• ...and so much more!
  • GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    If my body and a 5" 1911 would agree when it comes to carry, I'd have not sold / traded the two TRPs that I've been blessed to own.

TRP or Trophy will do you well, but I'd go for the TRP in case you decided to start carrying a 1911.

And, VERT is correct about the next stop on the 1911 train...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wow. A 1911 that functions without any work.

It's definitely noteworthy. We've both seen a lot of 1911s and I've seen plenty of customer guns, almost all of the boutique brands, the high end factory guns, and the cheapies choke at one time or another. The Springfield TRP is the only model I've seen consistently function of the dozens I've seen in action.

Surprised????

I am! Well, perhaps the term I used above is more appropriate: noteworthy.

Yep and apparently even made it through a TR course.

Is a TR course exceptionally hard on guns?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Is a TR course exceptionally hard on guns?

Have not done a TR course yet. I have heard a couple of their instructors comment on 1911s not making it through classes. I know they want you to drop the gun (not a big deal per se) and magazines all hit the ground. I would not expect Tennessee red clay to play well with 1911 magazines. Honestly the 1911 magazine is not as robust as a Glock magazine. That is why we recommend separate practice/range mags and carry mags. Which set of mags end up in the bag when packing for that 500 round pistol course?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Have not done a TR course yet. I have heard a couple of their instructors comment on 1911s not making it through classes. I know they want you to drop the gun (not a big deal per se) and magazines all hit the ground. I would not expect Tennessee red clay to play well with 1911 magazines. Honestly the 1911 magazine is not as robust as a Glock magazine. That is why we recommend separate practice/range mags and carry mags. Which set of mags end up in the bag when packing for that 500 round pistol course?

I use the same for all. I've dropped my 1911s in a variety of conditions from mud to sand to gravel, but that was a choice I made.

I've heard they fire a lot of rounds in those classes. I don't think I've ever broken the 1000 round mark in a 3-day class before, but I know I've gone over 750.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    The TR class I did was at Eagle Creek a few years back. Gravel range deck. I took 1100 rounds for the 2-day, shot almost all of them. Shay VanVlymen was the lead instructor, was a good class, very intense.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes. As rhino said, it is odd to see a 1911 make it through a class without problems. Especially in high round count or non standard classes.

I don't have trouble (very often) with mine, but in some cases it took some effort to get them reliable enough to meet my needs. Other people? I've seen some that worked great, but the numbers that have issues are higher than Glocks!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't have trouble (very often) with mine, but in some cases it took some effort to get them reliable enough to meet my needs. Other people? I've seen some that worked great, but the numbers that have issues are higher than Glocks!

personally, I've had much worse luck w/ glocks than 1911s. :dunno:

-rvb

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    How has this thread lasted this long without turning into a 1911 vs. Glock thread, and then devolving into the Glock vs. M&P vs. XD thread?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    How has this thread lasted this long without turning into a 1911 vs. Glock thread, and then devolving into the Glock vs. M&P vs. XD thread?

1911s were handed down from above, Glocks have no soul, M&Ps don't shoot straight and XDm are overpriced Croatian wannabes. That should get the discussion rolling.

I like Dodge trucks :rolleyes:

Dodge stinks, I drive a Ford.

Top Bottom