• ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    1911 grip safety getting stuck after installing new thumb safety

I just fitted and installed a new wilson combat single safety. It fits perfectly and the thumb safety operates perfectly. However, my grip safety now gets stuck as demonstrated in the video below. At the end of the video, I show that the thumb safety moves when the grip safety is pushed in. Do I need to slim down the cross pin that goes through the grip safety?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeCHbiM-plI[/ame]

Last edited:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I slimmed down the cross pin and it still seems like it isn't any better. If I slowly put in the thumb safety and while pressing and releasing the grip safety, it seems it get stuck about when the thumb safety connects with the sear. What part of the grip safety would be affected by the thumb safety and the sear?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It appears your safety pin is oversized still. Take some 600 grit paper and run it all the way around that pin until everything runs smoothly. then polish it back out up to 1k paper, then flitz.

I would avoid the file at this point as you will probably end up putting small flats on the part thats supposed to be round. just put the safety in a vise and run paper over it all the way around.

you can see the grip safety wiggling just a bit when you try to move the thumb safety up and down indicating a tight fit of the thumb safety pin through the grip safety.

you can also take a round needle file and open up the inside of the thumb saftey.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    also, put the saftey in but ONLY using the pin part... as in the rest of the thumb saftey will just be hanging out off the back of the gun. If your grip saftey still binds that will give you a better idea where it is binding.

dont forget to make sure that you have the three leaf spring intalled correctly as they sometimes get canted a bit and can cause binding as well.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you haven't already, take your thumb safety out and your grip safety and just try those two together independent of the frame. Wilson's especially the ones lately have very oversize axle's and the bind may actually be in the grip safety hole. If those two parts run smoothly it's possible your frame holes may not be exactly cut square to one another and this with the other tolerance stacking that may be going on could be a factor. Can you mic your original safety and the wilson in about 4 different points? I can't think of a reason that the thumb safety/sear relationship would matter at all.

Top Bottom