• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I pretty much just use Ballistol on most everything anymore.
    If you lived near me, I'd give you my can of Ballistol. That stuff took my breath away the first time I tried to use it cleaning a gun.

Man, does it have a strong odor to it. I guess it's safe but I will use it outdoors only at this point.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If you lived near me, I'd give you my can of Ballistol. That stuff took my breath away the first time I tried to use it cleaning a gun.

Man, does it have a strong odor to it. I guess it's safe but I will use it outdoors only at this point.

Ballistol is great stuff but, as you noted, the smell is brutal and long lasting. I use Breakfree CLP and/or Hoppes instead for that kind of a cleaner/lubricant.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ballistol is great stuff but, as you noted, the smell is brutal and long lasting. I use Breakfree CLP and/or Hoppes instead for that kind of a cleaner/lubricant.
    I'm thinking it may be okay to spray down my yard tools and tiller tines when I put them away for the season to prevent the from rusting. Then it's outside in my storage barn for the most part.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Lubrication is good. Keeping it clean is good. We have so many great products, I really don't think it makes much difference. Around 1998 I bought a carton of the tins of US military issue white gun grease. M1's, M1a's, AR's, 1911's, M9's. Anything that slid would get it. Before that I used whatever is handy. Now I use whatever I had. I have oiled guns in the hunting field with drops off the dipstick. Reasonably cleaned and reasonably lubed, your gun will outlast you.

I was part of the Kawasaki Concours Owners Group for years. We did a lube survey with dozens of owners that had 100,000 plus miles on the original engine build. Some had 200,000. It was broken down to using mostly; Motorcycle synthetic, Motorcycle dino oil, after market Car synthetic and Car dino oil. Some may have used all 4, but were credited under the most commonly used product. NO oil related failures were experienced using any of the categories. Two common denominators were the riders that rode a lot, usually having multiple Iron Butt entries, and they were all people who kept up regular maintenance intervals.

I think gun lube is the same. As long as the grit gets wiped away regularly and there is some lube on it, we will never have a lube related problem. If all I have is some 30 wt lawn mower oil handy, I am not afraid to use it on any of my firearms.

Last edited:

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    i use prolix lube . it is a cleaner , lubricant & preservative . i have all type of firearms , semi auto's , wheel guns , most handgun types & calibers , long guns center fire & pump action & different semi auto's . a wide variety . been using this lube cleaner for bout 25 years .once you use it as a cleaner , scrub gun good , simply wipe excess off and you are ready to go ! it is made FOR GUNS ONLY . . they have a web site . would pay to look them up . it IS great stuff !

Top Bottom