• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordmadman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm having a problem with some grips screws I ordered for my 1911 they are wilson combat screws but I noticed they are long. When I put my grips back on I can't get a magazine in the gun because of the screws I noticed that the bushings was a little slim, what I was wanting to know is if I bought some standard sized grip bushings would this fix the problem. :ar15:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Did the gun have thin grip panels on it before? You can fix it either way, get shorter screws or taller bushings. CDNN sells em both pretty cheap. I have a ton of screws and might be going to the Stout show tomorrow.

Fordmadman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    New Castle
    I didn't notice it until I got the grips off and tried the new screws because one of the old screws was stripped so I replaced all of them. I found some taller bushings on midway usa site for 3.99 but wasn't sure if it would fix the problem. If I got taller bushings would I be able to put on thin grip panels on it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    No, thin panels would need shorter bushings. You can file the screws down some to get the longer ones to work. I've done it before by putting the grips on and tightening the screws, masking up the magwell and then using a flat file to remove enough of the screws to have the mag slide in/out easily. Probably an easier way to do it but that way worked for me. Just be careful, take yer time and try to the mag until everything wrks well.

Fordmadman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    New Castle
    What I was wanting to do I found a pair of punisher grips on the internet and they are standard sized 1911 grips but wasn't sure if I changed the bushings would effect the grip fitting on the gun.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Should be fine. You can wait and fit the screws, bushings and grips all at once. I've only had issues a couple times out of all the 1911s I've done.

Top Bottom