• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    My brother in law is in the market for a 20 gage auto loader . Looking for a quality gun that can be used for hunting without worry of getting scratched up . So prefer a synthetic stock and something that shoots 3'' shells .
    What does INGO think , just get a 1187 and call it a day or are there better options . Budget is about $800

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    For the given budget, I am sure there is several options. I have a TriStar Viper youth model 20 ga in camo. I bought it for my wife and stepson to use for turkey hunting. A couple of years ago, I put a cantilever mount and scope on it for deer hunting. In order to leave the scope mounted, I ended up buying another barrel for shooting clays. So far, I have no complaints with the gun. Customer service has been great too.

https://www.tristararms.com/products/semi-automatic-shotguns/viper-g2-series/

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    When I hunted with a 20g I had a wood stock Remy 1100. Now I have a 12g synthetic 1187. Either way you're good to go and under budget.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I helped a friend shop for a 20 ga auto loader this past week. Walked into Indy Gun Club then around a rack and there was a Benelli 20 ga for under $900 in mint condition. My buddy picked it up, shouldered it and said: That’s it! He bought it. We were going out Chukar hunting on a preserve over the weekend and he chose to use the Benelli over his Browning O/U 20 ga. Wow! Was my friend’s reaction. He plastered six birds with six shots using the gun for the first time. Needless to say, look at the Benelli.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You might ask your BIL to consider if a 12ga with reduced loads might be a more versatile option. Lots of good models in 12ga are much harder to find in 20ga.

I'm really starting to appreciate the logic of "you can always go lighter in a given caliber, but you can't go bigger."

And many ammo manufacturers are now offering reduced recoil 12ga loads for many purposes. And most semi autos will still cycle them reliably.
    IMO, the compelling case for 20ga is when you want a smaller lighter gun. If you can handle the bigger gun, there's not much reason to stay with the smaller bore size. (note how many youth models are 20ga).

Anyway, it's something perhaps to consider.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The Franchi affinity can be had in your price range. I waterfowl hunt with one in 12 ga, and like it pretty well. Im not a shotgun expert, but I don't know if I have ever seen a bad word about them on forums.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    You might ask your BIL to consider if a 12ga with reduced loads might be a more versatile option. Lots of good models in 12ga are much harder to find in 20ga.

I'm really starting to appreciate the logic of "you can always go lighter in a given caliber, but you can't go bigger."

And many ammo manufacturers are now offering reduced recoil 12ga loads for many purposes. And most semi autos will still cycle them reliably.
    IMO, the compelling case for 20ga is when you want a smaller lighter gun. If you can handle the bigger gun, there's not much reason to stay with the smaller bore size. (note how many youth models are 20ga).

Anyway, it's something perhaps to consider.

He definitely wants a 20 . We do a lot of rabbit hunting without dogs , in some pretty rough areas . A nice light , easy to maneuver gun is a must . Our group pretty much all use 20's except for son , he uses a 28 .

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I helped a friend shop for a 20 ga auto loader this past week. Walked into Indy Gun Club then around a rack and there was a Benelli 20 ga for under $900 in mint condition. My buddy picked it up, shouldered it and said: That’s it! He bought it. We were going out Chukar hunting on a preserve over the weekend and he chose to use the Benelli over his Browning O/U 20 ga. Wow! Was my friend’s reaction. He plastered six birds with six shots using the gun for the first time. Needless to say, look at the Benelli.

Benelli is top on the list if we can find one in his price range ! If you run across another one , let me know . HaHa

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Benelli is top on the list if we can find one in his price range ! If you run across another one , let me know . HaHa

I've been lusting for a Benelli since the late 90s. I should have bought one when they were half the price they are now.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I have a 20ga Tristar Viper G2 synthetic stock. It has been used two years in the field. Lightweight and holds up well. 3" shells 4+1 and has never failed to fire. I hike with it and mounts well for my average frame. I used it for six months shooting skeet, shot my first straight with it. You should have enough money left to by a few flats of shells too. Good luck with your search.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I absolutely love 20ga. I stepped down from 12ga about 5 years ago. It's a pleasure and should have done it sooner.

I had a Benellie inertia gun. Worst gun I ever bought. Couldn't hit anything with it and I've never been kicked so hard by a shotgun of any kind. Lucky I got a grand back out of it and moved back to a cheap pump gun.

As far as auto loaders go I got my eyes open for a Browning Gold Hunter. Barrowed one recently and loved how soft it shot and I couldn't miss with it. Shame the fella wouldn't sell it to me. Really disappointed. I hit him up again and he told me he traded it for something he didn't even remember. Dirty SOB!

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Big fan of the Beretta AL-390 if you can find a used one. 391's are almost the same.

Never had a malfunction and super soft shooting guns.

Top Bottom