• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordmadman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    New Castle
    I got a Rock Island 1911 and when it feeds bullets in the chamber it scratches them all up and put big dents in the bullet and it pushes the bullet into the caseing I tried to poilsh the feed ramp with real fine sandpaper but its still doing it is this normal for a 1911 ? :ar15:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Are you using ball rounds or hollow points?

It's not normal behavior for a 1911.

Be VERY-VERY careful (I don't recommend doing it if you're inexperienced) "polishing" your feed ramp on a 1911. The angles are absolutely critical and a nice sharp edge where the ramp transitions to the barrel (along with the distance from that ledge to the barrel) is very important to proper function. Changing that geometry will cause feeding problems.

If you're having feeding issues, I would say send it back to the factory for inspection and for warranty service. If you don't want to do that, you can contact one of the local 1911 smiths in our area:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/22190-1911_gunsmith.html

I hope things get sorted out for you.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    yep. I would send it back to the factory.

I dont have much experiance with 1911s but my 1911s cost a LOT more than a Rock Island, so if I ever had a issue you had better believe I am sending it STRAIGHT back home.

No "polishing" for me.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Yeah, there's something amiss there. Ball rounds should feed fine in all 1911's without setback occurring. I would have the factory check things out.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I got a Rock Island 1911 and when it feeds bullets in the chamber it scratches them all up and put big dents in the bullet and it pushes the bullet into the caseing I tried to poilsh the feed ramp with real fine sandpaper but its still doing it is this normal for a 1911 ? :ar15:

Call or email Ivan Wolcott at RI. I had a problem with my first RIA Tactical and he provided about the best customer service I've ever had. (He even tossed in a couple free mags with my return shipment!)

Ivan J. Walcott
    Sales Manager

Armscor Precision/Advanced Tactical
    Rock Island Armory USA
    150 N Smart Way
    Pahrump, NV 89060

Phone 775-537-1444
    Fax 775-537-1446
    Cell 702-875-1201
    ivan@armscor.net
    NRA Life Member

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I would second the send it back or get a GOOD 1911 gunsmith (not some shadetree work), but in the interim, change mags. The RIA novaks are okay, but some of the RIAs I have had didn't like them in the slightest. A quality mag, such as a Wilson, McCormick or similar should help out. Alot of folks go for the China special mags they see for 6 bucks at the counter and should skip those (they do work though on occasion).

Have you polished anything other than the feedramp, for example, breachface, extractor, disconector rail (slide part), throat, etc? I had someone say they used "fine sandpaper" once on theirs and turned out to be a horrendous grit. Not jsut paper, but a very fine felt wheel with Flitz helps out big time, finishes the job the other polishing DIDN'T do.

Fordmadman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    New Castle
    I used really fine sandpaper it was 600 grit I seen this video on youtube where this guy polished his with a piece of sandpaper and he used a pencil eraser to move the sandpaper back and forth on the feed ramp thats what I did. Here is the video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yahzMTOO34"]YouTube - How To Polish A Feed Ramp[/ame]

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Some of my reloads wouldn’t let the Rock go full battery.

Had Jay send them through his Kimber. They were fine.
    Then my mag in his gun…still fine.
    They also fed through my own Kimber in function check without a hitch, my mags and his.

Found out that some of the cases would not even seat in the RIA, because the bullet was too big.
    The ones that flew through just fine were .451.
    The ones that would not let it go to full battery were .452.
    It’s chambered really tight.

I called up RIA (which is actually called Armscor Precision/Advanced Tactical) and spoke to their machinist.
    He told me that I should send it in and they'd do a a quality assessment and send it back with a note saying what (if anything) they'd done to it to correct it.

I sent it on November 1st.
    It came in today's mail.
    They assessed it, rechambered it, it passed the go/no go gauge, and they said that there have been a few with the same issues coming back... so they ARE aware of it and are making efforts to QC them better so tightly chambered ones aren't going out the door.
    Sounds like mine was reamed on a day that the tooling was getting worn. Maybe yours, too?

New tooling, rechambering, a polished feed ramp, and a quick turnaround in the mail.
    Just function checked my .452 reloads and it's feeding them like a champ.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Decided to run to the range before dark and test fire.
    All my .452s sailed through and went "BANG" at the appropriate times.
    I'm calling it "fixed".
    Get in touch with Rock Island about yours:

As mentioned by MadBomber...Contact Arnel or Ivan
    Armscor Precision/Advanced Tactical
    150 N Smart Way
    Pahrump, NV 89060
    (775) 537-1444

Hope that helps. :yesway:

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    For some reason My RIA does not like mags with the rounded follower in them ...It will only feed well from a mag with the flat top follower ....Just something ELSE to think about ...Good luck :ingo:

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    I don't think I could sand a weapon I spent that much on. I do see sending it directly back to the manufacture and let the professional tend to their own. I wonder if you should worry about voiding your warranty "working on your own".

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would have to say that was a great demo video on how not to polish a feed ramp. While polishing with a felt wheel and jeweler's rouge is not a bad thing using sandpaper or anything that removes metal is not the way to do this. A professional who can measure the angles involved and might remove metal but only as a last resort. It is very easy to make a gun unsafe during a throat job. A properly angled factory feed ramp would damn near have to be checkered to affect FMJ rounds, I would say the problem lies elsewhere. Also most 45's don't have the type of feed ramp shown in that video, they rely on a ramp an the frame and the throat of the barrel to feed.

This illustration from Hallock's on page 128 shows the most common problem when gun won't feed ball and it has been determined the ammo and magazine is not at fault.

hallocks128.jpg

As fixing this requires the barrel throat be recut it is not a job for a Dremel and kitchen table but rather a job for a professional. I would call Rock River, describe the problem and ask a call tag be sent. Hopefully they won't void the warranty because of the home "polishing" job.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This illustration from Hallock's on page 128 shows the most common problem when gun won't feed ball and it has been determined the ammo and magazine is not at fault.

hallocks128.jpg

As fixing this requires the barrel throat be recut it is not a job for a Dremel and kitchen table but rather a job for a professional. I would call Rock River, describe the problem and ask a call tag be sent. Hopefully they won't void the warranty because of the home "polishing" job.

Reps for posting info from Hallocks .45 Auto Handbook. EVERY 1911 owner should have it...

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I used a copy of Hallock's to do my first 1911 build and I used that gun for NRA Action pistol for quite a few years and still shoot it today. I will admit to ruining a sear building that gun but I learned from it as well.

Fordmadman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    New Castle
    I was thinking this morning would a stiff recoil spring cause this I've seen 1911's with stiff recoil springs and they would jam and wouldn't feed right.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    FordMadMan im in the shop now in Neew Caslisle and would be glad to take a look at your 1911 to see if i can assist you. I just lined up a real good gun smith in nw indiana and could see if we can get this problem resolved. (Class 3 Sales) 8816 E. 700 N. New Carlisle IN.

Top Bottom