• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Once his parents let others take his picture they lost all rights to privacy in regard to the pictures.
    The pictures became property of the takers.
    His parents were far from having any moral standards by involving their child in the crime.

Your kid and your permission have nothing to do with this case.

You are implying that all parents are aware and consenting of all photos that are taken of their children. Do you really think this is true? What if someone was taking bathroom pictures of your children with a hidden camera? Do you and your children have no rights to privacy because the photos belong to the taker in this case?

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Seriously people .. its a picture taken in public and posted online. Gessh .. Its not THAT big of a deal. Even if someone gets in trouble for poaching .. the kid probably had little to nothing to actually do with it and I seriously doubt this will effect the rest of his life. Drama queens much??

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Asking a question about what's reasonable and what is in the best interest of children is drama queen material? I don't see anyone embellishing, exaggerating, or using excessive exclamations do you?

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    You think in 2 years anyone will look at that same kid and this picture and scream CRIMINAL!! and not allow their kids to hang out with him or keep him from getting a part time job at the local Pap Johns?

Then after High School ?? You seriously think that this incident and that innocent picture will make colleges rethink accepting him???

I think that a lot of you are blowing the whole "photo" thing way out of proportion. That's all I'm saying. The photo and I doubt the whole poaching incident will have little to no effect on that kids future.

Although I know that I just go running around town talking about people that kill animals out of season all the time.:rolleyes:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    In the real world, especially smaller cities, it could be somebody you struck out in little league 20 years later who kills your chances for hiring/promotion.

Seen it (especially in engineering, short fat sparkies hold grudges over the littlest of things).

Hate on the dad all you want, leave the friggin' kid out of it. He's a kid. Don't care what all one thinks might/might not happen, just avoid any chance of adding to the mess. Leave him out.

Take the higher road.

Big deer make people do stupid things, and some of them happen to be poachers.

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    You can say we are taking things too seriously, but you might want refrain from calling people drama queens... especially while using double punctuation:). I believe this is a message board for sharing and gathering information, not name calling.

It may well be that this particular case is being blown out of proportion but the bigger questions remain unanswered. Should we make a good faith effort to protect children whenever we can? Should people be treated as innocent until proven guilty?

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    You can say we are taking things too seriously, but you might want refrain from calling people drama queens... especially while using double punctuation:). I believe this is a message board for sharing and gathering information, not name calling.

It may well be that this particular case is being blown out of proportion but the bigger questions remain unanswered. Should we make a good faith effort to protect children whenever we can? Should people be treated as innocent until proven guilty?

Haha .. what would a forum be without drama queens!!!!!!??? :D:D:D

So its all fun and games, but as far as this is concerned, I don't think the picture is that big of a deal either way. I think anyone looking at it will either think A) Boy that kid got a nice buck! ... or B) I cant believe that (step dad) guy did that. Then they will move on, because IMHO this isn't a crime I would say holds that much of a negative stigmata.

Besides, I've seen his face now. If he walked up to me in the street and asked me if I liked to hunt, i wouldn't know who he was, even after all this. The only people who will remember him are people that already know him and chances are they already know all about this situation. So once again the picture is meaningless.

If people are so concerned about protecting the child why not blame the mom and step dad for putting the kid into that kind of situation to begin with.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    You are implying that all parents are aware and consenting of all photos that are taken of their children.
    No I am not. I have repeatedly refered to THIS CASE. Not the hypothetical dreams of you and others.

Do you really think this is true? What if someone was taking bathroom pictures of your children with a hidden camera? Do you and your children have no rights to privacy because the photos belong to the taker in this case?
    Again, your scenarios have NOTHING to do with this case.

The mother of the young man permitted the PUBLIC pictures to be taken. Thus there is not right to privacy.

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    I see no reason for angry red. I said from the beginning that I was not referring to this specific case. To me this case raises several general etiquette and ethical questions. If you have no interest in answering them, save your energy.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    As far as I've seen there aren't even 30 people in this thread who have seen the picture, and many of them have no idea who this kid is in the first place. Should it have been blocked out? Probably. Has it gotten enough public exposure to really make any sort of difference? I'd say no.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why? So you can get the buck later? You think you "deserve" it more because you are over 18?

Not at all, I just don't think youths should get first firearms dibs. Age or anything else should not give anyone an advantage over others.

On top of that, it's obvious this special treatment is ripe for abuse, as is witnessed by the existence of this thread.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Not at all, I just don't think youths should get first firearms dibs. Age or anything else should not give anyone an advantage over others.

On top of that, it's obvious this special treatment is ripe for abuse, as is witnessed by the existence of this thread.

Who but the children should benefit from a pressure free day in the woods to maybe harvest a deer. And hopefully a Monster for the first deer. If we don't support the youth being involved with hunting ,and fishing these sports will fade away in a few decades. For most kids a youth day they are lucky to see a deer much less harvest a large B & C record. They are still in the learning stages and can't sit still much less be quiet.
    You are a very selfish man to think of your own wants and needs before a child.
    We truly can be our own worst enemy..

Ripe for abuse generally done by the adults in the hunting , fishing world. Most children need to be coaxed into breaking the law. They were taught the basic hunting laws when they took their Hunter Safety Course. You just don't hear that many problems with the youth of America getting tickets and fines from the DNR.
    I own a farm in So IN and I will say that in over twenty years I have never personally caught, taken pics with a game camera or had a neighbor tell me that a child has tresspassed on my property to hunt of fish. It's always a 20 to 55 year old white guy. Always.

Top Bottom