• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • talderma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    North East Indy
    I recently purchased a Sig Sauer 1911 Ultra Nitro for my CCW, and I am running into failure to feed/load issues and its driving me up the wall. I am seeking out some help from a knowledgable 1911 guru. I have searched the net trying to find various fixes and tricks to help this puppy feed correctly, but nothing seems to work. Here is some background from the beginning.

When I received the 1911, I immediately broke the gun down and gave it a good cleaning, and oiled all the parts appropriately (making sure not to overdo it during the process). Then I put it back together and preformed the standard safety checks necessary to make sure it functioned properly. At this point in time all seemed fine so I headed off to the range for the first time. At the range, I proceeded to shoot the gun just fine for the first 50 or so rounds (using winchester 230 gr FMJ rounds). My first failure to feed/load happened on the 3rd round of a full magazine (mag capacity 7 rounds). So I cleared the gun and continued with the other 4 shots. The second failure to feed happened again with the next magazine, but with round 2 (same ammo), cleared again, and continued. This happened 3 more times with failures to feed at shot 2, 5 and 6 while using two factory magazines over 150 shots fired. At this point in time, I thought it could be the ammo so I tried 230 gr JHP Speer Gold Dot's. I loaded the magazine placed in the gun and then racked the gun for loading. Immediately the first failure to load on round one, so I cleared and tried again with success. Shot 5 came along, jammed, it would not load. This happened a few more times so I switched out the ammo again. This time I tried Federal Hydra-Shok 203 gr, the same results ensued over 15 total shots.

Frustrated with my range results, I went home to clean the gun and do some googling on the issue. Once home with the gun clean, I wanted to see where the rounds were catching, and (to me) it looks like the rounds might be catching on the upper most part of the aluminum slot where the magazine slides into (pictured below). You can see where some "rounding" on the aluminum is occurring. Now I'm not a 1911 expert by any means, but my gut tells me that shouldn't be happening. By looking at a jam, it also looks like the top of the brass casing or the lip (right where the bullet fits into the casing) might be catching on the feed ramp or that aluminum spot indicated in the picture.

Im totally lost, and extremely frustrated that I have such an awesome 1911 that I see is unfit for protection purposes (….that is if you need more than one round). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to contact Sig about this, but I cannot get through on their phone system.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Been there buddy. You likely just need to polish the feed ramp (correctly) and possibly the edge of the frame a little. Here's a good thread from the Brian Enos forum explaining the best way to do it:

feed ramp polishing - General Gunsmithing - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

While a rotary tool (Dremel) can polish, the idea of polishing with a piece of brass and some fine polishing cloth in the direction the round travels, typically goes a long way to resolve these issues.

These 3M polishing cloths may be your new best friend:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/37-948-Micron-Polishing-Papers-2x11/dp/B001BHGC7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360081557&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+polishing+cloth[/ame]

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you have any Wilson Combat Magazines, try out out and see how it feeds. I bought one to test in my S&W 1911, and dearly love them. They lock up tight....feed well.

the other option is send it back to Sig Sauer and have them smooth that out.

talderma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    North East Indy
    If you have any Wilson Combat Magazines, try out out and see how it feeds. I bought one to test in my S&W 1911, and dearly love them. They lock up tight....feed well.

I ordered two WC mags yesterday, hopefully they will fix the issue.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you have any Wilson Combat Magazines, try out out and see how it feeds.

Both those ^. Try the mags first. If that doesn't do the trick, then I'd let Sig do the polishing, especially if you don't know what you're doing nor have the proper tools. Polishing is actually removing material. Once you take it off, you can't put it back if you messed up.

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    The WC mags might get you where you want to be.

Barrel ramped 45s often have to have the frame ramped at the same angle and flush with the start of the barrel ramp. Problem is that the frame is aluminum. So, you can't ramp it and not ruin the anodization. That will leave the soft aluminum exposed that will ultimately pit/dent with use.

If the WC mags don't work I would send it back to Sig and let them have at it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You could have AllenM look at it and see what he thinks. He is very well versed with 1911s and has some Mad Skillz! :yesway: :twocents:

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If your bullets are hitting that low on the ramp, something is wrong with your mags.

It is typical for HP ammo to cause issues out of the gate. Hand polishing the feedramp and using quality mags is the first step.

Feeding issues are often a result of improper grip. If your thumbs or hands are dragging on the slide as it cycles, bad things happen.

*Pictures are worth a thousand words.*

Edit: Another recommendation for AllenM. If you have any reservations about doing something on your own, don't do it! If you do it wrong, it's going to cost more to fix.

Last edited:

talderma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    North East Indy
    Thanks all for the comments, after many days of trying to contact Sig, I finally got ahold of them. I am going to send the gun back to their custom shop for it to get fixed. So hopefully with the new WC mags and the Sig custom shop work, I will have a reliable 1911. I would rather have it fixed right, than right now. I will keep you posted when I get it back.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I would try wc mags first, polishing the feed ramp is always a good idea. I had an ati officers model 1911 with the same issue. I polished the feed ramp, same issue, tried a Wilson and a chip McCormick mag same issue, then ordered a better guide rod and functioned flawlessly until I sold it.

talderma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    North East Indy
    Is that a new weapon or used! No mag will fix that mess, look below the ramp. Who beat it with a hammer?

Brand new gun! 185 total rounds through it. It wasn't until I got home and broke the gun down to clean it that I noticed below the ramp. All caused by feeding ammo. Thats why I am sending it back for them to fix it.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Good call sending it back to SIG. I can attest to Allen's skill having seen a few of his projects but on a new pistol give SIG a chance.

Also Great pictures VERY helpful to visualize the issue, often folks try to explain a malfunction and it is tough to visualize.

Completely agree that rounds SHOULD not be impacting that low on the feed ramp. The rough frame area below should not be an issue but does speak to QC? As others have pointed out this indicates a potential magazine issue, the Mag itself or perhaps the mag catch fitment.

It also appears that rounds may be nicking the slide stop (marks on slidestop where it enters the frame). Most tuned 1911's will have this area shaped to avoid contact. Normally this causes premature slide lock but I have seen it cause feeding issues. It is posible that rounds are impacting this area during the feeding cycle and being "nose downed" into the ramp. Something that may help SIG troubleshoot.

Good luck and hopefully SIG will get your 1911 running right!

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy
    Good point Colt. Try AllenM. He enjoys helping others out as he did on that 1911 just the other day. He might cut you a break if you make him some chicken noodle soup, from scratch of course. :)

talderma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    North East Indy
    Good call sending it back to SIG. I can attest to Allen's skill having seen a few of his projects but on a new pistol give SIG a chance.

Also Great pictures VERY helpful to visualize the issue, often folks try to explain a malfunction and it is tough to visualize.

Completely agree that rounds SHOULD not be impacting that low on the feed ramp. The rough frame area below should not be an issue but does speak to QC? As others have pointed out this indicates a potential magazine issue, the Mag itself or perhaps the mag catch fitment.

It also appears that rounds may be nicking the slide stop (marks on slidestop where it enters the frame). Most tuned 1911's will have this area shaped to avoid contact. Normally this causes premature slide lock but I have seen it cause feeding issues. It is posible that rounds are impacting this area during the feeding cycle and being "nose downed" into the ramp. Something that may help SIG troubleshoot.

Good luck and hopefully SIG will get your 1911 running right!

Thanks for the comment, I will make sure to take more pictures and post them once I get the gun back. Hopefully in perfect working order. The sig CSR I spoke to said their custom shop is great, and will make the thing feed square bullets if they have to. :-) My main concern was documenting the issue with sig just in case I need to bring it up again in the future.

pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    Check the ejector. Remove the slide, and place a fired casing into the chamber. Make sure it goes in and out of the ejector smoothly. Might have a burr or bad ejector.

Top Bottom