1911 guys, what is the deal with black front sights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I have noticed some "higher end production" 1911's sporting black front post sights. Case in point is the Smith and Wesson Performance Center 1911. Here is a $1500 1911 with a polished feed ramp, lightning cut slide and a whole bunch more bells and whistles. But, it has a plain black front sight, with black adjustable rear sights.

I really notice how much longer it takes me to align the sights when they are black on black like that. Especially after handling a firearm with a fiber optic front sight just prior to the SW1911.

Am I missing something? Seems like a gun of this price range would have something more. Thoughts?

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    As stated above black sights are for mainly for target use. As far as your problem seeing a black sight on a black target try using a lighter colored target. When I shoot iron sights I use an orange B27 repair center target. I'll keep my "antiques"

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Most pistols with black squared-off, or undercut "Patridge" style front sights are set up for bullseye target shooting, where the proper sight picture involves using the proper black roundel target at the proper distance, aligning the sights with the target sitting atop the front sight. The critical dimension with these type sights is the daylight showing on either side of the front blade along with perfectly perpendicular angles "in the box".
    The even blackness cuts reflection and helps the eye compose the sight picture without calling undue attention to the front sight, which disturbs the "homogeny" of the target/sight focus. ( Some shooters refer to this blending as "planing out" the target, as in target and sights appearing to be in the same focal plane.)

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    My Wilson came with black sights as well, but I just got done fitting a gold bead on the front and a u-notch on the rear. Am I still a "manly man"?:):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I was younger, a black sight was no problem. Now that my eyes are not what they used to be, I need some contrast. I may buy a FO front for my 1911 one day, but in a hurry to get it out shooting this year, I painted the front blade with Florescent orange model paint and it works great!

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Well, change it out. That is another aspect of the "Antique" and outdated 1911 platform. You can alter/modify it to suit your needs/ability's.

I hear you. Not something I want to do on a $1500 gun that I am about to buy. I'm not really into all the bullseye shooting, so if that is what the black front sight is all about, then no biggie, I'm not looking for that anyway.

I think that I have fallen in love with the SA TRP in stainless. Trijicon night sights, which I'd be more than happy with!

What's your overall thoughts on that TRP, CM?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hear you. Not something I want to do on a $1500 gun that I am about to buy. I'm not really into all the bullseye shooting, so if that is what the black front sight is all about, then no biggie, I'm not looking for that anyway.

I think that I have fallen in love with the SA TRP in stainless. Trijicon night sights, which I'd be more than happy with!

What's your overall thoughts on that TRP, CM?

For the price point it is the best out of the box 1911 available right now. I am not alone in my opinion. I have owned a couple and they are serious shooters.
    As to the blacked out front site......I paint mine. It helps my tired eyes.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    No love for front target sights?

629428.jpg

It's because they're black, isn't it?
    You all should be ashamed of yourselves. :nono:

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Well, being the 1911 aficionado that you are, I think that is saying a lot. Sold me on it. It is definitely on the list... Just have to wait for the CFO to let me :spend:

Top Bottom