• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    3000 fps and very flat to 200yds and less wind drift than 17hmr.

Sounds pretty awesome but don't know what I would do with it.(will probably have one if ammo availability becomes good)

Definitely overkill for squirrels and I already have a coyote gun.

What's everyone else's opinion?

Sorry if this has been discussed I can't use the search function on my phone.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I actually have the same issue with it's little cousin the .17 HMR. Cool little round, but I really don't have a use for it. I found that I prefer my .22s for squirrels, and like the OP, for coyotes and larger critters I have centerfires for the job. The smaller .17 HMR is already a very explosive little cartridge throwing the 17 and 20 grain pills that fast. I see the .17 WSM as a kind of a niche cartridge that has no home in my arsenal. :twocents:

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    What could you realistically and consistently hunt with it? i've seen videos and heard stories of deer downed with a .22lr...wouldn't this new cartridge be able to best that with those velocities? Hells that make for an awesome bigger game hunter training round IMO

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I've always used my 17hmr for skunks, armadillos, crows, and anything else that's dumb enough to stay within range when checking the fields at night during deer season for idiots on yer property who aren't supposed to be their. Granted most shots are 50yrds away which is about max for the little bullet. When the Winchester finally hits the market, I figure it will do the same thing but reach out to 75yrds, heh.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Look up 17 Remington Fireball. 4000fps with 20 grain bullets and its centerfire.
    Talked to a person about four years ago that had a 17 Fireball. He said that it was like shooting a lazer, fast and flat. The only drawback he had was that the barrel was fouled with powder after 4-5 shoots.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I actually have the same issue with it's little cousin the .17 HMR. Cool little round, but I really don't have a use for it. I found that I prefer my .22s for squirrels, and like the OP, for coyotes and larger critters I have centerfires for the job. The smaller .17 HMR is already a very explosive little cartridge throwing the 17 and 20 grain pills that fast. I see the .17 WSM as a kind of a niche cartridge that has no home in my arsenal. :twocents:

this is my problem, what I can't kill with a .22 a .22 Hornet will do for me so I suppose in the long run I am not sure why I ever bought my .17 HHR. It's about the only gun I don't shoot much and I'm thinking it may well be time for it to go to market.

Turfweazel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've always used my 17hmr for skunks, armadillos, crows, and anything else that's dumb enough to stay within range when checking the fields at night during deer season for idiots on yer property who aren't supposed to be their. Granted most shots are 50yrds away which is about max for the little bullet. When the Winchester finally hits the market, I figure it will do the same thing but reach out to 75yrds, heh.

50 yards? I regularly take ground hog at 200 with my hmr it has more than enough punch to go that far. But as for the wsm I don't think I will worry about getting another gun just to gain 625 fps.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Granted it is not for squirrel hunting, neither is a .223 or a 22-250. To me, this is a great "medium" distance, high volume varmint round for someone who does not want to reload. It would be ideal for prairie dogs where hundred of rounds per day are required and the shooter wants to shoot without expense of a centerfire or the reloading time involved.

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    this is my problem, what I can't kill with a .22 a .22 Hornet will do for me so I suppose in the long run I am not sure why I ever bought my .17 HHR. It's about the only gun I don't shoot much and I'm thinking it may well be time for it to go to market.

Send me a PM if you're serious about selling it. I've been thinking about a .17 HMR gun for awhile.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I like 17's but I am not sure where it would fit. I use the 17HM2 for squirrels and then jump up to the 17 fireball for chucks and fox. In my current state, PA, there are special reg areas where you can only hunt with a rimfire and I can see it fitting in those areas for chucks and coyotes. Or maybe if you just do not want to reload.

Top Bottom