• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I am looking to pick up some 1911 magazines. Maybe 5 or so. I am spendthrift and really wouldn't want to spend $10 each, or $12 shipping included. Can any of you guys recommend a place online to get them inexpensively? Also, if you know of a place that sells decent quality mag holders for me to keep on my belt that would be awesome too. They don't need to be for every day carry, just for occasional target practice about once a month. Thanks in advance.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Buy quality magazines.... uh, I don't see you finding quality magazines for $10 or $12 each... just my opinion. Cheap magazines (quality as well as cost) are quite often the cause of function issues with an otherwise excellent 1911.

Gray Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    My problem w/cheep mags. is on the last round the follower does not push the slide catch up hard enough to lock the slide open.leaving you to think you have a round in the chamber.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have Chip McCormick, Wilson , Kimber and Tripp, all are $35 or more, I dont want to buy them twice:D

8 round McCormick Shooting Stars at Elmores for Full Size 1911s are $26.00 as of 3:00pm today when I stopped in and purchased one as a replacement for a RIA I just picked up.
    I've been using the CMC for decades and always have been pleased with the performance, price, and dependability of them.
    Wilson has a "service" model for around $20 that's a decent mag but the CMC s do it for me. I also like the CMC Shooting Stars because the pad is not attached when you buy them. I don't like the pad on the bottom of my mags.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Sorry to crap on this thread, but I just don't understand why manufacturers can't include a mag that will function properly right out of the box? Why do these manufacturers continue to provide crappy mags? Maybe it's because we go out and happily buy their guns despite the fact that we are required to upgrade it immediately in order for it to function.

sandman76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2010
    one question on mags what is up with ordering tripp mags i placed a order a week ago and have never heard nothing from them. I have called and emailed and never get nothing. No one very answers the phone.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    If you want quality mags ,CMC or Wilson are the choice .Have heard god things about Tripp as well but have no experience with them.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Three words for you , Wilson, Wilson, Wilson... The mag is the heart of your pistol, without it your 1911 is a one shooter. IMHO it's silly to skimp where it counts.

Bingo- eliminate forever any magazine related issues with the 1911. I trust mine as well as others lives with them. Sure anything mechanical can fail, but IMO Wilson mags almost eliminate that possibility. Wilson mags for the 1911 are what Pmags are to the AR/M16, darn near if not perfect.:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Thank so much for the real world expertise. I borrowed some mags for practice this weekend and my lack of familiarity with them resulted in quite a few ftf or fail to seat. It's really hard to put a price on dignity. I will be buying quality and same brand to avoid looking and feeling like an idiot again.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Wait... I have SA mags which are checkmate...which work just fine? Am I doing something wrong?

You will die in a pool of your own blood next to a pile of fully loaded mags that are all ftf. ... I think you'll be ok. I always like the mags that came with my springers.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom