• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    So Indiana changed the law back in 2022 so that anyone above the age of 18 can purchase and carry a handgun, However I am aware I cannot walk into a store and purchase from a FFL. Is there any tips someone would give me before going to a private sale to not get denied and have the proper paperwork ready?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    Ok but this prohibits me from purchasing form a licensed dealer (as stated in the article name) in indiana but not from receiving as a gift?

Last edited:

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    Also I found this on the ATFs website stating it’s 18 for private sales https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/minimum-age-gun-sales-and-transfers

ROOTS54454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2024
    You are only prohibited from purchasing from an FFL by Federal law. You can purchase as an 18yo from a private individual as long as you are an Indiana resident and not a prohibited person. There is no required paperwork, however some sellers may want to see a DL and or a LTCH.
    Ok thank you sir I already applied for my LTCH and am going in for fingerprints soon

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    So Indiana changed the law back in 2022 so that anyone above the age of 18 can purchase and carry a handgun, However I am aware I cannot walk into a store and purchase from a FFL. Is there any tips someone would give me before going to a private sale to not get denied and have the proper paperwork ready?
    A few things, first 18 yr olds have been able to buy and carry in IN I believe since it became a state. 2nd what they did in 2022 was get rid of the requirement to have a LTCH.

There are no paperwork requirements for a private sale, that being said some sellers want to see DL for proof of residency and LTCH for "proper person".

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That is only from an FFL. Not private sales.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ok thank you sir I already applied for my LTCH and am going in for fingerprints soon
    If you're planning to buy on here it requires 50 "quality" posts or a site supporter subscription. But some sellers like to be able to get a feel for the person on here so hang out and join in.

Oh and welcome to INGO. A good place to start letting people get to know you is here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    First, welcome to INGO.

A couple tips on the private sale meetup. Make sure its a well traveled public space during the day. E.g. a gas station parking lot (but away from the building and the main parking area)

If you will be coming with a friend, let the seller know. Nothing sets you on edge as a seller like expecting to meet *A* guy yet a car rolls up with FOUR guys in it. That screams "I'm about to get robbed". (and sometimes that is correct)

And as Billybob said, read the rules and go to the intro thread and say hi.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There is no official entity to deny or approve private sales if you are an Indiana resident. Some private individuals may want to make the transaction through an FFL. This couldn't legally happen if you are under the age of 21 (see comment #2). As long as you are not a prohibited person, there are no other impediments or requirements when a private person is selling a handgun to an 18 year old fellow resident in Indiana. It's all up to the seller. It could be just a cash and carry deal. Some may want to see your driver's license and/ or Indiana Handgun License. Some may want to have a receipt made out to prove that the gun is no longer theirs. As I said, it is all up to the private seller.

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    My nephew just went through part of this he God back from basic training and his father had to purchase the handgun and gift it to him. The only other problem is you cannot buy the ammo so we had a guys shooting day and all the guys bought ammo for the event and left what wasn't shot

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My nephew just went through part of this he God back from basic training and his father had to purchase the handgun and gift it to him. The only other problem is you cannot buy the ammo so we had a guys shooting day and all the guys bought ammo for the event and left what wasn't shot
    He can buy ammo, as long as he has a PCC he "intends" to use it in :cool:. The law state ammo that is intended to be used in a handgun. So someone 18-20 can buy any ammo they want, as long as they "intend" on using it in a rifle.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    He can buy ammo, as long as he has a PCC he "intends" to use it in :cool:. The law state ammo that is intended to be used in a handgun. So someone 18-20 can buy any ammo they want, as long as they "intend" on using it in a rifle.
    Good luck with most places understanding that and also having their point of sale systems recognize that, though.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Good luck with most places understanding that and also having their point of sale systems recognize that, though.
    Might have a problem at wally world and such, but probably not much anywhere else. Heck I saw someone get asked at wally world which it was for. Guy looked way young, clerk checked his license and asked. Guy said rifle, clerk said okay and rang him up. Lord it was 9mm.

Heck if they couldn't do that under 21 would be pretty much limited to shotgun shells other than .410. Look how many "rifle" rounds pistols are chambered in.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    And who knows what could happen when under 21 and possessing a handgun in another state? It could be like going into "The Twilght Zone"!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Ok but this prohibits me from purchasing form a licensed dealer (as stated in the article name) in indiana but not from receiving as a gift?

You have always been able to carry a gun in Indiana at 18, but the paradox was you could not legally purchase a pistol until 21. My father gifted me my first pistol and I got my lifetime CCW permit the day I turned 18 in 2013.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And who knows what could happen when under 21 and possessing a handgun in another state? It could be like going into "The Twilght Zone"!
    Have to check their laws, used to be had to be 21 to carry in FL and I think TN. Probably others as well. Some were like IN where it is 18. And some were 18 if current or former active duty military.
    You have always been able to carry a gun in Indiana at 18, but the paradox was you could not legally purchase a pistol until 21. My father gifted me my first pistol and I got my lifetime CCW permit the day I turned 18 in 2013.
    You couldn't purchase from a FFL, private party is and was legal.

Top Bottom