• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Px4user133

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Westfield
    I have a charles daly 1911. does it matter what kind of magazines I buy as long as its a single stack 1911 magazine or are there certain ones i should look at?

Stove Pipe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes , you are correct,I own a EMP Charles Daly to and it has a smooth triger pull.I have bought Chip McCormick 8 and 10 Round magazine and they have worked just fine.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I have a charles daly 1911. does it matter what kind of magazines I buy as long as its a single stack 1911 magazine or are there certain ones i should look at?

The 1911 is very magazine dependent. It's a controlled feed and very precise. The magazine is the heart of the system.

You will get failures with CMC Shooting Stars, though the mag body is good.

You will want to use one of these:

1. Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines (Tripp Research Cobra Mag)

2. Wilson #47 7 round mag. Used by the MEU. Avoid the #47D.

3. CMC Shooting Star mags are good if gutted and upgraded with Tripp's kit.

I have talked to people who have had CMC Power Mags blow the bottoms out during IDPA matches. Unlike Wilson, which uses the bumper as a secondary retaining device, the CMC Power Mags use the plastic bumper as the primary (and only) spring retaining device. If it fails (and, as noted, it has), you will lose your rounds.

Do not skimp on mags. You might get away with it -- for a while -- but sooner or later you'll pay more than if you invested in good mags to begin with.

Josh

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    WC ETM'S 8rd's are the best i have found.....they run in everything i have...

Wilson ETM's have ran great for me. I use these mags to shoot USPSA and for every day carry.

The mags you pick to use in your 1911 can be very important to the overall reliability of your gun.

Tripps research also makes a great mag.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    #47Ds

The 1911 is very magazine dependent. It's a controlled feed and very precise. The magazine is the heart of the system.

You will get failures with CMC Shooting Stars, though the mag body is good.

You will want to use one of these:

1. Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines (Tripp Research Cobra Mag)

2. Wilson #47 7 round mag. Used by the MEU. Avoid the #47D.

3. CMC Shooting Star mags are good if gutted and upgraded with Tripp's kit.

I have talked to people who have had CMC Power Mags blow the bottoms out during IDPA matches. Unlike Wilson, which uses the bumper as a secondary retaining device, the CMC Power Mags use the plastic bumper as the primary (and only) spring retaining device. If it fails (and, as noted, it has), you will lose your rounds.

Do not skimp on mags. You might get away with it -- for a while -- but sooner or later you'll pay more than if you invested in good mags to begin with.

Josh

Josh, why do you say to avoid the #47Ds???

Reason I ask is, not only have I had terrific results over the years with these Wilson mags but they were the standard that all others were measured to.... and usually the others fell short.

I have 20+ that I received in trades, bought new at a shop closing their doors so I havent bought any other 1911 mags in years.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    CMC Shooting Stars!

I bought 4 of the CMC Shooting Star 8 rnd. mags, and these will not feed HP ammo is my Taurus PT1911. This gun works great with other mags. So, I should gut the CMCs and put different spring and follower in them.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Josh, why do you say to avoid the #47Ds???

Reason I ask is, not only have I had terrific results over the years with these Wilson mags but they were the standard that all others were measured to.... and usually the others fell short.

I have 20+ that I received in trades, bought new at a shop closing their doors so I havent bought any other 1911 mags in years.

Hello,

The #47D is same body as the standard length #47. It just has the follower modified to take an eighth round, and this compresses the spring too much.

All this pressure, first, is not good for the spring and reduces life. Next, it causes excessive nose-down of the first round fed, and will reduce life of that round due to setback.

The #47D was an answer to the newfangled eight round mags coming out, and it leave much to be desired, as do all seven round mags redesigned to feed eight rounds by use of a new follower.

True eight round mags use slightly longer bodies. This includes Mec-Gar, ACT, Tripp, and WC ETM.

I suggest you make a few dummy rounds and slowly hand feed them. Compare that first round off the stack to how the rest feed. You'll see why it's not a good thing, especially if you're going to have to unchamber a lot.

Also, there is the theoretical possibility that, if you load 8+1, that first round off the mag will cause cycling problems, depending upon the pistol, of course.

In short, Sir, it's best to get an 8 round body for an eight round mag, and a seven round body for a seven round mag. Concave and split followers to not an eight round mag make.

Josh

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Mec Gar, if you polled the guys who shoot for a living you would find the majority depend on Mec Gars because they work. Mec Gar builds the OEM mags for many companies including Beretta, Colt, Sig, Springfield, Kimber, Walther, and many others. It is the only magazine for the 1911 platform I will use.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Mec Gar, if you polled the guys who shoot for a living you would find the majority depend on Mec Gars because they work. Mec Gar builds the OEM mags for many companies including Beretta, Colt, Sig, Springfield, Kimber, Walther, and many others. It is the only magazine for the 1911 platform I will use.

+1

I've never had any problems with Mec Gar mags in any platform I've ran them in. If and when I get back into the 1911, I'm going to be buying spare mec gar mags.

Top Bottom