• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Once upon a time in my youth, my favorite local gun dealer took in an 1898 Krag which had been parade chromed and had a stock that looked like it spent two wars being used as a club. It was ugly AF but he only wanted $60 for it. It didn't take long for me to get attached. It was a fun gun and I just liked the way it went "boom". Some POS kicked my door in and helped himself to it.

Since then I have been looking for the right replacement and finally found the right deal while I had some extra green for an 1899 carbine. I was leaning toward the carbine as a preference and given the cost figured I would have to settle for a cut down rifle rather than the genuine article, but here it is. All it needs to be correct is a proper rear sight and a handguard. It just so happens that in my collection of odds and ends I have both a handguard and a correct 1901 carbine rear sight. The handguard will have to be fitted and finished and I will have to follow up when I have time to work on it, but here is my new acquisition:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887613805#carousel-modal-view-item

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When I bought it, I had a lengthy discussion with the seller. It had belonged to his dad who fought in Korea and is no longer with us. Both of them had entertained the idea of restoring it to original configuration and never got around to it until he finally found himself running out of space. I sent pictures last night after finishing, which left him deeply moved and at peace with selling.

The amazing part is that I already had the parts. New handguards ate on indefinite backorder. I haven't seen any used ones. A 1901 carbine sight (not to be confused with a 1901 rifle sight--same design with different graduations) scandalized my sensibilities at $200 10 years ago. Now I am seeing prices closer to $500. Without having parts I bought at much more reasonable prices back when this project would not have been viable.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Very nice. Wouldn't you just love to find the scumbag that broke into your home and hang him from a tree out back?

Last edited:

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I still want a Krag carbine!!!! And that ones a beauty!!! Watched Death Hunt as a kid and loved it. Have a minty older Savage 99 but hope one of these days to find a Krag carbine as nice as yours..... Congrats!!!!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I love my Krag. I don't have the carbine, I wish I did, but mine is unsporterized and it's in decent shape. I've found the actions on these rifles to be smooth and I can't get over how cool the side loading magazine is.
    Agreed! Mine have been sporterized into the carbine configuration, but agreed about the action. I think they're even smoother than the Enfields, and that's saying something.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    When I bought it, I had a lengthy discussion with the seller. It had belonged to his dad who fought in Korea and is no longer with us. Both of them had entertained the idea of restoring it to original configuration and never got around to it until he finally found himself running out of space. I sent pictures last night after finishing, which left him deeply moved and at peace with selling.

The amazing part is that I already had the parts. New handguards ate on indefinite backorder. I haven't seen any used ones. A 1901 carbine sight (not to be confused with a 1901 rifle sight--same design with different graduations) scandalized my sensibilities at $200 10 years ago. Now I am seeing prices closer to $500. Without having parts I bought at much more reasonable prices back when this project would not have been viable.
    somethings are jut meant to be, not a coincident that you had the parts and the rifle you found needed them. Great rifle and story.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a rifle that I have never shot and I have had 12-14 years. I like the look just have never shot it and no reloading tools so won't be shoting for a long time.

Top Bottom