• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Seems like if Colt had any major concerns with a barrel shorter than five inches, they wouldn't manufacture any pieces that had the shorter barrels, but they sell a bunch. If there's anybody who knows more about the functioning of a 1911 than Colt, I don't know who it might be...

Logic Fail.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I carry a 5" 1911 every day. I own a 4.25" 1911 as well, but with the holsters I use, I honestly can't tell the difference between Government and Commander. Weight isn't that different and the barrel length doesn't affect concealability since it's the grip that sticks out, not the barrel. The only benefit of the shorter barrel in my book is that it clears the holster slightly quicker.

If you use a horizontal shoulder holster or OWB holster, you may have different needs.

I doubt I'll seek out another compact 1911 (although, not for performance reasons, mine has been very reliable) as I like the longer sight radius.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Seems like if Colt had any major concerns with a barrel shorter than five inches, they wouldn't manufacture any pieces that had the shorter barrels, but they sell a bunch. If there's anybody who knows more about the functioning of a 1911 than Colt, I don't know who it might be...

Your logic should be sound, although Colt has yet to figure out how to make their M16s as good as several other manufacturers. The 1911 isnt much different. For what its worth, there are several companies that produce 1911s that are quite a bit more popular for duty/self defense roles than the colt. Any more, I think a big part of their share of the market is because of the name, not because they produce the best of a particular model.:twocents:

Top Bottom