• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I would be curious to know if any state since the civil war has ever started a petition to leave the union before.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    if they were to get the needed number of signatures, then what? doesn't it need to be ratified by Indiana senate?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    It's just some ticked off folks filling out a form on a WhiteHouse.gov website.

Nothing to see here....move along...move along...

When a legislature of one of the several states does this in a formal manner, that will be news.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I really don't see how this would benefit us at all. Maybe if it gets enough signatures, it will cause some action to be taken in our own state government.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I honestly fail to see how seceding from the Union is going to make things "Better" for Indiana. Unless we figured out how to become energy and sustenance independent, we'd be pretty well up the creek.

inrunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Huntington,IN
    How can people from other states vote for Indiana leave? I just don't see the point unless they were dragging you down. So the people voting for this like Indiana or hate? Just throwing it out there.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I honestly fail to see how seceding from the Union is going to make things "Better" for Indiana. Unless we figured out how to become energy and sustenance independent, we'd be pretty well up the creek.

Nothing would change, really, other than who the checks are written to. Our energy usage and consumption would not change, and would be paid either intra-state or inter-state. I would imagine that state taxes would go up, to counter the loss of federal funds ( money we would no longer pay to the Federal .gov would instead go to the state), and we would instead engage in commerce with the former union or fellow states that went their own way as well....:twocents:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It's just some ticked off folks filling out a form on a WhiteHouse.gov website.

Nothing to see here....move along...move along...

When a legislature of one of the several states does this in a formal manner, that will be news.

I agree. It appears that anybody can start a petition. So it's not really the State that is petitioning to leave the Union, just some guy in said state and a few thousand others who agree. I could start a petition to rename all the States after my favorite colors if I wanted to do so.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I agree. It appears that anybody can start a petition. So it's not really the State that is petitioning to leave the Union, just some guy in said state and a few thousand others who agree. I could start a petition to rename all the States after my favorite colors if I wanted to do so.
    Tell me you're not going to name it pink. ;)

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Think of all the outsourcing that will come to IN, and land values taking off as they become out of country tax shelters for those in the US. And while state taxes would go up, IN is in the black, can't say that about the Feds, so it might be better managed, with smaller prolems simpler solutions; with the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing. Less spending on mandated healthcare. Foreign policy would be a whole different game as well, pretty much surrounded, but many.

IN has power plants and oil and I'm pretty sure mines coal as well, much of it is an export to other states.

But in all reality, we need to reduce the size of the gov not run from it.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would refuse to be Ambassador from the Great State of... Magenta.

This is all just verbal masturbation. The whitehouse.gov website is clear. It has to get X amount of signatures in Y time and be something the president has power/authority over, and I guarantee you that Obama would claim he doesn't have authority to grant Indiana withdrawal from the Union.

That being said, if it happened and Indiana became its own country, it would be a net benefit to us. We are a net creditor state to the Union. We pay more to the federal government in taxes than we get back in benefits, so on that basis alone, just cutting ourselves free of the crushing national debt and replacing all federal programs with state programs using the same tax funds we already pay, it would be a HUGE boon to us.

All federal properties in the state would immediately revert to state ownership. The federal courthouse in Indy would become the American embassy in Indiana.

All of these crushing taxes and regulations, however, would immediately return to a sane level, and that would be the biggest boon. No more Obamacare taxes. No more EPA regulations/cap & tax. Indiana is energy independent modulo petroleum. We have lots of coal to generate electricity with, and as our own nation, we could finally build a couple of nuke plants to insure that in perpetuity.

We do have petroleum, but it's no where near enough to refine all of the gasoline and diesel and kerosene we need. Wish it were, but it's not. We would still be importing a lot of that from the other 49 states of the Union, but a return to cheap electricity would definitely spur domestic Indiana developement of electric vehicle engineering. We could become the alternative energy (plus coal and nukes) mecca that the eco-whackoes have always dreamed of.

rjwin1967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    The only thing signing this petition will do is to get your name on a list. Later on, you will be awakened in the middle of the night by the gestapo (DHS) and hustled off to prison. Signing petitions didn't get any ground with King George or Lincoln and it will certainly not get any with B.O.

ashlynsdaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    if all the red states would go together we would have enough resources. The rest would be hungry without our grain and beef.

GlockPaperScissors

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    South Bend, IN
    The only thing signing this petition will do is to get your name on a list. Later on, you will be awakened in the middle of the night by the gestapo (DHS) and hustled off to prison. Signing petitions didn't get any ground with King George or Lincoln and it will certainly not get any with B.O.

This makes me worried enough to stop signing the ridiculous amounts of online petitions I do. The government is eventually going to come knocking at my door.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But how many of those other states that went red in the presidential race also went red in their Congressional races? In their state house races? In their gubernatorial races? We all know that Indiana "went red" again and is also so thoroughly red at the state level, but how many other states are in a similar red/blue political circumstance, nevermind our fiscal solvency.

Top Bottom