2015 Survival fishing contest. Any interest?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Not sure what you're asking. I dressed the hook with thread, tied in the "cord," advanced thread to the eye, then whip finished. Prepped the ear plug by heating up my bodkin (needle type thing) and stuck it through to make a hole. Put superglue on the hook and slid the ear plug on. I put some more super glue on the "face" of the plug to make it hard. Prettied it up with a marker.
    That gives me the details I was looking for. I have never tied flies so my base knowledge is low. Next time I am in town I will hit the local rod shop for some thread. (FYI Their rods were featured in the first episode of the new season river monsters. Fish on!)

In a madmax world we will need thread and the skill to use it. Between picking up fly fishing, going through some of my collection of old tackle and this thread I am inspired.

i found some interesting guts/thread in an old boot lace. Also, can you find a use for 22lr brass?

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That gives me the details I was looking for. I have never tied flies so my base knowledge is low. Next time I am in town I will hit the local rod shop for some thread. (FYI Their rods were featured in the first episode of the new season river monsters. Fish on!)

In a madmax world we will need thread and the skill to use it. Between picking up fly fishing, going through some of my collection of old tackle and this thread I am inspired.

i found some interesting guts/thread in an old boot lace. Also, can you find a use for 22lr brass?

You are going to need a vise of some sort and a bobbin holder to tie efficiently. These can be had pretty cheap, or you can spend a fortune. I have an old vise laying around I could send to you. It's really nothing special, and probably could be bought for $10-$20. Check out craigslist for used vises, etc. I got a ton of material, along with the tools for cheap.

.22lr brass is going to take some thought. I could see using it in the same way of the ear plug, but you're going to have to drill a hole, and add a ton of foam to make it float. I could see putting some bb's or something in there and sealing up the end to make a rattle. Getting it secure on the shank may prove difficult.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Rattle, good one. It could be sealed with small heat shrink tube. Stuffed inside a wine cork or secured to a large hook with larger heat shrink. I am also thinking split it length wise to make 2 wings. I have a small hobby vise I need to dig out.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, I guess I'll post the first fish in this contest. Finally made it out to the pond. After catching a dozen or so on a small clouser, I decided to switch to the "plug" fly. I had quite a few strikes, but no hookups. I think they were short striking the tail. Anyway, on my way back to the truck, I made a cast. I let the ripples settle, then started my retrieve. Out of nowhere, I see a wake, then the mouth. Chomp! Fish on! Hard to tell from the pic (I wanted to make sure to get the fly in the pic) this 18" CHUNK inhaled the fly. I guess it works.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I am going to make one twice as ugly and half as good then take it to the test pond. Now that I have my fly casting warmed up I am catching a lot of small bass and gills in there. Largest bass in there so far is 14". Largest Brook trout is 13.5" so I tend to ignore the bass.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I need to make a few changes to the fly. I noticed that the tail kept getting fouled up. I think a loop of mono or some buck tail under the tail would make it not foul as much. Other than that, I think the fly performed great. It pops well, with a deep gurgle.

For the next fly, I'm going to try to flip the plug around 180*, making more of a diver, along with the tail modifications.

Top Bottom