• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    Just traded some guitars for a Para 1911 GI Expect. So far I'm digging it but I'll be able to go throw some rounds through it tomorrow afternoon.

Mag compatibility - I read that theoretically all 1911 mags should work. I was looking to pick up 2 more. Does anyone have a favorite?

There was another question but am having a brain fart.

0168b444.jpg

With my xdm and my buddy's M&P9C

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Just traded some guitars for a Para 1911 GI Expect. So far I'm digging it but I'll be able to go throw some rounds through it tomorrow afternoon.

Mag compatibility - I read that theoretically all 1911 mags should work. I was looking to pick up 2 more. Does anyone have a favorite?

There was another question but am having a brain fart.

0168b444.jpg

With my xdm and my buddy's M&P9C

I like the 7 rd original GI issue mags, cheap, plentiful and reliable. Ive got probably a dozen, never had a mag problem. I like them better than the factory 8 rd mags mine came with, just personal preference.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    There are a lot of good mags on the market these days. I like the Wilson Combat and CMC powermags. I have and use other kinds, but those are what end up in my carry guns.

salamander42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Indianapolis
    +1 for the GI 7 rounders

When I was in Bradis last weekend they had what I'm assuming are surplus magazines for 7 or 8 bucks if I recall correctly. These were brand new. . . Still in their little plastic bags and soaked in oil. I've never seen them like that before. I picked up a couple of them and last night I cleaned 'em up and this morning I took them out to the range. They work just fine, and you can't really beat the price. I have one Chip McCormick 8 rounder that I picked up as well (17.95 at Bradis) but haven't used it enough to say weather or not I prefer it over the GI 7 rounders. I do know that I don't' care for the aesthetics of the base pad that came installed on it, but I can see the advantage of having it if you need to reload under stress, so weather I stick with 7 round mags or decide to get more 8 rounders, I think the 2 that I carry for reloads will end up with similar base pads, while the one in the gun will remain flush fitting.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I do know that I don't' care for the aesthetics of the base pad that came installed on it, but I can see the advantage of having it if you need to reload under stress, so weather I stick with 7 round mags or decide to get more 8 rounders, I think the 2 that I carry for reloads will end up with similar base pads, while the one in the gun will remain flush fitting.

I see why you might do that, but aren't you most likely to have to dump the mag that you carry in the gun under stress? Seems like the one in the gun would be the one to get a base pad, unless it adds so much bulk that it causes the gun to print, etc when carrying concealed.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've got one wilson that a past 1911 that I had didn't like, and for some reason the mag catch in my kimber custom compact won't catch it when its put in. But it does all my other mags. So its been put to just target use and I use only CMCormick mags for carry use for both my Springfield Mil spec and the Kimber. I do have some other cheaper mags as well and they work great in both guns. I will be picking up more GI mags and some more CMC in the near future.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Wilson Combat is my personal favorite but 1911s can be a bit particular. Just test what you are using for reliability. :twocents:

This is good advice!!! I have seen Mega buck, beautifully hand tuned 1911's brought to their knees by magazines, sometimes even high end mags that a certain gun does not like. Good mags THAT RUN IN YOUR GUN are critical. I would try various mags to figure which ones your Para likes. GI 7 rounders may work great. Wilson and Tripp seem to build the best 8 rounders but CMC is another good choice. Basically Don't shell out a ton for Wilson ETMs or 47D's only to find out they do not run in your 1911. Oh and do not forget that Mags need tune up and cleaning like your pistol itself. Mine are numbered so I can test them and change springs or discard if they become unreliable.:twocents: + :twocents:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wilson Combat 47D are the gold standard for 1911 magazines. Chip McCormick Power Mags and Shooting Star magazines are very good as well. Tripp Research Cobra Mags are also excellent.

salamander42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I do know that I don't' care for the aesthetics of the base pad that came installed on it, but I can see the advantage of having it if you need to reload under stress, so weather I stick with 7 round mags or decide to get more 8 rounders, I think the 2 that I carry for reloads will end up with similar base pads, while the one in the gun will remain flush fitting.

I see why you might do that, but aren't you most likely to have to dump the mag that you carry in the gun under stress? Seems like the one in the gun would be the one to get a base pad, unless it adds so much bulk that it causes the gun to print, etc when carrying concealed.

The magazines in a 1911 drop free when you hit the release, so no need to touch the one that's coming out of the gun, and no advantage (in my opinion) to having the base plate on there. I want the base plates on the reloads to give me a little extra something to push against to make sure that the magazine is fully inserted and locked into the gun.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Wilson 47D's. I have beat the living snot out 47D's for years. Tens of thousands of rounds and I have only had to replace the springs.

As someone posted above, some 1911's can be picky with mags. Try some different mags and see which one your 1911 likes.

Top Bottom