1911's everywhere! Which one did you choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    For around $550 you can get a Taurus PT1911 AR. Nice running gun and has all the bells and whistles that the more expensive have. I love mine.

DSCN1133.jpg

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    As always, there are differences in how a given 1911 "feels". Handle as many as you can, then start narrowing your search. I'm about 1.25 hrs northwest of you. If you want to try several different ones, just holler.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I saved up and bought a Kimber Pro CDP II. I tried to shoot as many 1911's as I could borrow from friends, rent, etc before I decided to go with a Kimber. It's run good through about 700 rounds - haven't experienced any failures or trouble from it. Got a great deal on it and it's been worth all the time it took me to save up for it.

DSCN0332.jpg

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What's your budget? Save up and order a Wilson or Baer exactly how you want it. It will be a gun you can enjoy for the rest of your life and pass on to the next generation, you'll never look back.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I absolutely LOVE my Kimbers. I know they are expensive, but you get what you pay for. The only time I've had issues with a stove pipe or jam is when I've obtained some reload ammo that in retrospect I should not have been using. If you are wanting a 9mm, Kimber does make the Aegis. I hope you consider it before making your decision.

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    Fusion

They use high end parts, and assemble how you want. Big into customization. I love mine even though it is very tight and I have to lube her up nice when Im shooting... I was going to go w a wilson if not fusion because they have a lifetime warranty that follows the gun. Doesnt get better than that. Bob Serva from Fusion will respond to you daily via email w questions/concerns and is very easy to deal w. I have heard good things about detonics too but dont know anyone w one. Good luck ---1911's are an addiction.....

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    They use high end parts, and assemble how you want. Big into customization. I love mine even though it is very tight and I have to lube her up nice when Im shooting... I was going to go w a wilson if not fusion because they have a lifetime warranty that follows the gun. Doesnt get better than that. Bob Serva from Fusion will respond to you daily via email w questions/concerns and is very easy to deal w. I have heard good things about detonics too but dont know anyone w one. Good luck ---1911's are an addiction.....

+1. And Bob is fantastic to deal with.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I like Colts.

I have a

colt_21st_century_wiley_clapp_commander_1911_1803.jpg

21st Century Commander <my carry gun>

and a

handgun-pistol-colt-o8011xse-combat-elite-45-wd2tn.jpg

Colt Combat Elite w/ 10-8 sights & Grips, flat trigger, SA Magwell as a competition gun.

I also like STIs, and own a STI Sentry in 9mm.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Which one???

Why limit yourself to just one???

I have 1911's from;
    Remington Rand (WWII)
    Colt
    Wilson Combat
    STI
    Ed Brown
    Les Bare
    Springfield
    Para Ordnance
    Kimber

I like them ALL! I have everything from the full size government model, to the commander, to the professional, and down to the officer’s size. They all fit a different itch. Some are high capacity, some are alloy framed, and some are just good all around carry guns.

Once you decide on what the gun will be used for you can somewhat narrow your search down but then if you’re like me, one will just not be enough.

sailinon

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    I bought a used 1911 in 1995, it was built in the early 1980's a Colt Combat Elite. Bought it because I knew there would always be spares for it. It's been fixed a few times since then but is still my favorite gun.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    Below cost

I was offered one below dealer cost because I'm a regular customer and .45s haven't been selling as well because of ammo prices (so I was told).

attachment.php

Kimber Stainless Target II. I'm not a Kimber fan boy but this is a great gun. I will probably pick up a few more 1911s. I have no brand loyalty.
    I got into this one because at the price point I was at, if it was a mistake I wouldn't get hurt to bad. Funny thing is, I have never parted with a firearm once I have acquired one.

Gun Daddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I've been looking to get a handgun (originally it was for concealed carry personal protection, but my priority has shifted some). I see all kinds of companies have some 1911 variant. So I have some questions.

Will most/all 1911 accessories work with most/all 1911 variants regardless of who actually made it? Such as holsters, grips, sights, magazines, etc.

Which company did you (or would you) buy from and why? Kimber seems to be popular, but expensive.

I'm also leaning towards a 9mm version just to save a little on ammo, so keep that in mind.

As you know 1911's tend to look the same but when it comes to quality they are not. I have always liked Springfield Armory because you get a good quality 1911 for a reasonable price right out of the box. They are always known to be dependable and if you want to sell it, you will get your money out of it. Springfield makes the range officer in a 9mm which is a nice alternative if you want to shoot a lot and spend less on amo. Springfield Armory also has been known to have great customer service (again just my opinion) and they have a great shop should you want to have some work done on your gun. Kimber makes a fine gun; however, I have never had good experience with their customer service when dealing with them. I also don't like the fact that they force dealers to stock a bunch of their product in order to buy them for a reasonable price. (not that that has anything to do with your question).

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    As you know 1911's tend to look the same but when it comes to quality they are not. I have always liked Springfield Armory because you get a good quality 1911 for a reasonable price right out of the box. They are always known to be dependable and if you want to sell it, you will get your money out of it. Springfield makes the range officer in a 9mm which is a nice alternative if you want to shoot a lot and spend less on amo. Springfield Armory also has been known to have great customer service (again just my opinion) and they have a great shop should you want to have some work done on your gun. Kimber makes a fine gun; however, I have never had good experience with their customer service when dealing with them. I also don't like the fact that they force dealers to stock a bunch of their product in order to buy them for a reasonable price. (not that that has anything to do with your question).

It's commendable that you took the time to answer, but make sure you check the dates on posts. The OP posted that back in April of 2011. Chances are he's made his decision already... :):

Top Bottom