• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    How difficult is it to build a 1911? Ive got some experience building ARs and what have you. I understand it will be more troublesome than an AR, considering ARs are pretty straight foreward. Any advise or input will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Justin

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I have never built a 1911 but i have built an ar. i know 1911 parts sometimes require fitting unlike an ar where parts just drop in. what i did with my 1911 is buy a quality GI model and build on it. it might even be cheaper.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    building a 1911 is NOTHING like building an AR if you want any degree of quality out of it.

almost every part requires some sort of knowledge of how/why it works and proper removal of material using the proper tool in the proper way to get everything to work right.

its not rocket science but not just an assembly either. get the kunhousen(spelling?) book and read it cover to cover before you try to start a build.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I am getting ready to start my build. I have done some work on my 1911s but never a full build.

I hope you are ready to drop some coin because the parts and tools are not cheap if you want to do it right. I plan to build more than one so I hope sometime in the future the tools start to pay for themselves.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    building a 1911 is NOTHING like building an AR if you want any degree of quality out of it.

almost every part requires some sort of knowledge of how/why it works and proper removal of material using the proper tool in the proper way to get everything to work right.

its not rocket science but not just an assembly either. get the kunhousen(spelling?) book and read it cover to cover before you try to start a build.

That about sums it up. Although I have done a few builds on the learn as you go method. Really get the book and study it. There are a lot of not so obvious things you should know to make a reliable accurate build.

I would not be afraid to dive in and do it but.... be prepared to be frustrated at times. the .45 cal is the easiest to make run right. My latest is a 357.sig and 40 cal. The .40 took some extra thinking power to make it run right :)

Top Bottom