• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Bah, I was prepping some brass to start reloading for the match, but I no longer trust my load.

The same load I chrono'd a couple of months ago is now 300fps or so LOWER than it was when I first tested it. Either my cheap little chrony is broken or my load is no good in this weather.

180gr BBI
    4.4gr Solo 1000
    1.125 OAL.

That load doesn't seem right to me, I am looking right now, but I shot 180 BBI and solo last year (at 1.18oal) and was loading 4.7-4.8grains and getting 167-168 power factor

wolfy25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Indy
    Bah, I was prepping some brass to start reloading for the match, but I no longer trust my load.

The same load I chrono'd a couple of months ago is now 300fps or so LOWER than it was when I first tested it. Either my cheap little chrony is broken or my load is no good in this weather.

180gr BBI
    4.4gr Solo 1000
    1.125 OAL.

Are you using a new bottle of powder? I've heard that lot 1930 is slow but not 300fps slow. I would probably suspect the Chronograph. Could also be the crono picking up powder/particles if you were standing too close.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yeah, it was MUCH colder when I got and tested this from Deaner.

Dave mentioned Solo 1000 is sensitive to heat, so that's probably a double whammy.

What powder you shooting now Jake? I may save this stuff for my Productions loads.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I still think my chrono is acting up

I tested these loads on Saturday evening when it was about 88F out and got these averages out of 10-12 rounds each.

4.3gr - 501fps
    4.4gr - 494fps
    4.5gr - 518fps
    4.6gr - 584fps
    4.7gr - 639fps

I find it hard to believe the weather would impact me this much, those are like 300fps LOWER than my tests in the spring.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Are you using a new bottle of powder? I've heard that lot 1930 is slow but not 300fps slow. I would probably suspect the Chronograph. Could also be the crono picking up powder/particles if you were standing too close.

yeah, this is a bottle I picked up last month at Hoosier Gun Club.

I was probably 5-7 feet away, my next test will be 10-15 feet.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I switched to Winchester WSF, about the same smoke, felt alot softer then Solo.

I switched to 165gr Montana Golds and use tightgroup, but just got some 170 Precision Bullets and loaded them with tightgroup, pretty smokey.

I have some WSF left if you want to try it.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have to think it's my chrony, browsing Enos I still see money of the Solo 1000 loads between 4.4-4.8.

Do we chrono before we start? I gonna try to have some Precision Cartridge ammo as a backup

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have to think it's my chrony, browsing Enos I still see money of the Solo 1000 loads between 4.4-4.8.

Do we chrono before we start? I gonna try to have some Precision Cartridge ammo as a backup

Nope
    Chrono is basically a stage in the match. You will shoot your match ammo (which has to be the same match ammo that shoot the entire match) to determine whether you are major or minor.
    All the same rules apply to chrono as any other stage, you cannot handle your gun until the RO ask for it, you will hand him your gun and an empty mag.
    8 rounds of your match ammo will be collected on your first stage, it will be picked up and taken to chrono. He will pull one bullet and weigh it before you ever get there.
    Once you get there he will pull your bag, take your bullet wieght and record it. Then shoot 3 rounds over the chrono taking the average and then your bullet weight to determine your Power Factor.
    If you don't make it he will shoot 3 more, taking the 3 highest of the 6 rounds and determine the power factor.
    If you don't make it then they he will offer to either pull and weigh another round or shoot it.
    Then figures the 3 highest from the 7 rounds fired or the higher of the 6 fired and the new bullet weight from the one pulled and the 3 highest.

pretty simple, but if you declare major and don't make it then you are shooting minor for the whole match.

If you are shooting minor and don't make it then you are shooting for fun.

He will also check your SS to make sure it makes wieght and fits the box, and same with Production.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    JT
    I have run into the same problem, I can't get my Chrono to read at all.
    I am going to use precision for this match and hope it makes major.
    I may have a little extra, if you are in need let me know.
    see you Friday

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    pretty simple, but if you declare major and don't make it then you are shooting minor for the whole match.

If you are shooting minor and don't make it then you are shooting for fun.

He will also check your SS to make sure it makes wieght and fits the box, and same with Production.

And if you don't make weight or fit in the box......welcome to Open!!!

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    It always cracks me up at the Single Stack Nats when the scores come out, there are invariably 2-5 guns in the "Open" division.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I always keep a couple 20 round mags for my beretta in my "extra stuff" bag I take to matches... would make a bump to open slightly more bearable. Never happened since I know my gear is legal, but I think of them as tallismans that ward off the "oops" (all it takes is to accidently slip an 11th round into a mag in PD).

-rvb

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm getting pretty excited as well. I'm about to hit the basement and load a few extra rounds just in case

Top Bottom