn. Most around me have kids of their own, and I rarely see them helping in the fields. I've never seen anyone detassling. Aside from posting an ad in the PO as mentioned previously, I wasn't sure if anyone would know of any sort of 'summer farm jobs list' that we aren't privy to. as of yet, neither of use have found anything on the interwebz.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I made a killing as a kid mowing grass, raking leaves and shoveling snow! Hats off to your son for wanting to work and not play all summer. The boy is developing a great work ethic! When I was his age you could detassle corn but I think you had to be 14?? And have a work permit. Back then(the dark ages) it was a buck 50 an hour!

I opted for lawn work and various chores. Paid better over all. I did a bit everything. Scraping and paint houses garages, barns. just about anything to make few bucks! Eventutally I got a job in a TV shop sweeping floors and pickup and delivery grunt. It's turned in to a career. I wish your son the best! I think he is a awesome young man!

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Kudos to him for wanting a job!

if/when my 10 yr old decides she wants one, I'm going to make one up if I have to!

Is there a co-op or diner nearby where he could post an ad on a bulletin board?

A warehouse sweeper? Funeral home car washer?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Detassled for Pioneer seed corn in Greene County a long time ago. Putting up square bale hay was another summer employment, but I don't see much hay being harvested like that. Top marks for your son Robby, just don't see kids looking for ag work these days.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Detassled for Pioneer seed corn in Greene County a long time ago. Putting up square bale hay was another summer employment, but I don't see much hay being harvested like that. Top marks for your son Robby, just don't see kids looking for ag work these days.

I've two neighbors who bale hay. He's like his dad at this age, and only weighs 60 lbs. Baling hay is sadly not an option for him lol poor kid.

We're adding grass cutting/yard work in hopes that some people in town (maybe 300 homes on small 1/4 acre lots) may be looking for odd jobs/help

I was amazed when I lived in Indy for 7 years, I never once had a kid come ask about grass cutting. :n00b:
    Maybe there's a chance no other kid has offered to those in town here either

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Pioneer(the seed corn company) still employs lots of kids to detassle. Check with them and see if they have any ground in your area that they either own, rent or lease. Here is a starting point phone number-Pioneer Hi-Bred International 812-875-2400

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

Pioneer(the seed corn company) still employs lots of kids to detassle. Check with them and see if they have any ground in your area that they either own, rent or lease. Here is a starting point phone number-Pioneer Hi-Bred International 812-875-2400

Excellent! Thank you!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I made a killing as a kid mowing grass, raking leaves and shoveling snow! Hats off to your son for wanting to work and not play all summer. The boy is developing a great work ethic! When I was his age you could detassle corn but I think you had to be 14?? And have a work permit. Back then(the dark ages) it was a buck 50 an hour!

I opted for lawn work and various chores. Paid better over all. I did a bit everything. Scraping and paint houses garages, barns. just about anything to make few bucks! Eventutally I got a job in a TV shop sweeping floors and pickup and delivery grunt. It's turned in to a career. I wish your son the best! I think he is a awesome young man!

According to what we are seeing, it's 14 for everything except agricultural work (which is 13), or news paper & golf caddy (not available to him). So he is limited for a year (at least via an employer).

Minors under the age of 14 may only be employed as a newspaper carrier, golf caddy, domestic service worker (work performed at a private residence), entertainer (with certain restrictions) or farm laborer, as described in Indiana Code 20-33-3-6.
    Minors under the age of 12 may only perform farm labor on a farm owned by the minor’s parents.

There is no requirement for a minor to obtain a work permit for the above referenced occupations if the work is not performed during hours in which the minor is required to be in school (defined as 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.). No minor, however, may be employed in any occupation during hours in which the minor is required to be in school, unless a written exception is issued by the school that the minor attends.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I made a killing as a kid mowing grass, raking leaves and shoveling snow! Hats off to your son for wanting to work and not play all summer. The boy is developing a great work ethic!
    I made more money doing the same thing than I did when I started as a stock boy at age 16.

My dad cannot get around to well and has a kid helping him with landscaping, gardening, painting, etc. Basically all the stuff he made me do as a kid for free but he actually pays this boy.

What about babysitting? While girls have been the go to babysitters there is no reason a boy can't do it. Pays good, year round, doesn't conflict with school. Bonus is after the kids are in bed he is getting paid to watch TV and eat someone else's food.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I made more money doing the same thing than I did when I started as a stock boy at age 16.

My dad cannot get around to well and has a kid helping him with landscaping, gardening, painting, etc. Basically all the stuff he made me do as a kid for free but he actually pays this boy.

What about babysitting? While girls have been the go to babysitters there is no reason a boy can't do it. Pays good, year round, doesn't conflict with school. Bonus is after the kids are in bed he is getting paid to watch TV and eat someone else's food.

Something I hadn't thought of. And he may be open to. He's fairly reliable in this capacity, and will likely call for advice often (but that's better than thinking he has it under control).

I mowed lawns and shoveled driveways as a kid, though I didn't consider them 'jobs'. At his age I answered a newspaper ad for a dog sitting job, my first official job I found on my own. It was part time, 3 days a week.
    It may pain some to discover that my first 'real' full time job was via a state wide summer jobs program for under-priveleged kids (I grew up on social services). It was from this type of program that I realized what working truly meant, and how it could get me out of the lifestyle which I was surrounded in.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Sounds like you have a good kid, congratulations.

I worked on a produce farm from 8th grade till after I graduated and it was some of the hardest work I've ever done but also the most rewarding.

I wish you the best of luck with his job search.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Dress him up in scruffy clothes and take him down to the nearest crossroads with a "Help the Homeless" sign...I saw in the news tonight they arrested some panhandler downtown and he'd raked in almost $800 IN ONE DAY.

Top Bottom