1911 magazine sticking at the mag release on insert.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hi, been a while.

Recent events led to me pulling my Colt 1911 out of the safe, and I discovered a problem when inserting the stock Colt magazine. It goes in smoothly until it reaches where the mag release is, then stops pretty hard. Can get it in with a hearty pound, but it certainly doesn't feel normal. Pressing in on the mag release button will allow it to smoothly go in.

Not sure what would have changed? I haven't shot this thing all that much, it was well oiled before going into the safe, but it probably had been a while. Is this a common issue that can come up with 1911s? Is there an adjustment I can make with the mag release button that would fix it?

Thanks

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Make sure the catch slides easily in the frame and isn't sticking. Pull ot the magazine catch and inspect for damage. Polish contact area.
    Check the magazine lips for being slightly bent outward where it contacts the catch.
    Some of the newer magazines are being made with a slight dimple at the contact area to help with this situation.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Several of my 1911s are like that. The Colts in particular. If it has not been like that before, try pulling the mag release out and see if there is anything in the spring channel that might be making it stiffer than it used to be. While out, check the mag release channel for anything that might be impeding the mags ability to push it out of the way when seating the mag.

Like mcapo says, try different mags to see if that helps too.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks. Checked some other mags, same issue. The mag release button feels very stiff.... so I expect the normal pressure of pushing a mag in isn't enough to depress the mag catch.

Never disassembled the mag release, I assume just unscrew that tiny screw on the opposite side of it... I'll give that a shot tonight.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks. Checked some other mags, same issue. The mag release button feels very stiff.... so I expect the normal pressure of pushing a mag in isn't enough to depress the mag catch.

Never disassembled the mag release, I assume just unscrew that tiny screw on the opposite side of it... I'll give that a shot tonight.
    Yup, not really unscrew it but turn a quarter turn and it will pop out. If I recall, depressing the mag release slightly while turning.

Top Bottom