• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I would definately go with a 20 or even a 410, 12ga loaded with Anything is going to kick alot for that small of a person and you do not want her to be scared of it. Mossberg's are great and TSG - Tactical shotgunner, a forum supporter usually has a maverick that is also of good quality (I hear) and are Very budget friendly. They also happen to have a pink 410 in stock as well... Patti is really easy to talk to and very informative, I'd look her up on here in the forum supporter section.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Shoot both and let her decide. Somehow, I think you'll end up with a 20g. Either will be terribly effective against an intruder and a far better choice than a rifle cartridge in the home.

Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s are the typical choice. VERY strong adherents to both camps for some justified reasons. The Maverick model is an economical Mossberg - nothing wrong with them.

Another to consider would be the H&R Pardner. They are chinese clones of the 870 and are very inexpensive. (New, you can find them for $160 or so. Classifieds for $200. ;)) They are very stoutly built, get good reviews and one complaint is their weight. They are heavy, no doubt, but if it is home defense only that extra weight will help absorb the recoil. I've shot some uber-light, 18.5" barrel single shot 12g's... recoil is noticeable.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I love M-1 Carbines. Had a nice one, 1st wife has it now...oh well, go figure.
    A good gun but it is a very powerful piece for home defense. A missed 1st shot could end up in the stove next door. Not so with any gauge shotty.

Well... here is a test that just happens to include both... so I'll have to disagree that with a shotgun there is no possibility of putting a round into your neighbors house.

The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 4

It is my opinion that one will shoot better (more accurately) with a gun that can be effectively handled and one that the shooter doesn't develop a flinch with. That will help insure that the rounds go into the bad guy and not the stove next door.

It also makes us think about what positions and directions in our home are defensible and minimize the chance of putting our neighbors in danger.

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    First, congratulations on your decision to be responsible for your own safety. Second, I wholeheartedly agree with those who said to seek training. Before deciding on 12 or 20, shoot both if possible, then decide. The Pardner Protector is a fine Home Defense weapon, don't let the budget price tag fool you. If you like the 12 gauge, but feel the recoil is a bit much, you can install an aftermarket recoil reducing stock. Between that and the reduced recoil loads the 12-gauge should be manageable by just about any adult. Good luck! :ar15:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Well... here is a test that just happens to include both... so I'll have to disagree that with a shotgun there is no possibility of putting a round into your neighbors house.

The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - Page 4

I agree that shotguns are capable of wall penetration (though far less so than rifles) but it was a different Box O' Truth test that convinced me to go with 20ga with buckshot as a good balance of effectiveness with minimizing wall penetration.

The Box O' Truth #22 - 20 Gauge Shotgun - Page 1

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Since you are booth newbs it will be the blind leading the blind and on a pump gun no less. Plenty of room for human error. I have shot pumps all my life. started at age 6, have 42 years experience and I know them, I don't train any family members on them. If they want to learn them well enough for HD they can, but given the choice they never do.

They go semi auto and nothing beats a light weight AR but I digress. The women here also like shotguns, 12 or 20 in semi auto. The tall one likes 20, the short one likes 12, go figure but there are reasons for the choices they each made.

Your lack of skills aside, newbs tend to do better with semi auto vs a pump. Just a simple fact, less human error in operation. If a person is too challenged to operate a semi auto, just get more revolvers and flashlights.

Any shotgun will knock a person back if the gun does not fit AKA too long. This also equates to major pain. Too heavy and it will be hard to train with it. Both equal a huge fail and she won't want to use it. It only takes a few shots to destroy a new shooter on shotguns.

A gas operated 20 is a nice blend in terms of weight and less recoil. Beretta, Remington and Saiga are good choices. For this, skip Benelli, too much recoil but the 20 is awesome.

If you know what models to look for you can find deals on used Remington 1100's. Remington Society of America - journals/1100

A small person will do better with a shorter LOP and a lighter weight gun in any gauge. Gas operated allows you to use a lighter gun and not take a beating on recoil and there are add ons that can reduce recoil even further.

Beretta 303's are my long time favorite in 20 gauge. The Saiga is what it is, do your homework. They are heavy but soft shooters.

If I was buying a new Remington shotgun for a small person, it would probably come from this page. Compact Shotguns - Remington Compact Shotguns

For a pump, an Express JR Compact in either gauge with a Knoxx/Blackhawk stock is a nice pump set up. New or used etc...I have yet to see a small framed female shooter NOT like the Knoxx stock.

Last edited:

joemich1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Don't put a gun in un trained hands, it will give someone a weapon to use against you or your wife. A gun does not shoot itself. I would suggest getting a dog or an alarm system. Service men and women who have training get shot and killed all the time. A gun is not an automatic defense weapon.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    As much as I love shotguns I am trying to figure out how new shooters often arrive at the choice of one over a handgun or low recoil rifle?

Hmmm? Lets see, handgun, .223 or shoulder mounted bazooka? Yes, we will take the bazooka.

I think it is in part a stigma associated with handguns and assault rifles. My Mom went with a revolver. My GF's mom also went with one.

The Keltec 2000 folder in 9mm and 33rd mags is a cheap solution that can kill someone dead. Sure it has some recoil but it also has 33 rounds of love too. Same goes for the old school M1A carbine, I use to have an M1A1 (the folder) that I sold due to being so valuable but it was a good little gun.

Top Bottom