• Best bang for the $$$$??? 1911's

• Total voters

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The Kimber Custom at less than $800 has the bells and whistles on it.
    Smooth as silk, 5K rounds plus without a glitch, and accurate.
    I've had 2 RIAs and both good guns but to get what I want it takes more $ and work on the RIA. I get what I want out of the Kimber for the same $ out of the box and it's a much better made 1911.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette

I have been very happy with my series 70 gold cup national match. It's got a beautiful finish, it's the most accurate handgun I have owned thus far and it couldn't be any more reliable. With everyone fighting over the Wilsons and Kimbers, the higher end colts can be a real bargain. Mine was well under a grand used. My vote is for colt.:patriot:

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Value Why wasn't Ruger included in the poll ? All the above 1911 are great. But you get real value with the SR1911 and its kills beer cans like any of the others and you save some coins for a second handgun.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    When I finally get another 1911 (and I will) It'll likely be a Baer or Dan Wesson. IMO, 1500-1800 is the sweet spot, price wise. For that amount, I get all the stuff I want: American forged frame, front strap checkering, non-MIM guts, and superb fit and finish.

Anything less, and I'm missing something (the TRP would be PERFECT at 1300 or so, but the whole forged by Imbel in Brazil just bugs me a bit)

Anything more, and I'm really just paying for a name, it seems.

This. Your poll is most likely going to turn into "What cheap/er 1911 do you own and why." People are going to vote for their own gun, regardless of the original question. Most likely your results will be skewed by the sheer number of the "cheaper" 1911 models. I guess it depends what kind of budget you are working with, but I'm with Rob. For $1500 or less, you can have a sweet shooting 1911 that is quality built.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    People are going to vote for their own gun

Well, you don't really have personal experience info about a gun you haven't owned.
    That being said, I own six and voted for the one that was hands down the best bang for the buck, which is what I thought the OP was asking for.
    Economy/budget and all that...

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I voted SA. I do own two, but that isnt the reason I would say its the better choice. Some people would be perfectly happy with the RI, or JetGirl with her ATI. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with either of them, just not what I was looking for in a 1911. For me, Springfield Armory is the least expensive 1911 that has a forged frame and a decent reputation. They are easy to upgrade, and when I was looking for my first 1911, the RI 1911s were not exactly at the top of many gunsmith's list of 1911s to work on. I know that reputation has changed, but they still lack the forged frame I want in my 1911.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I only own one 1911 and it's a basic Colt series 80 for under $700.00 and for an entry level 1911 its hard to beat. But since I will probably only own one I had to choose the original.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    In regards to my OP, I know everybody is operating on a different budget. So, simply saying "this $3000 gun is the best" isn't really the intent. I'm merely referencing what you get (quality, reliability, the little things like ambi-safeties if preferred, etc) weighed against the cost. For example, a couple years ago you could buy the RI's for around $400, BUT you could also get the Taurus PT1911 for around the same, which has Ambi-safeties, beavertail, etc,etc for the same price and is about equally reliable. Hence, "best bang for the buck." There are several manufacturers which I didn't include and should have but the poll only allowed me to offer 10. I simply couldn't think of all the "more economic" brands at the time (ie Taurus, Ruger, etc.)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I personally have only owned SA's and Colts, so I can really only comment on the two (other than experience with other people's guns, shopping, etc.) From what I can tell, I think you get a lot more for your money with a SA vs say...a Kimber. But, that's my opinion and haven't owned a Kimber, just going from shopping around looking at them. Highly subjective thread, I know, but a good reference point for someone who doesn't have a lot of money to spend and wants to get into a first 1911.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    When I finally get another 1911 (and I will) It'll likely be a Baer or Dan Wesson. IMO, 1500-1800 is the sweet spot, price wise. For that amount, I get all the stuff I want: American forged frame, front strap checkering, non-MIM guts, and superb fit and finish.

Anything less, and I'm missing something (the TRP would be PERFECT at 1300 or so, but the whole forged by Imbel in Brazil just bugs me a bit)

Don't worry about Brazil frames they are fine, TRP's are great guns. The Dan Wessons are a great value but their frames are made overseas as well by a Korean manufacturer. They are finish machined in the US hence they can be called US manufactured. Still great guns though.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I think the 3,000.00 1911 is a status symbol more than anything else. There's a bunch of great shooting 1911s availavle at 1200.00 or less. I saw a couple Ed
    Brown pieces at a Indy shop for over 6,000.00.

Thanks The format only allows for 10 selection. There's other 1911 that are real value packages.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You asked best bang for the buck.

You can buy better 1911's but you cant buy a better 1911 for the money than a RIA.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I have "Owned" one 1911 (handled and shot many)
    A Regent R200S. Bought 2 1/2 months ago. Over 1K downrange so far with absolutely ZERO issues. Has eaten every type of ammo ive given it. Spot on accurate too. Bells and whistles included adjustable skeleton trigger, ambi safety, large beaver tail, competition sights, and Hogue Grips. Under $600 from Bradis. (Thanks again, Mark)

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    I have a springfield range officer that i truly love and would recommend to anyone. It feels great and the adjustable sights help alot

redhead

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Huge fan of the Colt 70 Series, but honestly the Les Baer Premier II is a fantastic gun. Yes expensive but great gun.

Top Bottom