Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    View attachment 308428

My first 1911 humble Springfield milspec

I like it but jesus that grip safety is annoying

Congrats! SA makes a solid gun!

You could have a memory bump grip safety installed. Can make a big difference for certain people’s grip.

db68d9ff3b7206fbb73574d7a8694375.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Congrats! SA makes a solid gun!

You could have a memory bump grip safety installed. Can make a big difference for certain people’s grip.

db68d9ff3b7206fbb73574d7a8694375.jpg
    My Ronin 45acp and my Rock Island 10mm both have that.
    I've never had a problem with grip safeties. Springfield XD have them and I shot thousands of rounds in my XD tactical 45acp. Don't have aa many rounds on the RIA or Ronin, but I've never had a problem with it.

What causes people to have problems with the grip safety?
    I'd like to learn more about this.
    I know everyone has different shapes and sizes of hands that can possibly play into a problem.
    For instance I dislike mouse guns, most compacts, and even some sub compacts because of the small grip area.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My Ronin 45acp and my Rock Island 10mm both have that.
    I've never had a problem with grip safeties. Springfield XD have them and I shot thousands of rounds in my XD tactical 45acp. Don't have aa many rounds on the RIA or Ronin, but I've never had a problem with it.

What causes people to have problems with the grip safety?
    I'd like to learn more about this.
    I know everyone has different shapes and sizes of hands that can possibly play into a problem.
    For instance I dislike mouse guns, most compacts, and even some sub compacts because of the small grip area.

I think it’s a combination of how the grip safety spring leg is adjusted too deep requiring near 100% travel to disengage and not enough front-to-back tension in the hand.

I guess? Lol

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    I think it’s a combination of how the grip safety spring leg is adjusted too deep requiring near 100% travel to disengage and not enough front-to-back tension in the hand.

I guess? Lol
    maybe I don't like Ronald Reagan or Cracker Barrel or Bank CDs enough, but I run a high modern grip where i ride the safety and top of the grip and the downward sweep of tang just pushes into the web of my hand

Is there just a plate you can put on the back of the gun to just delete the grip safety? Or a grip safety that I could just pin that has no tang?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      240.2 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    maybe I don't like Ronald Reagan or Cracker Barrel or Bank CDs enough, but I run a high modern grip where i ride the safety and top of the grip and the downward sweep of tang just pushes into the web of my hand

Is there just a plate you can put on the back of the gun to just delete the grip safety? Or a grip safety that I could just pin that has no tang?
    Probably should take another look at CDs these days. Brokered CDs are doing pretty good. But then so is Apple Savings. Just sayin'

On another note, could also drop a few grand and get something like this to drop that grip safety out of the equation, but it still has a tang on the back. https://wilsoncombat.com/handguns/double-stack/sfx9.html

sfx9_hero_catalog_01_01_1.jpg

There are some different more upswept beaver tail grip safeties, etc that you might be able to swap in.

Last edited:

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes. Many a grip safety has been rendered inoperative.

Consult a qualified 1911 ‘smith.

Seems like years ago it was the thing to do - not so much anymore.

Long ago - I knew a guy who wrapped his grip with grip tape. Umm??? Yea…
    Using rubber bands use to be a popular way of disabling a grip safety. It actually severed two purposes, deactivated the GS, and held the pistol firmly in the waste band if carrying Mexican. Michael Mann even used it in "Crime Story." Crime Story rubber bands.png

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

For the high grip you want to use, you would need a beavertail grip safety fitted to the gun and also a commander style hammer or your current hammer bobbed or aftermarket bobbed spur hammer.

Top Bottom