• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Salvation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Hamilton Co
    Just put 100 rnds thru the new Para. I did experience several mis-feeds and the slide wouldnt lock back when the mag was empty, however the range Marshal said it was possibly just New Gun Syndrome. Said if it continues to happen after 200 rnds to have it looked at. While I was half expecting this its not the issue Im having.

After getting home and cleaning everything I noticed that when the slide is locked back and I send it forward the hammer drops. Not to the point it engages the firing pin but to the half cocked position. Im curious to know what might be causing this. Bad sear? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Ok on to part 2. I seem to be hitting my targets to the left of center a fair amount. I know the first few rounds I was anticipating some more recoil than I was used to but as I got more comfortable I still seemed to be shooting to the left.

021312190206.jpg

First target of the day

021312190223.jpg

021312190240.jpg

#3 seemed to be doing better at this point.

I realize without actually being there to see me shoot I'm sure there will be several possibilities as to what I may need to fix.

Thanks ahead of time
    Kev

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I haven't shot a Para but having the hammer fall to half cock on slide release does not sound good. Either factory or gunsmith for this part.

You didn't say how far you were shooting or if you are shooting offhand or from a rest. I assume it is offhand and maybe 8 yards or so?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    BTW, when I bought my Colt I shot a couple of boxes of ammo thru it and couldn't hit anything. I was disgusted but had always shot wheelguns before. After a few hundred rounds I began to get the feel for it. Even got to the place where I could deliberately cause a stovepipe at will. Just don't give up, I think it takes a while to master the 45 auto but once you get it you will be surprised what you can do with it.

Salvation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Hamilton Co
    I haven't shot a Para but having the hammer fall to half cock on slide release does not sound good. Either factory or gunsmith for this part.

You didn't say how far you were shooting or if you are shooting offhand or from a rest. I assume it is offhand and maybe 8 yards or so?

About 7 yrds out. The last target I tried to control my breathing (fire on the exhale) and did better. That may be all I need to work on but if anyone else has their suspicions by all means chime in.

Kev

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Grip and trigger. Go to the tactics thread and look at how to grip. There is a lifetime of info in there to be learned. If you are pushing the trigger as you pull it will push the nose of the gun to the left enough to cause this.
    In a 1911 the mags are a major part of how the gun runs, feeds and locks back. I have several Paras in single and double stack. I also have multiple mags. A few have an issue in a particular gun locking the slide when spent but work fine in another gun. They always do it in that particular gun.
    As to the hammer. Does that happen when you release the slide lock only or when you pull the slide back off the lock. Or both. It should stay fully cocked.
    Which Para do you have.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    it is not unusual for a new 1911 POI to change for the first couple hundred rounds while it breaks in. But the hammer following would both me. I just have to wonder how you were able to fire it unless it is a LDA or double action PARA.

If it is brand new send it back to PARA to have them fix that and the slide lock issue. It probably would not be hard to correct these issues although the hammer following could require a new part or two (hammer and sear maybe) so let the warranty cover it.

I don't know much about the LDA trigger system it may be normal :(

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    With the hammer falling to the half cock position, I woudl think a bad sear, or the safety has been worn that the sear slips past it. When I was fitting a new safety, I filed it down too much, and when the safety was in the safe position, the sear would slip and the hammer would slightly drop before it caught.

What type of ammo were you shooting? All the 1911's i have ever shot always jam using steel cased ammo. I only use brass loads now.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Once again I agree with rockhopper. If it's new send it back. Hammer should never drop to half cock when you release the slide.. That could be a very dangerous situation. Most makers will send a prepaid shipper in a case like this because it's a liability issue. Call Para and tell them what is going on and I would imagine they will be happy to correct the problem.
    Shooting left could be you or the sight may actually need to be pushed a little. Have someone else that is familiar with 1911s shoot it and see if they have the same problem. Slide not staying back on the last shot.. I have two words for you, Wilson mag. That will solve many feeding issues and nearly any mag issue.

Salvation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Hamilton Co
    THe hammer falling only seems to occur if the slide is locked back and I send it forward by releasing the slide stop. Seems fine if I cycle the slide manually without letting it lock back. I can double check it with the Snap caps I have to be sure. It is a SAO and I was using Remmington UMC 230gr in FMJ. Im wondering if the slide slamming forward from the locked position (fairly violent) is enough to let it slip off the sear.

I tried it with the snap caps and it does not hit the firing pin but it still disconcerting. Cycling it manually it functions they way it should.

Kev

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Did you safety check it? Sounds like it's the hammer/sear relation.

After ensuring its unloaded, if you Pull the trigger to let the hammer fall keep it pinned to the rear and cycle the slide. Once cycled, release the trigger slowly. Does it "click" before going all the way forward?

If it doesn't the disconnectir might be out of spec.

I would send it back regardless, this is not the first safety issue I've heard of with Para.

When you get it back, perform the 1911 full safety check before accepting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4wPgoBoycI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If it resets the disconnector isn't the issue and it's the hammer/sear hooks. A gunsmith can probably fix it easy, but send it back...since it shouldn't have issues.

Salvation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Hamilton Co
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll give Para a call and see what they have say.

Kinda sux having to send a brand new firearm back. At least I got to put a few rounds thru it!

Anyone ever dealt with Para's Customer service?

Kev

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It's probably not a hammer/sear issue. You can lock your slide back and while holding the trigger to the rear release the slide. Do this 3-4 times and if the hammer doesn't fall then its not your hammer/sear. Most likely you're getting some trigger bounce. Probably due to either the sear spring leg doesn't have enough tension on the sear or the middle leaf for the trigger needs a little more tension. Para can probably get you fixed up pretty quick. Make sure you get a call tag so you're not paying the horrendous shipping charges for next day air.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Are you letting the slide fall full force on an empty chamber? I was told not to let the slide fall without pulling a round from the mag. Without the extra friction, the slide will slam with too much force and might damage the gun.

Mark

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Are you letting the slide fall full force on an empty chamber? I was told not to let the slide fall without pulling a round from the mag. Without the extra friction, the slide will slam with too much force and might damage the gun.

Mark

Yes, let the slide fall full force to check for hammer follow (you're right not to do it for no reason though). You won't really damage the gun but what can happen is you can eventually ruin a good trigger job so it's not something you want to do unless you have a really good reason. If you suspect a hammer follow issue (or need to test a repair for hammer follow) it'll usually show up after dropping the slide 3-5 times which won't hurt anything.

Top Bottom