• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Hey guys, I searched the handgun threads but wasnt able to find an answere to my question. Maybe its too much of a no brainer. Anyways, I just purchased a new and my first 1911. Woop Woop! Now i need some mags as i only have one 7 rounder. Id like to have mags with a larger capacity but dont want a mag that extends any further than the grip. So my question is, what is the highest capicity you can get in a flush mag. Also, what does everyone recomend for a quality, affordable mag (blued)? And a good place to purchase them. Thanks.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I can not answer your question, but will tell you that one you get your answer, you purchase only one initially to see if you particular 1911 will like it. I must have two picky pistols as neither seem to like the Chip McCormicks or the Mec Gars or whatever their name is, but work just fine with their factory magazines. It also seems to be more of an issue than just adjusting the magazine lips. Could be a minute fraction of an inch insertion distance. Could be the pressure of the springs. Since I noticed the problem several years ago, I have kept track of what magazines are being used in trying to remedy the situation and have never had a FTF or an FTE with a factory mag in either gun. If you find that yours likes a particular brand, the buy a box of them after you are satisfied that they will work. My remedy was to bite the bullet and buy a few more factory mags for each one, but that will not satisfy your higher capacity problem. Good luck.Just some advice from an old guy.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    CMC (chip Mcormick) or factory COLT mags have always been dependable in any 1911 I ever owned. I have thrown away enough other magazines to fill a bucket. My latest 1911 came with a couple of ProMags. If they would have scrimped on their fancy logo and put the quality into the mag, they might have been good. They are in the dumpster at the range. Life is too short to fight undependable magazines, no matter how slick their advertizing is.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    My 1911 is super finicky. The ones that work are flawless, but some just do not want to. The stainless Chip McCormick's work great but the blued ones will not. The blued ones bind for some reason.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Wilson 47D's are the gold standard in 1911 mags. You get what you pay for in mags. If you want a flush fit just take off the "bumper" on the bottom of the mag. :ingo:

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks for the input. So 8 rounds is as high as i can go to still achieve the flush grip. Looks like dependability is a common propblem with mags. Glad i asked, Ill pick one up at a time and try it out before buying multiple. Hope the first one i try wokrs!

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Colt mags in my Colt are flawless.

Which 1911 do you have?

Oh and mine are 8 rounders loaded with 8 rounds.

Jimmy

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey guys, I searched the handgun threads but wasnt able to find an answere to my question. Maybe its too much of a no brainer. Anyways, I just purchased a new and my first 1911. Woop Woop! Now i need some mags as i only have one 7 rounder. Id like to have mags with a larger capacity but dont want a mag that extends any further than the grip. So my question is, what is the highest capicity you can get in a flush mag. Also, what does everyone recomend for a quality, affordable mag (blued)? And a good place to purchase them. Thanks.

Wilson combat Mags, 47D for the Commander length. I bought two, they are so much better than the ones S&W included with the gun. If i recall, they were about $28 from MidwayUSA.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Chip McCormick mags work in all my 1911's. I feel they are the best value for the dollar in my personal experience. Wilson, the golden magazine, works in some of my 1911's. If you really want top shelf mags, Tripp Research magazines ARE the top of the line. They work flawless in anything I have tried them in and their price reflects this. The only carry 1911 that dosen't use Tripp's is my EMP which uses pripority mags which run great and are McGear's. and run flawless also.

As stated before, you need to try 1 or 2 "insert brand here" and see what your 1911 likes. As for carry mags, use the best proven magazine your 1911 will run. I feel without even thinking about it, that my life is worth the $40-$50 per mag I carry for self protection.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Wilson, and CMC are the go to for most people. I've always found CMC at a much better price peronally, and they run great in my 1911 so that is what I have used.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Colt mags in my Colt are flawless.

Which 1911 do you have?

Oh and mine are 8 rounders loaded with 8 rounds.

Jimmy

My 1911 is a Springfield full size mil spec. It looks like CMC is going to win the popular vote with Wilson combat in close second. Ill probably pick up one or two of either of these and give em a whirl. Thanks for all of the input guys. I can tell that there are a lot of 1911 fans on here. One thing im noticing and liking about the 1911 is that it doesnt seem like theyre being effected much by all of the panic buying. Midway has CMC mags in stock for 18 ea before shipping. Anyone been able to find 45 lately?

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the input. So 8 rounds is as high as i can go to still achieve the flush grip. Looks like dependability is a common propblem with mags. Glad i asked, Ill pick one up at a time and try it out before buying multiple. Hope the first one i try wokrs!

Buying one brand at a time is exactly what you should do. Even though lots of owners will say "brand x runs perfectly in everything" 1911's are very much individual guns, and they have preferences. That being said...my Springfield prefers Chip 8 rounders :)

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Picked up a couple CMC mags at bradis yesterday. Ill see how they work if i ever find some ammo. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom