• Status
    Not open for further replies.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Brain is too tired to be coherent tonight. If someone has a sample letter to PM me (can't find one in the thread), I would be very grateful. I know this needs to be logical and my brain is not cooperating right now.

Thank you!

Do you use facebook? I/We (IMAGC) have a few on our page that would work as starters / or form letters ... but they are older as this went through the process. I hope to have something more up to date and also debunking the claims used against this sometime tomorrow. I will also be sharing here as I have been ...

I wouldn't send the same letter to Austin and Lawson as I would the rest. They deserve "special" attention and education.

I agree; these two really need to be reached out and have the points explained by the (former) coworkers - LEO's and Teachers. ... as well as the rest of us. - Also constituents in their districts.

Also, we have an update coming up later or IMAGC, I'll be back and post /share it here for those who aren't on Facebutt.
    as ... I know half or more of you don't like Facebook - but it is a way to reach those that are NOT firearm enthusiasts and are not on INGO / other forums ... to share information to wider audience. ... so if you ARE there - check us out and help "save a sheep" ... Thanks.

Thanks.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You are wasting your time with LAWSON.
    LAWSON will not change her mind.
    Even if the entire population of NWI attempted to talk to her.
    Unless the Mayor of Hammond tells her otherwise she will be voting against 2A period.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK...
    The conferees:

Sen. Jim Tomes - Absolutely 100% pro-gun rights. We would be hard-pressed to find someone better in the Indiana Senate fighting for our rights. Committee chairman.
    Sen. Richard Young - Highly rated, pro-gun rights Democrat. I think he'll be OK.

Rep. Sean Eberhart - Outspoken, not afraid to say what he thinks. I've met him only very briefly, but seen him in committee and on the floor. An excellent choice for Republican Representative.
    Rep. Linda Lawson - Also outspoken, but works more from emotion than fact. Makes sure you know she's former LEO, and uses that as a bludgeon. Or perhaps a baton.

The advisors:

Sen. Brandt Hershman - I'm very pleased to see Sen. Hershman as an advisor. His will be a voice of reason with the likes of Rep. Lawson and others.
    Sen. Lindel Hume - Despite being a Democrat, Sen. Hume is an ardent defender of gun rights. He's the only Dem I'd want on the committee in Sen. Young's place.
    Sen. Brent Steele - I've seen good things from him in committees and on the floor. He's made it known that he carries as well.

Rep. Jud McMillin - Another outspoken pro-gun rights Representative. I know Rep. Lucas thinks highly of him, and that he worked on getting HB 1048's language back before the Legislature.
    Rep. Jim Lucas - The original author of HB 1048. An unquestioned supporter of the 2A and defender of our rights. It's a pleasure to see him involved here.
    Rep. Tom Dermody - The committee chairman of the House Public Policy committee. Ardent pro-rights supporter.
    Rep Alan Morrison - This is the first impression I've had of Rep. Morrison, however his voting record looks fine. I'm glad to see him advising here.
    Rep. Jerry Torr - Rep. Torr has been vocal on pro-gun rights bills for at least the last few years I've been watching. He'll be an excellent advisor on this committee.
    Rep. Terri Austin - Not quite as vocal as Rep. Lawson, but Rep. Austin has been ambivalent on 2A issues over the last few years.
    Rep. Ryan Dvorak - B- from the NRA, Rep. Dvorak voted in favor of preemption and has few if any bad votes on gun rights. A good counterbalance (hopefully) to Rep. Austin.

Of note: The above are my impressions and are not to be considered binding in any way.

I'd also like to note that while our initial inclination may be to fire off a "slam" to the Democrat members of the committee, I strongly advise against doing so. Keep your letters polite. You will NOT win them over with anything else. (You may not even with that, but the other has zero chance of success.)
    Keep in mind that they were elected in strongly-Democratic areas, and they are serving the majority of their constituents even if their votes are not what we would like to see.
    You may have some success with logical, rational reasoning. That's what my letters will be: Calm, rational, respectful, and logical.

They already think of us as gun-totin' buffoons, unsafe with anything more than a Nerf pistol. Let's prove them wrong on all counts, other than the fact that we do carry firearms.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I'd also like to note that while our initial inclination may be to fire off a "slam" to the Democrat members of the committee, I strongly advise against doing so. Keep your letters polite. You will NOT win them over with anything else. (You may not even with that, but the other has zero chance of success.)
    Keep in mind that they were elected in strongly-Democratic areas, and they are serving the majority of their constituents even if their votes are not what we would like to see.
    You may have some success with logical, rational reasoning. That's what my letters will be: Calm, rational, respectful, and logical.

Good Summary BoR ... I did some looking at the records, and I concur. Lawson is the main concern, with Austin's support. Lawson's beating the MdA quotes pretty hard.
    I agree w/ the quoted section as imprerative ... but Firm solid facts - and if you're LEO or Teacher (and a Parent / mom ) I'd point that out.
    Make sure she knows the MdA 's are not the only moms speaking up in this state.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I'd really like to have a conversation with Lawson and Austin. I haven't received a single response from them defending their positions. On the other hand, I receive positive emails from those that don't use emotions on this issue.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    In all honesty, while Rep. Lawson is the conferee, I think she's there (as is Rep. Austin) primarily because of your quoting what Speaker Bosma said, that the Republican side is a "six-shooter"... which I interpret to mean that all of them are pro-gun rights. Let's face it, if the House Dems did not put someone with a counterbalance to that on the committee, it would be too easy to point to and say that it was nothing more than a rubber stamp. This way, the anti-rights crowd gets their say, they get to make their points at every level (and clearly, Rep. Lawson has done exactly that) and the committee can give her a fair hearing. They say if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck, however, there may be a day when the House, the Governor's office, or even the Senate may swing Democrat again. We all remember how Obama was quoted as telling conservatives, in essence, "You lost, get over it. If you want things your way, win the next election." (that's a paraquote, not an exact, despite the quotation marks) and when he did that, it kinda stung. I think it's better to take the high road and not do that back... even if Pat Bauer was well-known for gaveling down opposition and apparently trying to make the House consist of him and him alone. By setting the better example, the people get to see how each side does things, and get to choose the better way.

Again, IMHO.

Reps. Lawson and Austin may be vocal and they might even choose to act obnoxiously wrong-headed about this bill, but ultimately, Sens. Tomes and Young, and Rep. Eberhart outnumber Rep. Lawson among the conferees, and all the others greatly outnumber Rep. Austin among the advisors.

In spite of this, I suspect the conferees will be more than willing to give her her say and let her try to convince them of the correctness of her view. If she can do so with facts, more power to her. If all she has is opinion and emotion.... I think she's fighting a losing battle and may as well stay home.

Blessings,
    Bill

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Good points. I hope the conferees educate her a bit on her points as well. From what I am hearing, they know their facts and are willing to share them with the emotions crowd.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Well I guess if you poke the bear enough it will respond. I received an email from Rep. Lawson this morning. She is relying upon her LEO experience and emotions on this issue, and even admitted it herself. We NEED our men/women in blue to contact her!

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    Can someone post a sample letter and tell who are the key (most important) members to contact?

I already contacted my senate rep for my district asking for his support.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Can someone post a sample letter and tell who are the key (most important) members to contact?

I already contacted my senate rep for my district asking for his support.

See Bill of Rights post # 323 this thread ... and / or

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...un-pro-hunting-legislation-2.html#post4869301

my post here. ... There is a sample letter on IMAGC facebook page (look for post from 02/27); and BoR has a sample a few pages ago in this thread. I am planning an updated letter for IMAGC later today.

Others here, if you've asked, used or I've provided a sample - as per IMAGC stuff - feel free to share.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I just sent my letter to Rep. Lawson. I don't know if it will do any good, but I hope I gave her some things to think about.

Also: The Conference Committee for SB 229 is Monday, 3/10/14, at 0900, in room 431. I will be watching. If I can, depending on work the night before, I may just be there in person.

Blessings,
    Bill

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Letters sent to all of the legislative critters on the committee. Friends at the local fish and game club are doing the same. We NEED this one to pass :)

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Below is the text of a Legislative Alert sent out by the Indiana Non-Public Education Association... I have contacted each person listed with my thoughts on the issue....perhaps others will feel the need to do so as well.....(And the ideas expressed in this post, or any others by me on this site are mine and do not necessarily(certainly rarely) reflect those of my employer....)

Legislative Alert - SB229

Guns on School Property
    Next Monday at 9:00 am ET the House and Senate will consider language that was added to Senate Bill 229, that would greatly increase the access of young people to guns in schools, day cares, preschools, residential child care facilities, and Head Start programs.

1. SB 229 takes away all power from schools and teachers to create gun safe zones for the safety of their students and staff, by prohibiting rules banning employees from bringing guns locked in their cars.

2. By redefining on what school property it would be a crime to possess firearms, SB 229 would allow firearms inside school buildings, if that building is not being used exclusively for a school function.

3. By redefining school property, SB 229 also completely decriminalizes possession of a firearm, by anyone other than an enrolled student, in the parking lots of schools, day cares, preschools, residential child care facilities, and Head Start programs.

4. SB 229 almost completely decriminalizes leaving a gun in plain view on the seat of an unlocked car in school parking lots.It protects irresponsible gun owners who leave loaded weapons unlocked and in plain view of children.

The Senate has never held a public hearing to hear and consider the consequences of this very serious change in the law.

Please call your state Senator to express your concerns with this language. Ask that the House amendment be taken out of SB 229 as it was never heard in the Senate, and that this is such a serious issue, with significant ramifications, that it should not pass at least until fully considered and vetted by the Senate.

Legislator's Contact Information

In addition to your state senator, please also contact:

Senator Jim Tomes: s49@in.gov,
    317-232-9442 (Business)
    812-985-5473 (District)
    317-232-9414 (Statehouse)

Senator Richard Young: s47@in.gov
    (317)232-9847

President Pro-Tem David Long: s16@in.gov
    260-436-7100 (Business)
    317-232-9416 (Statehouse)

Speaker Brian Bosma: h88@iga.in.gov
    317-232-9605 (Business)
    317-233-0539 (Statehouse Fax)
    317-232-9657 (Statehouse)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    JD31, that is not my understanding of this bill. Thank you for posting. It is interesting to s ee the misinfomation thatvis out there. Of course maybe I misread something. But this bill does decriminalize guns on school property or protect irresponsible gun owners. It does th e opposite in protecting responsible gun owners.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Less than two days left! Write your Senator. Here is an example...change the wording as you wish..

Dear Senator (Insert Senator Name Here),

I am writing you today to voice my support for Senate Bill 229 in its amended form. As a law abiding citizen of Indiana, this bill as written is common sense legislation. Passing this bill would allow me to legally pickup my son from school, and lock my handgun out of sight in my vehicle, while I am there, instead of making a trip home to secure it. As the law currently sits, no matter if my son is sick or injured, I need to take extra time to go home, secure my gun, and then proceed to school to pick him up. I am very pleased that this amended version of SB229 passed the House, but is now up to you to pass this in the Senate.

I ask that you support SB 229 in its amended form, that you vote to pass this language and protect good citizens from being victimized by the very law that is supposed to be protecting them.

Most sincerely, and with thanks,

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Emails sent ... will try and make calls Monday during my prep period.

Really really really tempted to call out the INPEA about the incorrect information they are spouting ... and how offended I am as a teacher that they don't understand the current law and the proposed changes. Won't make much difference, but is tempting.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Short time frame resulted in emails being sent. Some of the dems are difficult to locate, but I took some wild stabs which seemed to have gone through (assuming they take the time to read through my email of course)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If you know beyond a shadow of a doubt your Representative's district number, you can write them at [noparse]h#@iga.in.gov[/noparse], replacing the # with the number of the district. For example, Rep. Linda Lawson is district 1, so [noparse]h1@iga.in.gov[/noparse] is her address.

The same is true for Senators, but replace the H with an S.

Do be absolutely certain of the district number... There is no double-check on this method, and if it goes to the wrong one, there's no guarantee they'll forward it to the right one.

Blessings,
    Bill

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If you know beyond a shadow of a doubt your Representative's district number, you can write them at [noparse]h#@iga.in.gov[/noparse], replacing the # with the number of the district. For example, Rep. Linda Lawson is district 1, so [noparse]h1@iga.in.gov[/noparse] is her address.

The same is true for Senators, but replace the H with an S.

Do be absolutely certain of the district number... There is no double-check on this method, and if it goes to the wrong one, there's no guarantee they'll forward it to the right one.

Blessings,
    Bill
    i gathered this and took no chances using both 1 and 01 for Lawson. h1@iga.in.gov got through :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom