• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Generally polishing the feed ramp an checking and polishing the throat on the barrel will solve the problem on a 1911. Magazines can also be the problem but if you start out with Wilson mags the above fixes will usually get you going. (on a 4" or 5" gun). 3.5 barrel 1911s are a different animal that is sometimes very difficult to tame.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]
    this coming from a guy with a night hawk.
    i have no point to this.
    you are just the only guy i know with one.
    someday i will meet someone with a ed brown or a wilson, and i will leave you alone.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    i would just point out if this had been a test of simply the 1911 platform, then more than just a kimber would have been used. you said many people have had trouble with hp ammo in 1911's, if their 1911 are not kimbers do they still have trouble? your range report is nice, but it only answers the question, do kimber reliably feed hp? well your answer is yes.
    but my thought is, at 900-1200 dollars, the last thing a person should worry about is, does this weapon feed hps?
    I am not a plastic gun fanatic. i am just being honest with my opinion. i have been wrong before, and i could be wrong now.
    but if an ati does everthing a kimber can do, then why do people buy kimbers?

1 more question. why does the 1911 design seem to command such a high dollar?
    a S&W 5906 made completely of stainless can be had way cheaper than the cheapest made 1911. be that ati or any of the cheap companies. i am not being a smart ass. i am asking a real question. so please no hate. just need the answer.

I ran my Colt 3.5" barreled lightweight frame gun through the same tests earlier this year...and it ran at 100%...only failure Ive had with it was with a 27 year old magazine.

Also the 1911 platform "costs" more because of simple supply and demand.

People want 1911's and gun companies can make them...therefore people are willing to buy them at the asking price. If people didnt pay $1200 for a Kimber than Kimber would lower their prices to meet demand....just like Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Springfield, Rock Island, ATI, and Smith and Wesson.

As the case with an ATI costing less than a Wilson Combat...Do they look similar?...yes
    ATI paid their workers probably 1/30th of what the employees at Wilson Combat are making....and anyway you slice it...you always get what you pay for.
    My Metro Arms American Classic II was a pretty decent gun with no problems...but if you handle or shoot my Kimber afterwards...you know why they cost more.

The reason that 1911's command more of a price over a 5906 is simple ergonomics and desire...(supply and demand again)
    The all stainless S&W pistols are EXCELLENT guns and I would not hesitate to take one to war....but they are bulky, awkward, have HEAVY DA trigger pulls,and have very little aftermarket support....like Ruger p95s...etc.

The 1911 fits most people hand like it was molded to it, parts are as available as coca-cola, they have light and crisp triggers, and are fully customizable...and on top of that they are iconic of American legends, war heroes, and movie stars.

Also...Regardless of whether my gun was a $300 Llama or a $1200 Kimber or a $4000 Wilson, Im not going to carry a round in the magazine that I dont know will feed for sure....Id do the same feed test with a glock for that matter...not going to trust my life to "well...its expensive...so It SHOULD work".

$.02...not being rude either...ya just cant write inflection.

God bless
    -Shred

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I ran my Colt 3.5" barreled lightweight frame gun through the same tests earlier this year...and it ran at 100%...only failure Ive had with it was with a 27 year old magazine.

People want 1911's and gun companies can make them...therefore people are willing to buy them at the asking price. If people didnt pay $1200 for a Kimber than Kimber would lower their prices to meet demand....just like Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Springfield, Rock Island, ATI, and Smith and Wesson.

As the case with an ATI costing less than a Wilson Combat...Do they look similar?...yes
    ATI paid their workers probably 1/30th of what the employees at Wilson Combat are making....and anyway you slice it...you always get what you pay for.
    My Metro Arms American Classic II was a pretty decent gun with no problems...but if you handle or shoot my Kimber afterwards...you know why they cost more.

The reason that 1911's command more of a price over a 5906 is simple ergonomics and desire...(supply and demand again)
    The all stainless S&W pistols are EXCELLENT guns and I would not hesitate to take one to war....but they are bulky, awkward, have HEAVY DA trigger pulls,and have very little aftermarket support....like Ruger p95s...etc.

The 1911 fits most people hand like it was molded to it, parts are as available as coca-cola, they have light and crisp triggers, and are fully customizable...and on top of that they are iconic of American legends, war heroes, and movie stars.

Also...Regardless of whether my gun was a $300 Llama or a $1200 Kimber or a $4000 Wilson, Im not going to carry a round in the magazine that I dont know will feed for sure....Id do the same feed test with a glock for that matter...not going to trust my life to "well...its expensive...so It SHOULD work".

God bless
    -Shred
    thank you sir, this is exactly the type of answer i was looking for. a logical one. i have never fired any 1911, let alone a high end one. and just really liked knowing what made them so expensive.
    so new rule, everybody stop buying kimbers, price will have to come down, as soon as it does, we all buy kimber like they were potato chips, and we couldn't have just one.

again thank you for explaining it.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    thank you sir, this is exactly the type of answer i was looking for. a logical one. i have never fired any 1911, let alone a high end one. and just really liked knowing what made them so expensive.
    so new rule, everybody stop buying kimbers, price will have to come down, as soon as it does, we all buy kimber like they were potato chips, and we couldn't have just one.

again thank you for explaining it.

No problem...but again...the laws of supply and demand would state that if you cant sell an item at a higher price, than it will be made more cheaply.

Being made more cheaply means that quality, fit, and finish will be on the chopping block in order to "lean" the pistol and its price...because profit will be the last cost to cut....simple business principles.

So if people stop paying the asking price, and Kimber is forced to cut quality to make the gun cost less to the customer, than the things that make a kimber worth more than a Rock island or a metro arms have just gone away.

Kimber would then be no more illustrious than a Llama.

God bless
    -Shred

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

God bless
    -Shred

Incorrect, Kimbers are overpriced and they offer pretty much the exact same stuff that the Metro Arms do, except MA do NOT have a crappy firing pin block/schwartz safety crap.

I've shot a Kimber, and my MA; and I honestly like my MA better.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    talking about supply and demand reminded me of something me and my father talked about recently.

My father was a tank commander in 1974. he would tell me about his tank and how he had to inventory everything in it including small arms.
    he said the sheet had prices on it for each item. he does not know if these prices were the value or the price paid, but this is kind of what the sheet said.

m1911 pistol= 8.00 dollars
    m16 rifle = 30 dollars
    M2 50 cal machine gun = 1000 dollars.

now my recolection of his story may be off a little, but the prices where pretty close to this. now we figure for inflation. between 74 and now. thats still at best 80 dollars for a colt m1911 pistol.
    no wonder the military used it for as long as they did. at that price, it would be to costly to replace it. which is probly why the military still uses m16 and m4 today.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The 1911 was not designed to run hollow point ammunition. This is not a "flaw", it is a reflection of the pistols origins as a military weapon. Subsequent modifications have been proven to provide reliable feeding of modern, SD ammo. Where "quality" enters is in how well the modifications are executed (and of course the initial quality if the manufacturer's 1911 pattern pistol).

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Incorrect, Kimbers are overpriced and they offer pretty much the exact same stuff that the Metro Arms do, except MA do NOT have a crappy firing pin block/schwartz safety crap.

I've shot a Kimber, and my MA; and I honestly like my MA better.

My Kimber is a first generation model and features a 70 series firing system with NO drop safety....it also is a better quality gun than any other gun I own...Opinions may vary.

My kimbers slide and frame are forged, the dovetails in the slide for the sights are actually cut for aftermarket sights....like Novaks, or meprolights.

My Metro's dovetails where a bastard size and would not accept standard sights...the safety also would not fully engage when I got it and needed to be filed and polished.

Kimber is also made in the USA, By American employees, with a real lifetime warranty, and people you can call and talk to that speak english as a first language.

I know this sounds defensive, but you really are comparing cavaliers to cadillacs.

God bless
    -Shred

At least we are not off topic and are still talking about hollow points feeding reliably in 1911s....Right?

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    My Kimber is a first generation model and features a 70 series firing system with NO drop safety....it also is a better quality gun than any other gun I own...Opinions may vary.

My kimbers slide and frame are forged, the dovetails in the slide for the sights are actually cut for aftermarket sights....like Novaks, or meprolights.

My Metro's dovetails where a bastard size and would not accept standard sights...the safety also would not fully engage when I got it and needed to be filed and polished.

Kimber is also made in the USA, By American employees, with a real lifetime warranty, and people you can call and talk to that speak english as a first language.

I know this sounds defensive, but you really are comparing cavaliers to cadillacs.

God bless
    -Shred

At least we are not off topic and are still talking about hollow points feeding reliably in 1911s....Right?
    sorry but not a good example. cavaliers and cadillacs both suck.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Good on you for testing your carry ammo-- regardless of what gun you're feeding it too.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Generally polishing the feed ramp an checking and polishing the throat on the barrel will solve the problem on a 1911. Magazines can also be the problem but if you start out with Wilson mags the above fixes will usually get you going. (on a 4" or 5" gun). 3.5 barrel 1911s are a different animal that is sometimes very difficult to tame.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Thank you, sir. I know the SIG P6s were the same way which is why I was wondering if it was the same deal or not.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

God bless
    -Shred

You may want to consult your owners manual. My Kimber clearly states that it only has a 1 YEAR warranty. Also from what Ive heard the people you speak to at Kimber are not very helpfull in keeping up thier end of it. Also they are made in New York so even though English is thier first language you still may not be able to understand them.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    my Colt GCNM will feed them even in the factory mags
    "even" in the factory mags? you mean your braging about your weapon working with its own parts? That is exactly what it is supposed to do.
    i have heard this one alot. people saying my colt wont work with colt mags. that is rediculous. if your weapon does not work with parts its supplied with, then send it back for repairs or a refund, and get a pistol that will work.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    My springfield/AO franken1911 feeds them just fine as well.

and, for the record, I have a hipoint 9mm and it'll feed hollowpoints.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    "even" in the factory mags? you mean your braging about your weapon working with its own parts? That is exactly what it is supposed to do.
    i have heard this one alot. people saying my colt wont work with colt mags. that is rediculous. if your weapon does not work with parts its supplied with, then send it back for repairs or a refund, and get a pistol that will work.

Considering that colt makes the guns, and metal form makes the magazines; I would imagine that quite a bit of things could be out of spec. I have found that certain types of followers are prone to feeding issues. Its not the gun manufacturers fault.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    "1911 feeds hollow points perfectly!"

That, Sir, is a lie. Everyone knows that John Moses Browning was a Nazi that was sent back in time to invent a pistol for US troops that would never feed any type of ammo, would corrode instantly when anything moist came near it, and had so much recoil that it would break the wrist of anyone who shot it.

Nice try but I'm afraid that you can't trick us with your 1911 propaganda, we know the truth. :p

Top Bottom