• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Some manufacturers made various firearms for retail companies during most of the 20th century. Savage/Stevens and Iver Johnson are two of the most common makers of single-shot shotguns that carry the brand names of different hardware stores all around the country.

If you owned a hardware store chain, and wanted your brand on a line of guns, they could do it for you.

A picture of your 20 gauge might help identify the basic make and model.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    You might check with Numrich Arms at e-Gunparts.com as they have a huge cross-reference of gun manufacturers. This ones not listed in the catalog but if you e-mail them they might help you. I suspect this is foreign made.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    ILoveMyJeep...looks like you've got your PM function turned off, so I'll just answer your question here.
    This is what goes in my home defense shotgun;

BH_FED%20F2072B.jpg

172224.jpg

I was trying to find that explanatory chart, and I was pretty certain it was Chuck Hawks...but I guess not! Because I can't find it! I'll dig around a little more.
    Meanwhile...let me know if you think this stuff ^ will suit you and if so, I'll make sure to get some in. :yesway:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Without checking I'd assume that's a 2 +3/4 inch chamber. If it's British it might be 2+1/2 inch.
    Better have a gunsmith look at if you're not positive. You might get a 3 inch it the chamber
    as there has to be space for the crimp to open, but not the crimp on that too long of shell.
    Pressures on an old shotgun could be too much.

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Without checking I'd assume that's a 2 +3/4 inch chamber. If it's British it might be 2+1/2 inch.
    Better have a gunsmith look at if you're not positive. You might get a 3 inch it the chamber
    as there has to be space for the crimp to open, but not the crimp on that too long of shell.
    Pressures on an old shotgun could be too much.

Thankyou ! How can I tell if it is 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 ? lol
    It did shoot 2 3/4 just fine. Not likely to use 3 inch anyway. :-)

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    OK. Got my curiosity going, looked up Foster -Thornburg. Seems it died in late 40s
    3" magnum born in early 50s... still don't know who made your gun. A British gun would have British
    proofmarks.(Google maybe). Personally I'd put 2+3/4 low brass in it and tie it to the bench
    and shoot it with a rope...but that's not the best way to check. Find a old gunsmith, they should
    be able to check it. Seriously ...don't use the rope trick.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Thankyou Jetgirl. I have since edited my PM ! Thankyou for your input, and it was very nice meeting you. What a great place.....almost like work and play at the same time!

Thanks! Hey, by the way...I went ahead and ordered a couple boxes of them. If you don't want any, let me know and I'll take them myself. I'll let you know when they arrive if you want one (or both)...I can always order in more. :yesway:

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks! Hey, by the way...I went ahead and ordered a couple boxes of them. If you don't want any, let me know and I'll take them myself. I'll let you know when they arrive if you want one (or both)...I can always order in more. :yesway:

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!! for ordering it for me ( I will take both boxes if thats ok with you) and the link as well. It was very well written and very informative.

btw ./..which 20 gauge do you have?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!! for ordering it for me ( I will take both boxes if thats ok with you)
    I'll let you know when they come in! I can either PM you here when I get home, or if you PM me your phone number I'll call you from the store when they arrive.

btw ./..which 20 gauge do you have?
    I've got the Remington 870 with an extended mag tube.

JetsBet.jpg

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    OK. Got my curiosity going, looked up Foster -Thornburg. Seems it died in late 40s
    3" magnum born in early 50s... still don't know who made your gun. A British gun would have British
    proofmarks.(Google maybe). Personally I'd put 2+3/4 low brass in it and tie it to the bench
    and shoot it with a rope...but that's not the best way to check. Find a old gunsmith, they should
    be able to check it. Seriously ...don't use the rope trick.

Drat ...and the rope sounded like such fun.! Actually the 2 3/4 shot just fine. I am trying to get a couple pictures of it mainly for my records. But a photographer I am not. :) Thanks for the info and the dates tho. That the 3 inch cartridges didn't come in till 1950 and my old 410 says 3 inch on the side helps with dating it a bit. Thankyou!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dorjan jackson
    Top Bottom