• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Okay, I've got the 1911 bug again. But this time its a Commander sized itch. I have found a leather holster company called Savoy Leather, they make a custom holster that goes in the middle of the back and holds 2 hand guns. So, what better time to get the bug! I'm curious as to the main difference between a compact model and a commander model (barrel length, mag capacity, Grip length, ect.) I would like to have 2 of the same so I can have matching pistols. That means my budget says nothing over $600-$750 per gun. I was looking at a few different companies but then I remembered a few folks on here that said some have quirks to em. So i wanna know, the good, the bad, and the ugly! I love stainless so if there are a few models in that i would possibly spend some motorcycle repair cash to have em! P.S. I had my eye on a Rock Island Commander. Let me know what you all have to say! Good companies? Bad companies? What is a realistic expectation? Thank you, and God bless! :patriot:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Commander guns have the same grips size as a full size 1911, also sharing the same magazine capacity....they just have a slightly shorter dust cover.

An OFFICER model is the compact size frame having a grip that is shorter thus lowering the capacity by about one cartridge on average.

A commander also uses a 4.25" barrel with a regular type barrel bushing while an officer usually has a 3.5" "bull" barrel and does not have a regular style barrel bushing.

The Commander length guns(as short a 4") are generally accepted as the shortest barreled 1911 gun to have acceptable reliability while the shorter barreled guns generally tend to suffer from a short recoil stroke or short slide travel therefore have "issues" with reliable cycling.

I have never had any problems out of a 3.5" barrel 1911 but they indeed are more "picky"....I also couldnt hit a 5 gallon bucket at 25 yards with my 3.5" colt while my 5" will shoot a golf ball off of a tee.

God bless
    -Shred

cctwcc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Bargersville
    Depends on which manufacturer's definition. All the "compact" pistols have officers model frame (one round shorter). Some will have 4-4.25 barrels and others will have sub 4" barrels.. Personally I avoid the sub 4" guns.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    A commander also uses a 4.25" barrel with a regular type barrel bushing while an officer usually has a 3.5" "bull" barrel and does not have a regular style barrel bushing.

Or the best of both worlds... the CCO having a compact frame but a 4" barrel. That extra inch of sight radius is the bombdiggity in a compact...

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Sirshredalot pretty well sums it up on the Commander sized pistols. If you go to an Officer size gun, please remember there is a little tab on the underneath side of the bushing that can shear off. For reliability, I would go no smaller than a Commander size, (IMHO). Suerte.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've carried an all steel Colt Commander for over a decade.
    It's a boat anchor.
    Small of back holster? NFW.

It's an in between rig. There are compromises.

Reliability has been flawless (oops, I probably just jinxed myself and will die due to a malfunction............yeah right).

For target or just on the nightstand, get a Gov model.

On the hip? I'd get something a little smaller/lighter.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Okay, Im getting a better picture of whats what now. Its sounds like Ill go in the direction of a Commander model. So who knows about well made manufacturers? Springfield, Colt, Smith & Wesson, RIA, ??? What other companies should i look at?

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I found this image using Google. Good comparison of the 3 sizes.
    dscn15002wf.jpg

Government - Top
    Commander - Middle
    Officer - Bottom

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Okay, I've got the 1911 bug again. But this time its a Commander sized itch. I have found a leather holster company called Savoy Leather, they make a custom holster that goes in the middle of the back and holds 2 hand guns. So, what better time to get the bug! I'm curious as to the main difference between a compact model and a commander model (barrel length, mag capacity, Grip length, ect.) I would like to have 2 of the same so I can have matching pistols. That means my budget says nothing over $600-$750 per gun. I was looking at a few different companies but then I remembered a few folks on here that said some have quirks to em. So i wanna know, the good, the bad, and the ugly! I love stainless so if there are a few models in that i would possibly spend some motorcycle repair cash to have em! P.S. I had my eye on a Rock Island Commander. Let me know what you all have to say! Good companies? Bad companies? What is a realistic expectation? Thank you, and God bless! :patriot:

I wouldn't recomend SOB carry if you value your spine and your ability to walk. Falling backwards onto your gun, could end up causing a spinal injury that could end your walking days forever. :twocents:

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    This is true. I more or less think it would be a neat show holster. Aka out in the back 40 and bored, so im going to play cow boy and shoot two guns at once. Lol I'm using this opportunity to learn me something about my favorite hobby. As a hopeful LE Officer in training (current armed private security) I have been taught the importance of item placement on the duty belt. So i am aware of the dangers, but this is something of a range toy setup. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy more guns. Haha! Any who, does anybody know why the compact 1911 seems to have so much trouble? I like the thought of a 3.5 inch .45 with a 7 round capacity for cc, but why are they deemed some what unreliable? If reliability is the issue is it a design flaw? Why not just go with an XDs 45 in that perspective?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    does anybody know why the compact 1911 seems to have so much trouble?

why are they deemed some what unreliable? If reliability is the issue is it a design flaw?

You're taking a full sized design that was meant for hard ball (RN) and shortening it up, then you ask it to feed something with a flat edge that will hang up in that shortened jump (JHP)... It's not a design flaw. It's a people flaw.
    It can be addressed with some polishing and tweaking of angles, but meh... round nose has been teaching manners to bad guys for over a hundred years...

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Well to my recollection, Jetgirl you were the one who gave me solid advice on picking a 5 in 1911 last time i went shopping. So, do you have any tips as far as Commander length and compacts? Good manufacturers? I was looking at the Citadels, are they well made?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well to my recollection, Jetgirl you were the one who gave me solid advice on picking a 5 in 1911 last time i went shopping. So, do you have any tips as far as Commander length and compacts? Good manufacturers? I was looking at the Citadels, are they well made?

You won't notice a *huge* amount of difference (recoil) going from the 5" to 4", nor from the 4" to 3"...but you for sure will going from 5" to 3".
    Before you jump into compacts, make sure you get your hands on one to see how it fits your hand. It's a shorter frame, and if your hands are bigger, you're gonna have the bottom of the grip digging your palm.
    If a small frame is OK, but you like that longer sight radius, you can always get the best of both worlds with a 4" barrel on that compact frame. Those are the ones I tend to carry most. My compact CDP has been the "go-to" since it hit 1k rounds without a hitch.

As far as brand recommendations, I think every manufacturer has its haters and its fan club. I have a little bit of everything in the low end to middle high range, and out of the collection, four are Kimbers (two of which are in my four carry rotation)... so whatever that's worth. :yesway:

I don't own a Citadel, and don't know anyone up close and personal who has one...but I haven't read anything horrific about them (and bad news always travels faster than good...so you think we probably *would* have if it was something major).

:twocents:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Love both my SR1911 full size and SR1911 Commander! Everyone that has shot it, thinks the recoil is slightly milder on the commander.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    Most well built commander size 1911's are fairly reliable. A shortened 1911 needs enough time to eject the spent round and feed the next one. This can be accomplished in a number of ways but is most commonly done with stronger springs. I'd recommend reading what the legendary Bill Wilson does to make smaller 1911's run. His ammo and spring recommendations have helped me out.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    As someone else posted, you can find a Commander sized barrel and slide on an Officer Frame and have the shorter grip and lower capacity. However, some people can conceal this better. I prefer a Commander Sized Slide on a full size or Government fram with a bobtail (such as the Nightmare Carry in my avatar).

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana

I own a RIA Commander and I love it....except the bull barrel. Dang thing is a pain to remove for field stripping. However, I feel it performs as good as the full size without the extra length.

Top Bottom