• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I stuttered when I tried to speak after I saw this. That's just a beauty. I like that Gen III Kobra also, but this one. Holy Cow! Thanks for sharing.

Brandan Bunker (Bunker Arms Custom)

I

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So I've just started looking into 1911's. I might be what you called a novice to the platform. I've always admired them, but other than handling/shooting other people's, my knowledge ends there. I have a friend beating me up to take a look at colts. He has a thing for the pony, which is fine, but I don't seem to see much love for them from 1911 guys. Is it like there ar-15's, where for years you bought an $800 rifle with a $500 pony on the side? Your lack of colt pictures seems like a hint. Or do they fall in with the sigs and smiths, maybe kimbers? I had been thinking SA, given another friends advice and Churchmouses affinity for them. Now it seems for another $300 I could just get a valor and most likely have all the gun I'll ever want. Oh, and that is an amazing collection.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I've just started looking into 1911's. I might be what you called a novice to the platform. I've always admired them, but other than handling/shooting other people's, my knowledge ends there. I have a friend beating me up to take a look at colts. He has a thing for the pony, which is fine, but I don't seem to see much love for them from 1911 guys. Is it like there ar-15's, where for years you bought an $800 rifle with a $500 pony on the side? Your lack of colt pictures seems like a hint. Or do they fall in with the sigs and smiths, maybe kimbers? I had been thinking SA, given another friends advice and Churchmouses affinity for them. Now it seems for another $300 I could just get a valor and most likely have all the gun I'll ever want. Oh, and that is an amazing collection.

Come shoot my 1911's.
    Shoot others if you can. When you know what to look for you will find what you like.
    Good idea on the Valor.

Not wanting to knock the Marque but you are correct in your assumptions about the pony. Now the older 70 series was not to bad.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi

This can open a whole can of worms but, here are my thoughts on the situation... When I got into 1911's I was "brainwashed" that Colt was a dated name and that if I was going to consider a Colt, for the same money... buy a Kimber. With the evolution of my knowledge that process has changed very quickly. Colt, Sig, Kimber, SA, and all the likes that are in that category (other than Dan Wesson) are all very similar. They use a lot of MIM parts and its basically what you prefer in terms of options, finish, and logo's. I am sure someone is going to hop in and say no, but... IMHO thats the truth.

Guys like Chuck Rodgers, Lou Biondo, The Evolution Army guys, and several others will most likely still claim Colt to be the best makers of slides and frames. Again, I am pretty sure that Rugers foundry is the supplier of all those makers firearms but, I could be wrong. Its hard information to sort and get straight. If I were going to buy a base gun to have made perfect, I would no doubt get a 70 series Colt. Since I would rather have a custom gun built from the ground up, I like pistols with dedicated Variances to reflect those pistol smiths shop. Thats just a personal thing.

As far as the stock Pony, I have several (just not pictured)... they are sittin in the safe full of oil and barely ever get shot... so dont take Colt as being bad just because I do not have them pictured. If you ask how they stack up again the Valors or any of the Semi-Customs... well, its not apples to apples and the answer is obviously not very well. You do have the "purists" out there that claim all else a copy cat and thats fine, but in terms of quality and options the Colt's are just not there vs a Valor or semi custom gun. Its on far and in line with the rest of the production guns... even though I like SA best in that category.

Come shoot my 1911's.
    Shoot others if you can. When you know what to look for you will find what you like.
    Good idea on the Valor.

Not wanting to knock the Marque but you are correct in your assumptions about the pony. Now the older 70 series was not to bad.

Solid thoughts and if any of you all are up toward NWI (I shoot at Debs here and there), you are always more than welcome to take a few shots at the pistols I am shooting that day. I am not sure if Debs will allow customers anyplace to really examine them, but if they do... I like to play show and tell in person!

Anyway, Im all for shooting and getting a perfect understanding on what you like before dropping large dollars on a pistol.

The other thing is... What I like, may not be what you like. What I think is worth 4K, you may think is far to much... the only way to determine that is by handling and seeing this stuff in person.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom