• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I noticed that many of the top ranking states have the most permissive gun laws. Makes me wonder how many of those gun deaths are the result of legal self defence. In states like Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, and California, the majority of the gun deaths are directly related to illegal activity. While I don't have exact figures, I would say that it is much different in permissable states that allow armed self defence.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Interesting to say the least. Outside of the very vague conditions of the "permissiveness", it does show a correlation in some aspects. I would like to see their EXACT system for determining "permissiveness" before trying to draw any correlation.

Does show one thing: even though the least permissive states are at the bottom, their anti gun laws do not stop gun deaths from happening. Also, define gun deaths? Suicides? Accidents? I am going to draw some fire for saying this but due to human nature: More people having guns, statistically, more accidents. Less guns, less accidents, but I would like to see the gun MURDER (and not defense) rates for those low gun death areas.

Knee jerk reaction is to scream that it isn't journalism because we don't agree with it. We may not agree with it, nor maybe the facts aren't correct. BUT, journalism is all about the person giving it. I knew the Daily Beast was pretty liberal on the outset... :( They have GREAT reporting, but they always put a slant on ANYTHING.

Gunruner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NW Indiana
    These figures tells almost nothing. Do these statistics cover criminal use, police shootings, civilian legal self-defense, etc. You can make statistics say what every you want.

It is proven that 86.3% of all statistics are made up!:D

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    things like this never tell you the whole story, only the part that they want you to hear. i just find it funny how they dont show how they came up with the figures. Most of these gun deaths are probably from self-defense, not murder.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Interesting to say the least. Outside of the very vague conditions of the "permissiveness", it does show a correlation in some aspects. I would like to see their EXACT system for determining "permissiveness" before trying to draw any correlation.

Does show one thing: even though the least permissive states are at the bottom, their anti gun laws do not stop gun deaths from happening. Also, define gun deaths? Suicides? Accidents? I am going to draw some fire for saying this but due to human nature: More people having guns, statistically, more accidents. Less guns, less accidents, but I would like to see the gun MURDER (and not defense) rates for those low gun death areas.

Knee jerk reaction is to scream that it isn't journalism because we don't agree with it. We may not agree with it, nor maybe the facts aren't correct. BUT, journalism is all about the person giving it. I knew the Daily Beast was pretty liberal on the outset... :( They have GREAT reporting, but they always put a slant on ANYTHING.

I know Indiana and Pennsylvania to have almost identical gun laws. PA is more permissive in some respects with legal open carry without a license. How is their "permissiveness" ranking so different?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Interesting! It has already been pointed that the score or ranking for "permissiveness" is rather vague. I would consider this to be a bad correlation to use a quantitative measurement such as gun deaths per capita to a qualitative measurement such as permissiveness of gun laws. So, is the irony of the social sciences.

Now lets for a minute assume that there is a correlation here. I would assume that the gun deaths per capita is accurate or at the very least came from a citable sources. I am also going to assume this includes all death attributed to gun shots (suicide, violent crime, defensive shootings, gang violence, etc.) Now lets look at one of these, Suicide. Here is one place that stricter gun laws may have an affect. Basically the fewer guns that are in the community then the fewer suicides that will be carried out with guns. Notice I did not say that fewer guns will result in less suicide. That is because if a person does not use a firearm, they will find another method. (hanging, carbon monoxide, pills, knives, you get the point) So, why use a gun to commet suicide? For the same reason we carry a firearm for self defense, it is the most effective tool for the job. It stands to reason that a greater percentage of suicides attributed to guns are successful when compared to other methods. Also some of those methods could be ruled "accidental" while it is hard to mistake a bullet wound for anything other then what it is.

What I want to see is the attempted suicide rate per capita or the burgalry rate per capita or the murder per capita or drug convictions per capita. Might also be interesting to compare rural areas of IL to rural areas of IN for example.

Guns don't cause violence people! But unfortunately in the wrong hands they can be used in a violent manner. They are also our most affective tool and deterent to those would otherwise harm us.

Last edited:

Canes173

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Crown Point
    If you look up FBI crime stats, a large part of handgun deaths are among "socio-economic disadvantaged areas" (aka the hood) and involve people who aren't old enough to own legal handguns........ I'm sure you are all shocked like I was! Take away the suicides and gang / drug related murders and how bad is gun violence? Not that bad considering they (gov) think there are roughly 80 million gun owners.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It really doesn't matter if the author made up figures or not, gun grabbers will swallow it hook line and sinker. Just look at how much other BS easily impressionable people buy into every second of every day.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    1. We don't know the ranking system for "permissiveness".

2. We assume in more permissive states more guns are available and owned. WHich means of course more TOTAL deaths are occurring, including legal self defense, accidents, suicides, and murders. Would you not be surprised to find out that the more cars are owned/operated the higher number of vehicle related fatalities exist. SHOCKING

3. California is the least "permissive" state yet doesn't have the lowest ratio. So there are other factors at play here.

4. I love when statistics are on my side, as they always are, because they are statistics.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I noticed that many of the top ranking states have the most permissive gun laws. Makes me wonder how many of those gun deaths are the result of legal self defence. In states like Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, and California, the majority of the gun deaths are directly related to illegal activity. While I don't have exact figures, I would say that it is much different in permissable states that allow armed self defence.

That was my first thought, and I am almost certain that is the case. Complete BS.

What a anti-American worthless piece of liberal journalism, if you can call it journalism. If it were printed, I wouldnt use it to wipe my butt...

INGunGuy

I would, then I would mail it back.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I got my calculator out and did some figuring on their numbers. Alaska was ranked number 3. When I took the number of shooting deaths per 100,000 and multiplied by the total population, I came up with 123 shooting deaths. Indiana's number was 636. California's number was 3300. If these numbers are even accurate, it shows that shooting deaths are less than 1% of the total population. BTW, I rounded my population figures off. Alaska is approximately 700,000, Indiana 6,000,000 and California 37,000,000.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Not very good editing or proofing here:

#1, Mississippi Gun deaths per 100,000: 18.3 Permissive gun laws: 4th out of 50
    #2, Arizona Gun deaths per 100,000: 15 Permissive gun laws: 1st out of 50
    #3, Alaska Gun deaths per 100,000: 17.6 Permissive gun laws: 11th out of 50
    #4, Arkansas Gun deaths per 100,000: 15.1 Permissive gun laws: 7th out of 50

I may not be a very smart man, but I know 15 is lower than 17 and 15.1 ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Given the complexities involved in gun regulation and violence, The Daily Beast sought to determine which states are the most dangerous when it comes to firearms. Our methodology was simple: Rather than measure the number of guns, we measured the measure of gun death per capita in each state, using the most recent data available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That counted for 75 percent of the ranking. The other 25 percent was derived from the Legal Community Against Violence's state-by-state comparison of firearm laws, which ranks all 50 states by their relatively severity, incorporating everything from policies on mental-health background checks to whether loaded guns are allowed in bars.

This is the criteria that was used to place the rankings...

Really?! :dunno:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not very good editing or proofing here:

#1, Mississippi Gun deaths per 100,000: 18.3 Permissive gun laws: 4th out of 50
    #2, Arizona Gun deaths per 100,000: 15 Permissive gun laws: 1st out of 50
    #3, Alaska Gun deaths per 100,000: 17.6 Permissive gun laws: 11th out of 50
    #4, Arkansas Gun deaths per 100,000: 15.1 Permissive gun laws: 7th out of 50

I may not be a very smart man, but I know 15 is lower than 17 and 15.1 ;)

They used some type of matrix combining death rate and permissiveness. Problem is there is probably not any significant difference between 15 and 17. You actually have to get pretty far down the list before there is any real difference in gun deaths. If I was into spinning figures, I would argue this study shows that gun laws have no affect on gun deaths. Remember marketing is all about the story you tell.

Top Bottom