• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I have owned a 1911 for years, but have never really carried one. I have always carried striker fired or revolvers. I would like to start carrying my Smith 1911sc commander which has the rounded heal, the purpose of buying it years ago was to carry it. This has an ambi safety and they are kinda big. Should I have it converted to a more carry friendly safety, ie. strong side only small safety to reduce the chance of it being bumped off or is the large ambi safety not much of a concern?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    When i went to a 1911 for carry i swapped out a big safety for a repro GI style one because of the small nub. Anything more seems excessive to me. In reality if your firearm is in top operating condition and you keep your finger off the trigger it doesnt matter either way, but for me yes i would swap em out. Makes your gun thinner too

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Getting to the meat of the 1911 carry here... IF it ain't broke... don't fix it.
    Get a GOOD holster that protects the ambi safety and a good belt. 1911 carry is easier than non-believers could imagine.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have owned a 1911 for years, but have never really carried one. I have always carried striker fired or revolvers. I would like to start carrying my Smith 1911sc commander which has the rounded heal, the purpose of buying it years ago was to carry it. This has an ambi safety and they are kinda big. Should I have it converted to a more carry friendly safety, ie. strong side only small safety to reduce the chance of it being bumped off or is the large ambi safety not much of a concern?

Not sure if your iwb or own but I have a Galco Cop Series 3 slot Holster it makes all day carry comfortable. It has a retention strap that fits well and Carry condition 1 no problem you can twist turn etc and it does not effect the safety. And all mine have the over sized safetys.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I have an ambi safety on my Para Warthog. Over the years I have caught it on stuff and knocked it off (two or three times without even noticing until I unholster at night) but day in and day out I don't even notice it being bigger or bulkier.

I like the idea of an ambi safety because what if I have to fight left handed?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Getting to the meat of the 1911 carry here... IF it ain't broke... don't fix it.
    Get a GOOD holster that protects the ambi safety and a good belt. 1911 carry is easier than non-believers could imagine.

Totally agreed. If you do want a smaller safety, that's fine but I'd leave it ambi.

I have an ambi safety on my Para Warthog. Over the years I have caught it on stuff and knocked it off (two or three times without even noticing until I unholster at night) but day in and day out I don't even notice it being bigger or bulkier.

I like the idea of an ambi safety because what if I have to fight left handed?

...and this is why I say that. If you have to use it weak hand, it would be nice to be able to disengage the safety easily to do so.

I was carrying a 1911 but switched to my Sig P226 Legion SAO which has a large ambi safety like a 1911. I feel very secure with it and haven't ever bumped into something where it disengaged, but even if it did it wouldn't matter. I have a proper holster that completely covers the trigger and I never put my finger on the trigger unless I'm lined up with a target. Due to that, the safety getting bumped off, even if it were to occur, would not be a major problem.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I will put it thru it's paces before carrying it, I had the great guys at Elmore's switch it to a strong side Wilson combat safety. I wanted the new shield .45, but couldn't justify ANOTHER single stack .45. normally carry a G30s.

Top Bottom