• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    I mostly have Kimber mags and have had no issues with them . I also have some Chip McCormick Power mags and a Colt that I really haven't ever used. Looking for opinions on these mags and others that you think are worth having.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wilson Combat 47D mags and Tripp mags are my favorites. I'm also a big fan of the Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags for low cost practice mags that could be pressed into service as carry/duty mags if needed. Get a Wilson mag and you'll see the difference.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have mostly 47Ds, some Chip McCormick, and a dozen or so random Colt/Springfield/other mags. I hear good things about Tripp, but haven't tried them in my guns. I'm comfortable with the Wilson and McCormick mags for carry.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    As soon as I get a new 1911 in the house the factory mag comes out and a Tripp Cobra mag goes in. Been using 8 & 10 round Tripps for years through at lease seven 1911s with no negative issues.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Metalform mags, good value (assume because they are not well known). Been using them for over 3 years in Steel matches without any feeding issues.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Just did a range session yesterday for a RIA 45 Govt Model. Mag report: Wilson 47D, Chip McCormick, Kim Pro Tactical, and some Korean War Stamped 7 rds, all shot perfect.
    Brand New Colt Factory 7 rd(stamped with the pony and name) choked, follower jammed forward and would not eject. Slide would not lock l back till I turned gun upside down, gave a shake , rattle and tap.

Gun is new, so going through break in. 230 gr Ball rounds fired, all reloaded mags fired, Colt did it's jam up again. Took a piece of sand cloth, dressed the painted finish edges of the follower, same result. Retiring the new Colt Mag till another session. Gun came with an ACT mag. Reviews said they suck, didn't try it at all.

Since I had the others, tried all to get results. The SS Wilsons, and Kim Pro Tactical were like butter, smooth and flew out when ejected, The WW2/Korean war ones also came out clean, but will get a light silicone wipe down to assist.( They have been stored in a WW1 web Ammo pouch, and were my Uncle's from previous Army service.
    Probably been loaded and stored for 40 yrs!) When we cleaned his garage, we found them on a top shelf, wrapped in newspaper from the 50's.

Ria 45 Auto ate all the ammo, including some Gold Dot HPs. Was surprised.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    My preference is Checkmate 7 round wadcutter feedlips.
    CM45-7-S Magazines - 7 Round Magazines - Check-Mate Industries, Inc.

If you're only shooting ball, the checkmate 7 round GI feedlips version would be better.
    CM45-7-S-GI Magazines - 7 Round Magazines - Check-Mate Industries, Inc.

I have quite a few of the 8 round hybrid feedlip mags from them, but they're a little more picky about the seating depth of a 200gr SWC, they've never given me an issue with anything else though.
    CM45-8-S-H Magazines - 8 Round Magazines - Check-Mate Industries, Inc.

For absolute reliability with everything, I prefer the 7 round wadcutter mags. Checkmates are some seriously beefy constructed mags with extremely strong springs already in them.

cmkaehr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Wilson 47d, and chip's are great. Personally I like the Wilson better than the chip's

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've used colt, mccormick, and wilson mags. they all work reliably but I prefer the wilson followers. they're grooved to hold the cartridge and move more smoothly. the big advantage to the wilson mags is that the base pad is removable, sothey're easier to disassemble and clean.

Top Bottom