• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeepjester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    I know this is probably a dumb question but I am new to this. What kind of bag would be a good starting point for a BOB.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    This may be a dumb answer, depends on how much weight YOU can carry, or want to carry, OR how far YOU have to carry it ... anything from a "butt" pack, to a large ruck frame, and pack. :dunno:

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    My budget is tight and extra money goes to ammo. I am using a tool bag that is about 2 feet long and 2 feet deep. It's under the back seat of my truck and fits enough for me to get home or a good start to bug out. It's not the best set up but holds a lot and doesn't take up a lot of room.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    It is a point A to point B tool

Figure out what you really need to get from A to B, then buy the bag

You buy a big bag you will fill it with stuff you may not need

:twocents:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have GI issue ALICE packs, look around and you can get one with a frame for under 50 is for a large. I have a medium and a large and the medium does not hold nearly as much.

My medium and been all over the country and drug through the woods for years with no issues at all. At the very least they are cheap starter bags.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I know this is probably a dumb question but I am new to this. What kind of bag would be a good starting point for a BOB.

I would suggest a trash bag. Low key and everyone else will think its a bag of trash. Plus if the SHTF you can suffocate yourself with it once you have lost all hope and your out of ammo.

Insert purple where applicable. Welcome to :ingo:

zacdudek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Grabill IN
    Buy your stuff first, then find the bag it fits into. As stated above by some wise ingoers. If you get something first you'll just fill it, it may be to big, or even too small. I'd also suggest dedicating some of your ammo dollars to the necessities to put in your BOB. i.e. water, fire, food, shelter, and clothing. Carrying around 2000 Rounds of ammo imo isn't going to help you survive for a SUPER long time, carrying around equipment that will help you self sustain for a while WILL.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a get home bag. It has my FAK and some other stuff in it. I picked up a hunting type of backpack with a water bladder pouch. It's camo. I like it.

I picked it up on clearance at wally world last year for like 8 bucks. It's pretty durable, and for 12 bucks was hard to pass up.

My kit is mostly for medicine and first aid. I have enough ammo around if I need it, and I also have other things fairly close if I need to bug out, will be hard with a 2 and 4 year old; so we are planning on bugging in until we have to leave.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have four teenagers in my house, so I have a limitless supply of school/sports type bags to choose from, I have one in my truck that has the Louisville slugger logo on it, I really like it, it seems to be durable, and is comfortable when fully loaded. It's not a huge bag, but big enough to fit extra winter clothes and a few other emergency items in.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I have four teenagers in my house, so I have a limitless supply of school/sports type bags to choose from, I have one in my truck that has the Louisville slugger logo on it, I really like it, it seems to be durable, and is comfortable when fully loaded. It's not a huge bag, but big enough to fit extra winter clothes and a few other emergency items in.

Good point on the cloths

Time to add and remove things for the season that is coming

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Good point on the cloths

Time to add and remove things for the season that is coming
    I work inside, so even on the coldest of days, I usually just wear long pants and a t-shirt. I carry long underware, extra socks, and some gloves and mittens in the winter. In the summer, I pull that stuff and keep a light long sleeved shirt, and BDU pants, as I'm usually wearing shorts in warmer temps. :yesway:

Top Bottom