• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    I have a Colt 1911 Government that I need to get a holster for. Now I really dont know much about holsters as I have never carried before. I would like something light and secure that isnt going to fall apart during training. I would like to keep it under $50, if possible. Thank you!

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    You might look at Aker

Aker International, Inc.

or Don Hume

Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

I've never owned either brand, but hear they are good quality holsters for the money.

I was thinking you were asking for leather, but after re-reading your post I see you didn't specify. You will have a harder time finding a quality leather holster for $50...Hopefully some of the "Plastic" guys will chime in for you.

Leather isnt a necessity, I actually would prefer synthetic, I assume they would last longer than rubber. I should have clarified in the original post.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Depends on what you're looking for. IWB (inside the waist band) or OWB (outside the waistband). I love my Fobus Paddle Holster when I open carry my 1911.gov. When I have to conceal carry, I sport my 1911 officer in a bladetech iwb but also have a don hume iwb for the .gov model.

The fobus and bladetech's are by far my favorites. The fobus was $35 at Beech Grove Firearms so it's under the $50 threshold you set. The bladetech was $60.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    My first suggestion for an OWB holster was a Raven Ghost but I can't seem to find them on their website anymore. Could probably contact them, but the wait would be a lot for that simple of a holster.

For IWB I honestly recommend this:
    TRW-221 - Blade-Tech Phantom Series Holster 1911 Government Right Hand Positive Lock Trigger Guard Twin Belt Loops
    I got one from a member off here not too long ago and I like it a lot. It is cheap price wise, but it is well made and durable.

I HATE the Fobus, but I do like the Blackhawk Serpa for range use OWB.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Blackhawk Serpa or Safariland ALS holsters are pretty decent for under $50. I wouldn't call them concealment holsters, but it doesn't sound like you're ready for that right now.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Blackhawk
    It upsets me when I see this. How many holsters do you own? I am not bashing you, but I see too many people jumping on the blackhawk bandwagon because of the name. When you have tried out a couple holsters then make an educated decision and support it with your opinions based on other holsters you have owned. I have a serpa holster and it works for a certain type of shooting, but it is bulky and sits off your hips considerably. The locking mech CAN fail, and I have had it fail at a 3 day course at Front Sight (during the shooting test at the end, go figure). I think the Serpa works well for range use, but as a marine I live by the motto "train how you fight" and I will not be taking a serpa to a gun fight (if I have a choice) I have tried a cheaper leather holster that you could wear in a few different positions and the leather belt loops stretched with the weight of the gun. I switched to a Glaco leather holster that was IWB and it didn't stay open after I drew and the fact that it had one belt loop made it tilt in my pants. I tried a few other cheap IWB and OWB options and then I got a Raven Phantom LC. It is great OWB and it works fine for IWB but I have heard a lot about the hybrid style holsters and am looking forward to trying one in the near future.

Like I said before, different holsters serve different purposes. The Blackhawk is great in the slice of carrying it was designed for, but if that design is not exactly what you are looking for, there are better options out there. Just my honest opinion.:D

Top Bottom