• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dpzj96

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    ECI
    My $50 PSA lower is getting lonely. After much research, I have decided to go with a PSA rifle kit for my first AR build. Now, the decision relies on what kit I want to purchase. This is just going to your basic, KISS AR with iron sights.

My question lies in the 14.7" barrel kit. On PSA's website is says that the A2 flash hider is pinned and welded into place. Does that mean that once it is pinned and welded the barrel is 16"+ making it a legal rifle length, or would it be a 14.7" barrel after flash hider is permanently attached?

Here is a link to the kit I am thinking about:

Palmetto State Armory 14.7'' 5.56 Hammer-forged, Chrome-lined Mid-length Rifle Kit

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    It would be 16" with it attached. You would be better off with a 16" barrel, more velocity and if you ever wanted to screw a silencer, or such on you have threads. If the pinned flash hider was removed, it would be a unregistered short barrel rifle.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Your guess is as good as mine, but my suspicion is that the 14.7 is a legal upper. Regardless, you can call them and simply ask.

Phone Support: 1.803.760.4004

That's the number on their website and that sounds like a support kinda question.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I have one of the 14.7" uppers and love it. I did a Keep It Simple Stupid rifle with it and I'm quite impressed. I also have one of their 16" inch uppers and am equally impressed. You really can't go wrong with either one!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Your guess is as good as mine, but my suspicion is that the 14.7 is a legal upper. Regardless, you can call them and simply ask.

Phone Support: 1.803.760.4004

That's the number on their website and that sounds like a support kinda question.

As Combat45ACP said, the 14.7" with a pinned A2 is DEFINITELY a legal barrel. The barrel has to be 16", but you CAN include muzzle devices IF they are permanently attached (pinned and welded or 1100 degree silver solder). That is the reason they use the 14.7", so that an A2 will get you to legal length. With a standard 14.5" barrel, you need a longer flash hider, like the extended A2's or one of the longer products to get you out to a legal 16".

I think 16" M4 profile barrels are really ugly, as there is just too much barrel past the M203 cut, but pinned flash hiders DO limit your options.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom