• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I HATE ginormous billboard rollmarks. Especially tacky ones that look like they've been drawn by a 2nd grader. Even if the gun it's on is fantastic by all other standards, I can't get myself past the gaudy roll mark. Am I wrong?

Compare:
    18214_3570_1_lg.jpg

CZ01926.jpg

Option A: tacky.
    Option B: tasteful and understated.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm not a fan of that, either. I was considering purchasing a ria 1911, but that's one reason i've been back and forth on it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Cant say it would make any difference to me. More concerned about performance than esthetics. What gets me is gaudy engraving like giant gold leaf scrolled all over the slide.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Clean lines are a must.
    I personally don't like the look of a pad on the bottom of a mag on the 1911s either.
    I don't like large target sights.
    Nice wood checkered grips, smooth sided slide, no ambidexterous safety.
    Simple and clean look is what does it for me.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I agree. Billboard logos on slides or barrels are the ultimate in cheeseball advertising. No matter how nice the gun is I won't buy from companies who think this is OK to do.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I think some are tastefully done. And I also agree that some have completely gone overboard. Springfield EMP one of my favorites is beautifully done.

photo-114.png

photo-113.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm put off by the billboards as well. I don't mind some of them that are around the size of the Kimber logo. Some of them are pretty gaudy and while I won't say that I'd never buy a gun based on the size of it's billboard, I tend to not even look at the ones that are over the top. If I don't look at them, I will probably not read reviews about them. On a table at a gun show, I won't intentionally skip them, but I will be more likely to pick up a good looking gun than a bad looking one. Of all of the gun shows I've been to, and all of the gun stores I've frequented, even though I love 1911s, I have yet to touch a Taurus. There is usually something more interesting to me than the advertisement with a gun underneath.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I do love the look of the dan wesson .

THIS!!! :rockwoot:

I also find the small script roll mark on MOST Colt's to be acceptable. My stainless Commander's markings are very subtle. I'm with you; hate the HUGE, cover the slide, logos! Taurus comes to mind...........And I am not a Taurus basher.

dingodog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Monticello
    I don't think any of these are that bad. I have seen some really terrible ones, every spot is stamped with something. I find a gun full of etching and scrolling much more unappealing.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    agreed to a certain point. some people want the advertisong so they can show it off. to me it doesnt matter as long as it will save my life. thats all i really care about

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I spend huge money on a 1911 I want it clean and sexy. My Springfield Trophy Match is a bit gaudy by my standards and I had to get passed that to buy it. Once in my hand I knew the piece was the real thing.
    If I am going to advertise for a Manufacturer I feel they should send me a check or give me a break on the purchase price. JMO.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    These are pics of the 1911s I own, they have varying degrees of rollmarks, none of which particularly bother me.

In "REAL LIFE" they are much less noticable than in pictures on the internet.

And I cant imagine NOT having front cocking serrations. Not having them would seriously hamper me in operating the gun.

O4840WC.png

55899.jpg

Update%20maart%202010%20052.jpg

Top Bottom