• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Trying to send an email to the DNR but keep getting an error message that the web server may be down or too busy

Just got it through. That's one for adding centerfires for deer hunting

Last edited:

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    I find it interesting that nobody talks about youth hunting in all of this. I have taken my two sons to Kentucky the past several years, and my oldest son shot his first deer with a youth model 243. Kentucky benefits economically from our deer regs - I spent quite a bit of money on lodging, food, deer license, etc...
    It's easier for a 10-12 year old to accurately shoot a 243 than a 20 gauge slug gun. They can shoot more often, which increases their accuracy and they have fun doing it.
    That's why I'm going to keep taking my boys to Kentucky for deer hunting until Indiana changes the archaic deer regs.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I find it interesting that nobody talks about youth hunting in all of this. I have taken my two sons to Kentucky the past several years, and my oldest son shot his first deer with a youth model 243. Kentucky benefits economically from our deer regs - I spent quite a bit of money on lodging, food, deer license, etc...
    It's easier for a 10-12 year old to accurately shoot a 243 than a 20 gauge slug gun. They can shoot more often, which increases their accuracy and they have fun doing it.
    That's why I'm going to keep taking my boys to Kentucky for deer hunting until Indiana changes the archaic deer regs.

YES!

I agree wholeheartedly.

.243 is the logical first stepping stone in the hunting rifle progression.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    The push is for a deer hunting season to use a center fire rifle on private land. I cant see it mention for public land as well. I could see they creating the season for the use of centerfire rifles after muzzleloader season just to limit the use even more as a large number of hunters would already have filled their tags and it would be much colder which some hunters do not like so with this is making it only available on private land, would really limit the number of hunters using centerfire rifles. I would be ok with it as it would be the first step to allowing CF during the regular rifle season and on public land as well.

If a youth can't handle a .357 mag or a 45 LC than they probably should not be hunting until they can.

I believe the a youth should start with a 22LR first.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    The push is for a deer hunting season to use a center fire rifle on private land. I cant see it mention for public land as well. I could see they creating the season for the use of centerfire rifles after muzzleloader season just to limit the use even more as a large number of hunters would already have filled their tags and it would be much colder which some hunters do not like so with this is making it only available on private land, would really limit the number of hunters using centerfire rifles. I would be ok with it as it would be the first step to allowing CF during the regular rifle season and on public land as well.

If a youth can't handle a .357 mag or a 45 LC than they probably should not be hunting until they can.

I believe the a youth should start with a 22LR first.

I'm good with any steps closer. I only hunt on private land so it will benefit me the first year.

Having lived in other states, I can say from what I've seen, Indiana is the only place where anyone even mentions hunting with a .357 or .44 rifle or something along those lines. In PA when I was growing up, if you say you went hunting with a .44, everyone understood you were using a revolver. No one I knew ever considered hunting with a .44 rifle. I believe the idea that youth start with those rifles here comes from the lack of choices that have long been available to Indiana youth.

Down south, 9 year old routinely whack deer with .243 cause, well, that's just what you do. .22 or .410 for squirrels, 20 ga for rabbits and .243 for deer until you got to be about 12 or so and you moved up in caliber. (We actually moved up cause of ego, more than anything else. Looking back, it would've been better to stick with the less recoil, lighter guns that killed just as quickly :) )

I've said this a bunch of times and apparently this rule makes sense to someone in DNR somewhere, but for it to be legal to shoot up in trees at squirrels with a .30-06 but say shooting at deer with a .30-06 is too dangerous to surrounding houses is something that will boggle my mind for the rest of my days. I can understand restricting firearms by area (dense population) but I don't get restricting firearms to species: shooting a rifle at a coyote from a deer stand is safe, shooting a rifle at a deer from a deer stand is dangerous. I won't try to change anyone's opinion of it, but for the life of me, I will never understand it.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Why would you want to allow people to use a round that is more forgiving in both wind and distance adjustments? We here in Indiana enjoy seeing people wound deer...

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    A couple years ago, down in Kentucky, was hoping to find 22 ammo in the sporting goods section. Of course, no such luck, however the conversation with the counter help turned to Indiana's "unique" pistol caliber rifles we use. I asked if he had any 44 mag, and he said "Oh, you take a revolver deer hunting?" Then I started explaining I had a Ruger 77/44 in stainless steel. His response was pure entertainment....

"Ya'll aren't huntin' right!!! Down here you just take a 50 BMG in a hollow point. You don't shoot in the side; you hit Bambi straight on!!! The 50 BMG just goes straight thru and the hollow point 'guts' the deer as it passes out the rear end. KAZAAM!!! you got a gutted and filleted bambi!!!!!"

I chuckled the rest of the day.....

shootr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    I moved to Indiana from West Virginia, were 30-30's, 35 Remingtons, 30-06's and my trusty 270 Winchester are legal. I understand both sides of this issue, it just seems to me the current law as written is very confusing. I love hunting with my 35 Remington, and also would love to us it here in Indiana. I just wish they would clean up the rules, so they are easier to understand. I would opt for areas or even particular counties to start of with, just to see if the dangers they speak of are fact or just political mumbo jumbo. I would sign a petition to change the rules to clean them up, even to allow modern center fire rifles. They need to fix the current rules and clean up the confusion.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I can see that the bill was read on Jan 11th and the date targeted for it to be in effect is July 6 this year but when is the next action due for this bill? When does DNR have to respond?

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    I moved to Indiana from West Virginia, were 30-30's, 35 Remingtons, 30-06's and my trusty 270 Winchester are legal. I understand both sides of this issue, it just seems to me the current law as written is very confusing. I love hunting with my 35 Remington, and also would love to us it here in Indiana. I just wish they would clean up the rules, so they are easier to understand. I would opt for areas or even particular counties to start of with, just to see if the dangers they speak of are fact or just political mumbo jumbo. I would sign a petition to change the rules to clean them up, even to allow modern center fire rifles. They need to fix the current rules and clean up the confusion.

35Rem is legal if you trim the case down to 1.8" or under. I would trim to 1.79" to be on safe side. If you don't reload maybe another member/reloader could help you out.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Screw PA.
    Tired of how everything is referenced from there, NY or Wis.

Ruger came out with the .44 auto when? In the freakin' 60's..................must have some market for it.
    Sure as heck wasn't Indiana deer huntin'. Or PA with their progressive thinking of no semi autos allowed.

When did Browning do their 92 in .44 mag? Or Winchester 94?

And that .30-06 for squirrel in trees nonsense.................horrible attempt at an argument. Drop it.
    Makes one look like a moron for even mentioning it, as if what is legal always makes up for common sense.

Remember, the majority of deer hunters are probably not gun people.
    And the rules as written now are not hard to understand, nor is the progression of them to this point.

If one doesn't understand them...........well that's just more reason to NOT allow reg HP rifle.
    Not confusing at all.

If one simply doesn't like them, that's a different matter.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    35Rem is legal if you trim the case down to 1.8" or under. I would trim to 1.79" to be on safe side. If you don't reload maybe another member/reloader could help you out.

BK Bullet Casting in Peru will load them for you (cut your cases too).
    That reminds me, gotta go visit pops and pick up my new RCBS .35 Rem dies.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    And that .30-06 for squirrel in trees nonsense.................horrible attempt at an argument. Drop it.
    Makes one look like a moron for even mentioning it, as if what is legal always makes up for common sense.

The 30-06 analogy is not nonsense. It illustrates that the caliber restrictions that we are under is not for safety (as you advocate), but for deer population control.

I argue that Indiana can regulate the deer population with tags and not these crazy caliber restrictions.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    BK Bullet Casting in Peru will load them for you (cut your cases too).
    That reminds me, gotta go visit pops and pick up my new RCBS .35 Rem dies.

Is there anyone around Indianapolis that will reload the 35 REM? Not against the drive so I can finally use my 1950's era Marlin. Wouldn't mind grabbing a 2 boxes, one for sighting in and a second to get me by for a few years of hunting.

Top Bottom