• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I picked up a RIA 1911 yesterday and am wanting to upgrade the sights on it. It has the "staked" front sight and was looking for a recomendation as to what some of you guys have used as an upgrade.

002-9.jpg

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    As I recall, these have a "Novak STYLE" sight system, but they are not truly Novak cut, for some reason. There is a manufacturer that makes sights specifically for these, but I can't recall the name. Someone will be along shortly with the name.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Ok thanks Eagle, Ill have to look into that. Hopfully someone will chime in with the name of them.

The picture of the pistol you posted does not have novak style sights it has GI type sights. If you want the novak style you can ship your slide to novak and they can install genuine novaks on them for a pretty fair price.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    The picture of the pistol you posted does not have novak style sights it has GI type sights. If you want the novak style you can ship your slide to novak and they can install genuine novaks on them for a pretty fair price.

Nice catch! Yeah, you dont have novak sights.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I had the same question about a 1911 GI model I had. Wanted to do some upgrades and have some new sights installed but realized for what I would spend on all the mods, I could buy a new (and probably better) gun for the same or just a little more money.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

Oh ok unsure of what they were called. Thanks:yesway:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I had the same question about a 1911 GI model I had. Wanted to do some upgrades and have some new sights installed but realized for what I would spend on all the mods, I could buy a new (and probably better) gun for the same or just a little more money.

I was wondering the same thing, your probably right.

If I cant find a stake on sight for the front or feel like taking on the job myself I may get some of that "Bright Sight" http://www.brightsights.com/index.shtml stuff and just use that. That would make a little bit of an improvement over the factory ones.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I was wondering the same thing, your probably right.

If I cant find a stake on sight for the front or feel like taking on the job myself I may get some of that "Bright Sight" Bright Sights High Visibility Gun Sight Paint stuff and just use that. That would make a little bit of an improvement over the factory ones.

Those are definitely dinky GI sights. If you are looking to keep costs down, then there are a number of aftermarket stake-on sights you can use as well as aftermarket hi-viz rear sights that don't require machining. Go to Brownells website and look around for something you like.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Those are definitely dinky GI sights. If you are looking to keep costs down, then there are a number of aftermarket stake-on sights you can use as well as aftermarket hi-viz rear sights that don't require machining. Go to Brownells website and look around for something you like.

Any that you recomend?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Frankly, you might be surprised how little "modern" sights get you in reality.

I have guns with Bomars, Fibre Optics, Novaks, Wide Notch Novaks, Gold Beads, 10-8 U notch tritium sights, 3 dots, straight eights, fixed sighted revolvers, GI 1911 sights like that...

Frankly the GI 1911 sights are just as easy to shoot in a fast / SD type of shooting than any of the other fancy sights. For me.

If I had it to do over, I would buy a GI 1911 from a high quality maker, and shoot the pee out of it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks drillsgt! Ill look into those. I may just for the time being practice with what I have although there just a little hard for me to see. Then may upgrade later on.

Top Bottom