1st time CC / new M&P Shield - IWB holster experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fbongo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    I have a new M&P Shield on the way in 9mm and plan on using this as my CC gun, and would like to hear your opinions on IWB holsters for it. Plan on carrying in the 3-4 position. I am a decent sized guy - 6'1" 220+ ; also would like some options for the wife to carry it as well.

Anything you had and hated? Anything you loved?

I like the idea of being able to have the option of tucking a shirt around it.

Thanks!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think two that I would recommend looking into would be:

Crossbreed Holsters
    Old Faithful Holsters

These two are about the same, except with Old Faithful you can save a little money by buying the "Quick Assemble Kit". They have all the holes cut in everything, you just have to assemble the holster yourself.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Talk to Andrew Henry (amhenry on INGO). He runs Henry Holsters out of Bloomington. I bought my Shield from him with one of his custom holsters and mag carriers (single or double) that are very high quality and well-designed. He can custom make you various things. Also his prices aren't any higher than any of the mass produced stuff. Anything from straight kydex (actually he uses Boltaron, which is sturdier than kydex), or he has a unique take on the leather/kydex hybrid holsters that give you a full kydex holster with a leather backing (also different kinds of cuts on the leather). So you get great retention and comfort and not just leather with a small kydex slot for the gun like Crossbreed and others offer. Also has various options for how to attach the holster to your pants/belt (clips, loops etc). He can make holsters and mag carriers tuckable if you want, which you expressed interest in. Check out Henry Holsters on Facebook for pictures of his stuff. Very highly recommended. Also has a lifetime warranty. You break it, he'll replace it free of charge for life. Great guy.

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    My (mostly) EDC is a Beretta Nano (9mm) which is very similar in size to your Shield. For me, IWB at 3:00 doesn't work. The gun against my hip is too painful. I only carry at 3:00 OWB. I have a Springfield XDs that is most other (not quite as much) EDC. It's a bit larger and more angular than the Nano and so it hurts IWB.

I also don't like 4:00 IWB because that hurts my back. By the end of the day, I get a spasm. So I carry my Nano IWB at about 2:00 and that works great for me. I'm using a DeSantis IWB Pocket-Tuk which I like a lot:

image_mini

You may have to experiment with a few positions and different holsters before you find one that works for you. #1 rule, if it HURTS, you won't keep doing it for long. So find a carry option that is comfortable.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Talk to Andrew Henry (amhenry on INGO). He runs Henry Holsters out of Bloomington. I bought my Shield from him and he makes custom holsters and mag carriers that are very high quality and well-designed. He can custom make you various things. He has a unique take on the leather/kydex hybrid holsters that give you a full kydex holster with a leather backing. So you get great retention and comfort and not just leather with a small kydex slot for the gun. Also has various options for how to attach the holster to your pants/belt. Check out Henry Holsters on Facebook for pictures of his stuff. Highly recommended.

Plus he's a heck of a nice guy.

Also look into Mills Tactical and Hooch Holsters. Both have an INGO presence, but I don't know how active MT is. Hooch has their own sub-forum + a brand new website you can google up.

The 800lb gorilla in the Kydex game is Raven Concealment. I also personally highly recommend them - though their Phantom holsters are better suited to OWB concealment than IWB. (Can get uncomfortable)

-J-

fbongo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Any opinion on 1 clip vs. 2 if I am going to tuck? Seen a couple of places that the two clips can be an issue when trying to keep the shirt smooth or when pulling it out of the way when needed.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have a desantis IWB holster for mine that works really well. Full disclosure though, I don't carry my shield very much. Only places that I must CC.

Hooch holsters are awesome. He made me one for my G19 that's a low rise and I really like it. He makes holsters for the shield as well. IWB or OWB as well as mag holders.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Foxx holster. They are a Crossbreed style. They are cheaper, and no wait time. I've only been using it for approximately 4 months, but it's very comfortable and I'm very pleased.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think two that I would recommend looking into would be:

Crossbreed Holsters
    Old Faithful Holsters

These two are about the same, except with Old Faithful you can save a little money by buying the "Quick Assemble Kit". They have all the holes cut in everything, you just have to assemble the holster yourself.

With Old Faithful, you can save even more money by molding it yourself....if you want to. I would suggest watching their videos before deciding if you are interested. That's what I did. It seems to work well with my M&P 9c.

picture.php

picture.php

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I have a Crossbreed for my SR9c and I love it.
    I ordered a BravoConcealment RTT for my CZ75, so I could OC or CC....still patiently waiting.
    I would suggest you decide on a holster and order promptly. Any of the larger companies have a long waiting list which is about 4-6 weeks.

fbongo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Here is where I am leaning...I like the idea of being able to adjust the angle. Can't decide between a single or dual clip set up. I want to try the Kydex to start. Can't get my head around not having it clipped to the belt with the Remora style although there are a lot of folks that like them.

Top choice...
    Foxx holster - Good prices and delivery times - may get both a Hybrid and Little Fox

Hooch Holsters – Like the custom idea, will contact after I get used to CC and learn exactly what I want out of a holster

Runners up in no particular order...
    RKBA hybrid
    pjholster
    DeSantis IWB Pocket-Tuk

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have found with a holster that comes up like that it is very difficult to unholster your gun quickly b/c you can't get your hand around it. Exactly why I cut the leather on my Kholster. Any of you guys have problems with that type of holster too?

That's the least of the issues with those holsters...

It looks like someone took half a gun-rug and bolted the cheapest Fobus knock-off plastic holster they could and then put a cheap belt clip on it. :n00b:

And, in all honesty, THAT holster is probably the best one. The ones wit the little sleeve of "ace bandage" type material to secure the gun? :n00b::n00b: Yeah, there's trigger protection in THAT. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom