• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I recently sold my EDC, an SR9, and have begun carrying a full sized 1911 all the time. I'd like to invest in a smaller 1911 and thought I'd had my mind made up on a Sig Ultra. Before I drop the coin, I thought I'd ask the question here. Those of you carrying a smaller 1911 in the $800-950 range, can you tell me what you have and what you like and don't like about it?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Currently in my carry rotation is a Kimber Compact Stainless. It has a commander length slide with an officer length frame. I personally feel its the best of both worlds. All the accuracy of a full length and the concealability of an officer frame with not really any more felt recoil.

Check out the Sig C3 or RCS models. I think youll be happy you did. Also the Sig Traditional Compact has my interest peaked.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    What is 4" barrel length and standard magazine length considered? This is what I am looking for.

That is generally called commander sized. 4-4.25" barrel with a fullsized frame. Kimber calls it the Pro series.

Personally Ive never understood why you would want to take length off the barrel w/o taking length off the frame too, But thats just me. To each thier own.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Quality manufacturer, can't go wrong. Just be aware that the shorter the 1911 barrel, it becomes a bit more finiky in regards to ammo, mags used and your shooting technique (limpwristing). Also, you are changing springs out more due to higher slide velocity (they get jammy real quick if you don't keep up the spring changes, I know this from experience).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Quality manufacturer, can't go wrong. Just be aware that the shorter the 1911 barrel, it becomes a bit more finiky in regards to ammo, mags used and your shooting technique (limpwristing). Also, you are changing springs out more due to higher slide velocity (they get jammy real quick if you don't keep up the spring changes, I know this from experience).

^^^^This^^^^

You do have to hang on to the gun with the shorter 1911 models.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That is generally called commander sized. 4-4.25" barrel with a fullsized frame. Kimber calls it the Pro series.

Personally Ive never understood why you would want to take length off the barrel w/o taking length off the frame too, But thats just me. To each thier own.

My thinking is that I like the balance/feel of the shorter barrel and my hand fits better on the standard size grip.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My 4.25 1911 is awesome. Recoil is a little bit harsher, but I think that a different recoil spring will help.

I actually shoot my commander better than my government, though the sight radius is smaller.

I don't really notice anything different in terms of carry between the full and midsize 1911's.

I would go for either the 5 or 4.25 and get a bobtail done. I am also preferential to a 1911 with a recoil plug, not the bull barrel ones.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I've got 2 for sale right now in the classified! One, Sig C3 aluminum officers frame commander slide and a Kimber, stainless officers frame commander slide. Both shoot and carry great.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

I'm thinking that very same thing.

I've got 2 for sale right now in the classified! One, Sig C3 aluminum officers frame commander slide and a Kimber, stainless officers frame commander slide. Both shoot and carry great.

I already saw those ads, thanks.

The full size is easily concealable except in the summer when I tend to lean towards shorts and golf shirts in the office or when out & about and don't want to OC. I'm looking for something with a smaller profile for that reason.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm a big Colt Commander fan, especially the Lt Wt 38 Super, but I've also really like the Kimber Pro and Ultra for carry purposes. I finally got a decent holster for my Ultra and hopefully will be carrying it soon. :yesway:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Just also know that you can go with a manufacturer, or aftermarket dual action buffer spring, that will, or is claimed to soften recoil, reduce frame wear, and reduce muzzle rise.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Full size are fine, officers grips are too, but if you want something really awesome get a bobtail (vbob). That's what I got, Dan Wesson vbob. Conceals conceals great, prints less than an officers, fits the hand much better than a full grip. Shoot one and you won't regret it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Full size are fine, officers grips are too, but if you want something really awesome get a bobtail (vbob). That's what I got, Dan Wesson vbob. Conceals conceals great, prints less than an officers, fits the hand much better than a full grip. Shoot one and you won't regret it.

Those look nice and Kimber has one to with a bobtail. They are out of my price range right now though.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Those look nice and Kimber has one to with a bobtail. They are out of my price range right now though.

If you really want a Bobtail, I have a Dan Wesson Panther (blued) that I converted to a Bobtail like the V-bob except with 5" barrel. I am thinking of selling it in the $650 price range...pm me if you are interested.

As for the Sig Ultra, it is a very nice shooting gun. I picked one up at the last 1500 and have put about 100 rounds through it. I was shocked at how little muzzle flip it had. I have had both a Kimber Ultra and a Colt Defender, but the Sig Ultra seems to have less muzzle flip than either of them. I also had a Sig C3 which is a nice shooter as well.

I am currently rotating between the Sig Ultra and a Nighthawk Predator II Bobtail. I don't see much difference in concealability for the most part, but the Sig is lighter...

Mark

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I have a Sig P238 Equinox. It's basically a shrunken down 1911 in .380. I use it for concealed carry. Works and feels just like the bigger ones, which I also have. One thing on it though. You can work the slide with the safety on!

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    My current EDC is a PARA LTC; Commander sized pistol which I prefer vs. Govt sized. Sig C3 is on my short list for my next EDC. Looks like It's Sig's version of the CCO, but several hundred dollars cheaper.

mrp010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Granger IN
    I have a sig C3 and love it. I would not hesitate to buy a sig 1911. I'm not sure the benefits of the 3 inch barrels over the 4.25 barrels. The barrel is not the hard part to hide imo.

The longer barrels do improve ballistics and are generally more accurate just due to the sight radius.

If your interested in one I would keep my eyes on Buds. I got mine with CT grips for $777 and I see it list for that on occasion.

Top Bottom