• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Im looking to do some part swapping on my 1991a1 to try to improve it. it is currently all original as you see it in my pic. it has a locking bull barrell in it instead of the standered barrell. I like the bullett proof series by chip micormick but hought id see what you all might recomend putting on it for a carry gun.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    What are you trying to improve on it? It seems that might be the first question.

Trigger pull? sights? ease of carry?

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    sights and and general micanics. extended beaver tail, slide relise, ambi safty. just looking for the dest bang for the buck

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I am not an expert on 1911s by any means, but if I owned a Colt, which I do, and I wanted to change it, which I dont, I would probably send it back to the Custom Shop there at Colt.

A lifetime warrenty is a good thing, and messing around with it on your own voiding the warrenty is probably not something I would do.

That said, the Mcormick parts are reported to be of good quality, and I am sure more "modification knowledgable" members will be here shortly to advise.

Either way.. sounds fun!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    About the only improvement upon the gun pictured would probably be sights. Outside fo that, the other stuff is realistically for show. Somewhere online is Jeff Cooper's concept of the Fighting Man's 1911. VERY plainjane compared to the stuff coming out from manufacturer's now. He pretty much gives some simple ideas: LOTS of ammo, lots of mags, a good holster, good sights, lowered ejection port, DONE. It's the guy holding the gun back, not vice versa. Training will trump knick knacks anyday.

IMHO and experienced opinion, slide releases are of negligible impact on a 1911 performance. Using it as a slide release rather than a slide lock can have adverse effects on the feeding of the first round and reliability in general. An overhand, slingshot slide release method is generally best.

Beavertails are a comfort thing in my mind. They can have a lessening impact on recoil in only as they spread the recoil evenly through the hand, not to mention protecting the hand from hammer bite with a high hold. The factory one is just fine though for functionality, not to mention the refinish and time consuming shaping of the grip safety if you go aftermarket. Not worth the benefit, man up! :D The hammer bite is a rite of passage (plus you have the relatively "toothless" commander hammer on the gun anyway).

I've never been impressed with ambi safeties or similar. My weak hand drills include weak hand draw and using same hand to effectively disengage single side safety. While a good idea, it's an extra part that folks convince us that we need.

Most of the 1911s I have built were VERY plainjane as I wanted to build FUNCTION guns as opposed to FORM guns. I've never believed in guns being toys for just range use. They aren't tinker toys, they are weapons of high quality. Don't mess with em! Want something laden with danglies? Get a new gun! :D

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    good point and thank you for the info. it is functional and i use it well, i guess your thinking is similer to mine for the fact i use tap rack bang more then i do a slide relice but i do like the higher ride on a 1911 for shot responce then anything else.

Top Bottom