• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I bought an older Chevy Silverado truck to use for some projects. It had a few minor issues. I have been successful in fixing all of them except for 1. The passengers side exterior door handle does not open the door. I assumed the red clip that connects the linkage to the handle was probably missing or broken, so I ordered a new handle. I replaced it, and it worked three times, then the linkage popped off again. I put it back in, and it worked a couple of times then the linkage popped off again. The linkage doesn't seem bent. When I pull the linkage with my hand it easily opens the door. What am I missing? Why won't the linkage stay on? Any ideas for a permanent fix?

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    plastic clip on backwards or on wrong part on linkage maybe? Plastic gommet warn out? been a while since I was in one of those. Doors always suck. Did you compare to driver side?

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I did compare the drivers side. I quadruple checked and everything is being put together as it should be. I tried 3 different clips. The rod can be adjusted up or down by about an inch and a half by threading it in or out of the lock mechanism. I tried it at about 20 different points, so I don't think it is the adjustment. The rod does not seem to be bent. I guess I'm at a loss as far as getting it to work as designed. I'm thinking about making a modification or two to see if I can do a better job than the GM engineers.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    99 was a break off year and with a plastic clip I'm going to assume you have a pull out handle like this

https://www.am-autoparts.com/products/exterior-door-handles/AM-37373801.html

The rod end goes in the hole and the clip snaps on the rod. The adjustment you are referring to on the latch is a snap clip. Press the "lever" in the middle of the clip and pull on the little flange and the clip will open. With the handle relaxed and the rod just hanging (no pressure anywhere) place the rod in clip and snap shut. Make sure the clip is on the inside of handle arm as shown in the picture.

Top Bottom